Sponsored

ProCharger Supercharger system for JL Wrangler (Now Shipping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurboTJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Why would one choose a centrifugal supercharger over a positive displacement style?

I want forced induction because I want to be able to go up into the mountains on the freeway at 10,000ft without going 40MPH or redlining the engine. Same thought for towing.

Typically these superchargers are very nonlinear and only provide large power increases up top (close to redline) - is this the case?

What advantages do these have in a Jeep over a positive displacement supercharger?

Thanks for all the great info!
Sponsored

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
Why would one choose a centrifugal supercharger over a positive displacement style?

I want forced induction because I want to be able to go up into the mountains on the freeway at 10,000ft without going 40MPH or redlining the engine. Same thought for towing.

Typically these superchargers are very nonlinear and only provide large power increases up top (close to redline) - is this the case?

What advantages do these have in a Jeep over a positive displacement supercharger?

All valid questions. I like the one about high altitude needing higher revs to make useful boost.

While it's true that more boost will be made up top, you'd get boost somewhere in the middle as well. Perhaps it's the relative feeling of high boost up top vs. moderate boost in the middle that makes it feel it's only up top. With a positive displacement blower you feel it from idle... sometimes too much unless you have enough traction.

The altitude issue also affects positive displacement blowers. Theoretically, only a boost controlled turbo capable of making too much boost at sea level would be able to overcome altitude.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
What's the warranty on it???????

Fcmalie

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU

The best way to get around the "all power up top issue" is a smaller pulley and a boost controller like a turbo setup would use. It allows for higher rpm of the centrifical supercharger at lower engine speeds, but doesnt blow apart your engine with too much boost up top unless the controller faults out.

Sponsored

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
The best way to get around the "all power up top issue" is a smaller pulley and a boost controller like a turbo setup would use. It allows for higher rpm of the centrifical supercharger at lower engine speeds, but doesnt blow apart your engine with too much boost up top unless the controller faults out.
But then your engine is under unnecessary load because the boost is wasted. It's not a proper solution and nothing will be proper because of the nature of centrifugal compressors. Even a multi stage jet turbine has a narrow band where it's efficient.

Fcmalie

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
But then your engine is under unnecessary load because the boost is wasted. It's not a proper solution and nothing will be proper because of the nature of centrifugal compressors. Even a multi stage jet turbine has a narrow band where it's efficient.
How necessary the load is would have to be determined by the user, if you have quite a few high altitude journeys you wont be losing any power due to lack of pressure. For me it wouldn't be needed, but I can see people who are constantly in the mountain ranges putting a setup like that to good use.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
I can see people who are constantly in the mountain ranges putting a setup like that to good use.
When kicking down and overtaking maybe. Even then, the 8 speed in the JL also means the rpms will not stay crazy high for a centrifugal blower to be worthwhile.

A positive displacement blower is the way to go for a heavy vehicle with big tires like a Wrangler that needs a lot of grunt across the rpms. Or get a turbo if putting this on a drag strip or if anyone wants that fuel economy bs :)

Fcmalie

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
When kicking down and overtaking maybe. Even then, the 8 speed in the JL also means the rpms will not stay crazy high for a centrifugal blower to be worthwhile.

A positive displacement blower is the way to go for a heavy vehicle with big tires like a Wrangler that needs a lot of grunt across the rpms. Or get a turbo if putting this on a drag strip or if anyone wants that fuel economy bs :)
I honestly have no experience with positive displacement. Have only really had FI cars with turbos, and driven a friend's mustang with a centrifugal supercharger. Hoping to find someone close by that can take me for a ride in a boosted Wrangler of some sort. After driving my wife's jeep I'd like a little more power if j were to get one, but want to stick to gasoline cause driving a diesel in CA is a pain.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I honestly have no experience with positive displacement. Have only really had FI cars with turbos, and driven a friend's mustang with a centrifugal supercharger. Hoping to find someone close by that can take me for a ride in a boosted Wrangler of some sort. After driving my wife's jeep I'd like a little more power if j were to get one, but want to stick to gasoline cause driving a diesel in CA is a pain.
California is going to be a pain with most hp increases, regardless.

Sponsored

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
I do... look closely at my profile pic :) Did a small write up below as well
http://sophistijeep.blogspot.com

California is going to be a pain with most hp increases, regardless.
Unless the supercharger already has CARB certification.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I do... look closely at my profile pic :) Did a small write up below as well
http://sophistijeep.blogspot.com

Unless the supercharger already has CARB certification.
Of course but I haven’t seen any yet for the JL.
I see you are in Australia, I just got back from Perth a few hours ago. I enjoyed a ride in a Toyota Land Cruiser Turbo diesel. Love that car.
Back to the supercharger. I read the paper on your link, thanks, very informative, thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
ProChargerTECH

ProChargerTECH

First Name
ProCharger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
The best way to get around the "all power up top issue" is a smaller pulley and a boost controller
Thanks to these new transmissions, there really is no longer a "down low" issue with centrifugals. The trans will always put the thing up in the high RPM, and keeps it there due to the awesome gear ratios. (back when stuff only had 4 gears, it was more of an issue) And as far as crawling, again with low range, and the number of gears... literally a none issue.

I can't WAIT to do a video on this thing. IT literally makes you laugh its so dang fast lol.

OP
OP
ProChargerTECH

ProChargerTECH

First Name
ProCharger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Mmmmmmm, and to answer the loads of questions of "will it work with a winch" ..... YES. :)
And that intercooler looks awesome back there. :)

IMG_3116.jpg

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to these new transmissions, there really is no longer a "down low" issue with centrifugals. The trans will always put the thing up in the high RPM, and keeps it there due to the awesome gear ratios.
That basically confirms what the other person also said about centrifugals needing high rpms.

Also, manufacturers have gone with 8, 9 and 10 speed transmissions to keep the rpms low to keep things smooth and economical. Does the tune change the shift points or something so it revs much higher?

I'm all for power adders because I use one myself but what you claimed needs more elaboration.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.