First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I think that a turbo on the 3.6 is an ideal solution. But I'm not certain that everything is figured out yet.
Sponsored

FlyByU

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
I think that a turbo on the 3.6 is an ideal solution. But I'm not certain that everything is figured out yet.
The tuning is the variable from what Ive seen. Each tuner is going to have their own level of experience and unless they have a bunch of jeep experience, its going to be a bit of a learning curve. And of course the JL is new so there are some quirks that will be new to tuners. The canned tune that comes with the kit is passable but no way a refined product.

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
Yes it voids all powertrain warranty. With the mesh in I was overheating on big hills or mountain passes so I had to pull the mesh. I have been working on the tuning as I drive across the country. There has been a LOT of changes made to the tuning by my own tuner since prodigy was really of no real help in updating the tuning. I know of a few other people having similar or worse issues than myself. We will have a video coming out in the next few weeks
I wonder if you swap out a gladiator's front grill for your wrangler grill if that would help since its slots and mesh are wider for better cooling?

Screenshot_20190514-083117_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190514-083135_Chrome.jpg

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
I wonder if you swap out a gladiator's front grill for your wrangler grill if that would help since its slots and mesh are wider for better cooling?

Screenshot_20190514-083117_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190514-083135_Chrome.jpg
It might help although I have never been a fan of the hot pipes or turbo location on the prodigy kit. They like to point out how so many OEM's are going to turbo but they have way more hot pipes under the the hood than any OEM turbo setup. OEM's mount the turbo as close to the head as possible where the turbo is most efficient and have turbo situated so you have short downpipe out of the engine compartment. The prodigy kit has the turbo in front of the engine and then wraps the downpipe around the engine compartment. It would be a fine setup for a race car making short pulls but on a lifted jeep with big tires where you could be in boost for extended periods of time going up hills and what not, not a ideal setup IMO.

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
The tuning is the variable from what Ive seen. Each tuner is going to have their own level of experience and unless they have a bunch of jeep experience, its going to be a bit of a learning curve. And of course the JL is new so there are some quirks that will be new to tuners. The canned tune that comes with the kit is passable but no way a refined product.
The tune that came with it was pretty much only a start and drive tune. Nothing else was ok. It had lots of issues unfortunately. The kit should not be sold as a 100% done kit but rather a “tuner” kit that has everything needed but a complete tune needs to be done. I haven’t found anyone with a completely good oem type quality running turbo yet. Lots of little annoying issues

Sponsored

FlyByU

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
The tune that came with it was pretty much only a start and drive tune. Nothing else was ok. It had lots of issues unfortunately. The kit should not be sold as a 100% done kit but rather a “tuner” kit that has everything needed but a complete tune needs to be done. I haven’t found anyone with a completely good oem type quality running turbo yet. Lots of little annoying issues
I think we've gotten virtually all of my quirks cleaned up.

Surging?
Dead pedal?
Pulse at 2000 rpm?

Anything you find beyond that? Most of mine was cleaned up with a total rescale of the injectors. We also are messing with cam position and believe it or not, controlling when the boost comes in. Its a totally different animal compared to what it was with the canned tune. I dont disagree with you on the included tune, its not refined at all.

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
I think we've gotten virtually all of my quirks cleaned up.

Surging?
Dead pedal?
Pulse at 2000 rpm?

Anything you find beyond that? Most of mine was cleaned up with a total rescale of the injectors. We also are messing with cam position and believe it or not, controlling when the boost comes in. Its a totally different animal compared to what it was with the canned tune. I dont disagree with you on the included tune, its not refined at all.
What shop did your tune?

FlyByU

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hess Tuning out of Seattle. I am very embedded in the HEMI world and work with a bunch of tuners. My go to is usually Hemituner Performance or High Horse Performance but for the remote tuning I wanted to do, Mike Hess of Hess Tuning is the man!!!!

http://hemerace.com

That's my real world when it comes to performance lol.

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
Hess Tuning out of Seattle. I am very embedded in the HEMI world and work with a bunch of tuners. My go to is usually Hemituner Performance or High Horse Performance but for the remote tuning I wanted to do, Mike Hess of Hess Tuning is the man!!!!

http://hemerace.com

That's my real world when it comes to performance lol.
Thank you!!!

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This thread was a damned cliffhanger I couldn't stop reading. Sorry about your engine. I'll head back to the no-boost land..

Sponsored

EK15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Totally agree .. There is no point of having FI kit when the tune is not ready ... add to that you will be dealing with BETA version from Hptuners .. I am not sure if thats what you really want to spent your money on ... not now at least ...

schumbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Quick Survey - What is the highest mileage people have on their Prodigy Turbo kit with a MANUAL transmission with 3.6 Jeep JL?

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
Quick Survey - What is the highest mileage people have on their Prodigy Turbo kit with a MANUAL transmission with 3.6 Jeep JL?
I was wondering the same until I started reading about the terribly inadequate ECU tuning. I would suggest you don't take a chance on this until there's a definitive "fix' from Prodigy. For now it seems that this turbo kit works only where high octane fuel is available. If you venture into high altitude or low octane areas of the country, you'll probably run into trouble.

schumbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I was wondering the same until I started reading about the terribly inadequate ECU tuning. I would suggest you don't take a chance on this until there's a definitive "fix' from Prodigy. For now it seems that this turbo kit works only where high octane fuel is available. If you venture into high altitude or low octane areas of the country, you'll probably run into trouble.
@Prodigy Performance - Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited: