Prodigy Performance JL Stage 2 Turbo Kit installed

Goblin42

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Based on your feedback I have decided to install a gauge package I have put together. All gauges are Digital from Glowshift. I can’t A-Pillar mount them because of the grab handle on my JL but I found the perfect dash mount pod.

82362FD9-87E4-422E-94CA-F5BDE2E854C7.jpeg

3899423F-69A1-446D-B68B-82047E175388.jpeg

57202455-C3B5-4B62-B90F-87FE1D75F280.jpeg

AA9BAA37-4CE6-45A3-B5E9-D53E134C20FE.jpeg
I loved my glowshift set up. i had needles though.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jimlove9771

jimlove9771

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Retird
Jim - thanks for the PM and I responded to you via email. For public consumption, in no way did I intend my comments to be a "scathing put-down" of Wes or the fine folks at Prodigy. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt as I super - respect the undoubtedly big investment they've made to bring a performance kit to market! Way too easy for us to sit here in our glass houses and throw rocks and that wasn't the intention. That said, the A/F curve that you published definitely looked like a work-in-progress and to all those with an experienced eye toward forced induction tuning, I believe they would agree. As I said, I hope that the subsequent tunes you may have received are improvements to what was shown. As an early adopter, I simply believe it would behoove you to have a means to occasionally check/validate your AF's as that is what will keep your engine safe.
I have explained to Wes that your intent was not to put him down. I don’t want you to feel that I am usuing your comments to in anyway shame or otherwise upset him. I merely wanted him to consider other opinions professionals. This whole thing is about two (or more) heads are better than one.

I don’t know yet exactly what he as done but he has sent something with respect to modifications to the waste gate. It is my understanding that the waste gate contributes to the maximum allowable boost of the system by changing the spring rates and strengths. I should find out Monday more info and will keep you informed if you are interested. If you would rather bow out of all of this I will certainly understand.

If not, I reminded Wes of your comments about i5 being too rich and the disturbing trend of rising as it nears the rev limit. We sha

Sponsored

OP
OP
jimlove9771

jimlove9771

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retird
He mentioned a revised tune being sent and amen to all of the above. The tune is so important, Ill start with the canned tune but will be custom tuned within days if my install.
If you do decide to get a custom tune I strongly suggest you consider OST Dyno. Mike is the owner and primary tuner. His company is one of the four which helped Prodigy Performance develop their “canned” tune. I am considering getting a custom tune myself and will certainly use OST if I do.

OP
OP
jimlove9771

jimlove9771

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retird
00DADA6E-2DC2-4BB1-857F-D5F631827262.jpeg
2F9B7451-4ADC-4955-BB86-1C938A6701BA.jpeg
Ok guys I have completed installati9n of the gauge cluster as promised. Remember these ar 10 color capable so you can chose what you like including multiple colors.

FlyByU

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
I'll be using AJ of Hemituner Performance for my custom calibrations. Been my tuner for 8 years in multiple cars, nobody better in my opinion.

FlyByU

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hoping to join your team in about 2 weeks, my kit shipped today. Install scheduled on Feb 11-12.

Reactions: JAY

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@jimlove9771 Nice build. Love the torque and horse power gains. I have a totally noob question. Is the new turbo kit totally sealed and tested for water fording? I understand the mechanics of turbo and how the whole thing works, but just wondering if Jeep did anything special on their end to make sure that the system was capable of water fording and whether anything is getting lost with the turbo kit upgrade.

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
@jimlove9771 Nice build. Love the torque and horse power gains. I have a totally noob question. Is the new turbo kit totally sealed and tested for water fording? I understand the mechanics of turbo and how the whole thing works, but just wondering if Jeep did anything special on their end to make sure that the system was capable of water fording and whether anything is getting lost with the turbo kit upgrade.
Turbo systems are indeed sealed, the only issue one MIGHT have is thermal shock....so if you've been running hard offroad, and got your iron turbo/manifold nice and hot, and then you have to cross a stream, the dunking/splashing of ice cold water MAY create an issue with a cracked manifold, and something I'd definitely keep in mind when playing with water.

Bocephus1963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon. 1976 K5 Blazer. 1995 S10 Blazer 4wd
Occupation
Forklift Operator
Just curious, you still running the factory radiator and fan? Was wondering how your coolant temp was.

Tragdor

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome build, and super happy for you to push ahead on what YOU want, not what others think you should have. Great stuff and wishing the best of luck!!

Coming from the turbo 4 world and having some tuning (although only marginally better than total beginner), I'd agree with what many folks have said. For starters, getting a A/F ratio gauge - which you just completed (Excellent!).

Ideally, you'll also get some sort of logging software to watch AFRs, knock, timing and injector cycle duty (how hard are your fuel injectors running at a given load). It's super helpful to see what things were doing after the fact, as it will help you catch any problems that could potentially damage the engine.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
It is my understanding that the waste gate contributes to the maximum allowable boost of the system by changing the spring rates and strengths.
Jim - really seems like a great project. I look forward to hear more about your A/F stability as the kit & tune continues to mature. Additional customers will also help! As in the dyno sheets I emailed you, as the knowledge base and overall system matures, I expect that your going to have a more stable boost curve. Boost should ramp up to the target psi and assuming load stays the same (WOT, for example), boost should be a flat line. (It is essential to get a handle on smooth, consistent boost - otherwise tuning becomes a LOT more complicated!) The wastegate will have a physical spring in it and this spring is generally about 1/2 the maximum psi that you want the system to have. For example, if you want to run a max of 8psi of boost, the wastegate will have ~4psi spring in it. With this physical set-up (and nothing else), the turbo would ramp to 4psi and the wastegate would open. So, in addition to the wastegate spring, a system will also employ a regulator. The regulator can either be purely mechanical or electro-mechanical (controlled by an electronic device). Either way, the regulator will ADD (air) to the resistance of the physical wastegate spring..... so now the wastegate has to overcome the spring AND this air pressure. Fundamentally the idea is that this additive air (especially when controlled electronically via a boost control solenoid) can give you a smooth, linear and controlled boost curve. Hope this helps you to at least have a conceptual understanding of these key components.

I am excited to see how this system progresses!

OP
OP
jimlove9771

jimlove9771

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retird
Thanks for all of your complementary comments and helpful suggestions. For those interested I have entered into a contract with OST Dyno to work out a “Remote tune” which is accomplished by my utilizing an HPVi2 tuner and associated VMS software (Editor and Scanner). I receive emailed tunes from Mike@OSTDyno and then make test runs in my Jeep while recording ODB2 data and then send the files back to Mike. We will go back and forth until an optimum tune is achieved. When it is all done I will get one final Dyno test and post it for all of you to see and learn. I will also get a final 0-60 and 1/4 mi time run. It hopefully will substantially improve on my 5.51 and 14.23 times thus far.
Sponsored