Sponsored

ProCharger Supercharger system for JL Wrangler (Now Shipping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tristanc

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Yes, they are sending the HP Tuners cable. I believe they have the bypass under control, as they figured out the no-start issue after the first couple back and forth of mailing in the PCM. Now it starts but runs heavy and dies after a minute, from what I understand. I actually hope it's something silly and they figure it out today or tomorrow, whenever the cable shows up.
Sponsored

FlyByU

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Sounds like they are going to send a revised tune or two to take care of you. Bummer but progress is a win. Id ask to keep that HP Tuners cable after they fix you up, its a very nice piece of hardware that will get you out of a spot every now and then. Lots of capability.

tristanc

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
@tristanc did you get your problem solved??
Yes, finally. Turns out it was a faulty MAF sensor that was giving incorrect readings. It must be super rare otherwise I'd expect that to be one of the first things to check, instead of wasting time on the tune. Once they swapped that out for a good one they were able to apply the original tune and it started right up.

I picked it up yesterday and it seems to run great, though we had a snowstorm come through on Thursday so I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces yet. I love the sound of it as it winds up though (I went with the helical gearset option).

Sponsored

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
If I buy this:

https://www.hptuners.com/mpvi2/

Would I be able to apply the tune without having to send the PCM back? It's only $300, which seems worth it if I ever need to reapply the tune.
I have the MPVI1 and considering the upgrade to the MPVI2.. What I can say from my experience is you can download a full tune and save/modify it and reload to the VIN the credits are purchased for. Keep that in mind it will cost another $100 for credits to pull the tune. Hopefully the Tune is not locked as well. I understand the new version is capable with the JL but I have not used it. Would be good to ask on the HP Tuner forum for the advice to confirm what you want to do before spending the $.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
You have to have your PCM unlocked.
Yes correct.. that is what the HP Tuner does and why you pay for the credits if the tune is not locked.

If someone that does tuning works with the HP Tuner they can send you a tune file and you can load it as well. You will be able to have full access with the HP Tuner but of course need to know how to "work" a tune unless you rely on someone else. There are some minor things most anyone can do to most vehicles with a little experience.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Yes, finally. Turns out it was a faulty MAF sensor that was giving incorrect readings. It must be super rare otherwise I'd expect that to be one of the first things to check, instead of wasting time on the tune. Once they swapped that out for a good one they were able to apply the original tune and it started right up.

I picked it up yesterday and it seems to run great, though we had a snowstorm come through on Thursday so I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces yet. I love the sound of it as it winds up though (I went with the helical gearset option).
Glad to hear the issue was solved. I also went with the helical gears.
Do you have a hose attached at the bottom for oil changes? I don’t and it is a major pain to change oil. Considering sucking it up next time. Appreciate your sharing your set up/ experience.

tristanc

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Glad to hear the issue was solved. I also went with the helical gears.
Do you have a hose attached at the bottom for oil changes? I don’t and it is a major pain to change oil. Considering sucking it up next time. Appreciate your sharing your set up/ experience.
I don't--I was just going to bring it into the shop for oil changes. I was surprised the first one was at 500 miles. I was expecting the normal 6,000. There's also a note to tighten the belt after 100 miles but not too tight. I have no idea what tight but not too tight is so I'm just going to have the guys do that too.

I did order the MPVI 2 and bypass cable and glad that I did. The Jeep popped a CEL a couple days ago. Took it to the shop and they cleared a bunch of different unrelated codes, one of which was a fuel to air ratio imbalance, but we're not sure what caused the actual CEL. The weather has been very cold (sub zero) and I heard that extreme cold can cause excess gas to not burn off. Anyway, all that to say when I get the MPVI I'll be able to monitor the diagnostics.

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I don't--I was just going to bring it into the shop for oil changes. I was surprised the first one was at 500 miles. I was expecting the normal 6,000. There's also a note to tighten the belt after 100 miles but not too tight. I have no idea what tight but not too tight is so I'm just going to have the guys do that too.

I did order the MPVI 2 and bypass cable and glad that I did. The Jeep popped a CEL a couple days ago. Took it to the shop and they cleared a bunch of different unrelated codes, one of which was a fuel to air ratio imbalance, but we're not sure what caused the actual CEL. The weather has been very cold (sub zero) and I heard that extreme cold can cause excess gas to not burn off. Anyway, all that to say when I get the MPVI I'll be able to monitor the diagnostics.
As far as I know there is a tensioner for the belt. Nothing to tighten there. I try to do all maintenance myself. Got to read about the MPVI. That’s something I don’t know anything about.
So far mine has not thrown any codes. Crossing my fingers lol.

OP
OP
ProChargerTECH

ProChargerTECH

First Name
ProCharger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Sucks, when such a simple part (that we don't make) can cause such a headache.

Now hopefully you put it through its paces with all of these awesome snow we (and you) been getting. :)

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
MAF or MAP, I'm not a jeep guy but I didn't think Jeeps even have a MAF?

Last edited:

McBeeve

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Rubicon
Occupation
Facilities Administrator
I think all gasoline engines nowadays have some sort MAF sensor.
FWIW, the Hellcat powered stuff actually went to speed density in '17 and forward.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.