First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon, 2016 Torch Red Corvette, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Whatever it takes.
When I purchased my Jeep back in December, I made a deal that if I purchased different rock rails the dealer would install them for free. So I ordered the Destroyers and after waiting patiently, I received them this week. Yesterday morning I dropped them and the Jeep off for installation. I pick it up at closing time and headed home and realized there was a problem. I have a squeaking sound coming from the drivers side rail. Any time I accelerate or brake, it's like something is flexing and I get a horrible squeaking noise that you can hear with the radio on and the windows up. I crawled under the jeep and they appear to be installed correctly and all bolts are tight. They look awesome , but I am upset as I had a perfectly solid and quiet jeep. Anyone else had this problem?
Sponsored

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I’d imagine with the dealer installing them you could bring it back. I would look to see if you can find any areas that are rubbing together. It could be as simple as loosening it up and evenly tightening the bolts back down.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
On mine i had to move the cover plates around on the bottom, a couple i just adjusted as the screw holes are elongated. The cover plates will flex and vibrate a bit, if the edges are touching the metal of the rails they will squeak. Also the kit comes with two "optional" self tapping bolts that go at the very back, make sure they installed these to avoid the rails from vibrating on the frame and causing a squeak. They are great rails, and i have drug my jeep across some gnarly rocks on them with barely a scratch, but you gotta do some adjusting to get them squeak free. You will also need to take the cover plates off every now and then and let small rocks out, otherwise they will rattle around in there.

OP
OP
Dano36

Dano36

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon, 2016 Torch Red Corvette, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Whatever it takes.
I think I fixed it. I noticed that the passenger rail had a nice uniform 1/4 inch between the rail and the body all the way down the rail. On the drivers side however the clearance narrowed towards the front until the rail actually rubbed the body for the last 3-4 inches. Thus it was rubbing whenever the body flexed. I loosened all the bolts up and took out optional bolt F at the front, tightened everything back down and now I have the same gap on the drivers side. They probably put that bolt in first and hit it with an impact wrench drawing the rail into the body. It looks like I need a few washers between the frame and the rail to keep it off the body. I also need to drill out the optional hole on the passenger side. Of course they did not install that one. Until it dries up around here I won't be in the woods, so for now they are ready to take on any mall parking lot. Thanks guys for the help.

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I think I fixed it. I noticed that the passenger rail had a nice uniform 1/4 inch between the rail and the body all the way down the rail. On the drivers side however the clearance narrowed towards the front until the rail actually rubbed the body for the last 3-4 inches. Thus it was rubbing whenever the body flexed. I loosened all the bolts up and took out optional bolt F at the front, tightened everything back down and now I have the same gap on the drivers side. They probably put that bolt in first and hit it with an impact wrench drawing the rail into the body. It looks like I need a few washers between the frame and the rail to keep it off the body. I also need to drill out the optional hole on the passenger side. Of course they did not install that one. Until it dries up around here I won't be in the woods, so for now they are ready to take on any mall parking lot. Thanks guys for the help.
Glad it was an easy fix for you. I still need to drill my signature series sliders as well but it’s also wet and snowy here.

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Yes add some washers! We provide additional washer and show them in the instructions so that you can adjust that front gap to be perfect. We have noticed there are differences in this gap from one Jeep to the next, like the body can be shifted up to a 1/4" from one side to the other.
Feel free to give us a call if you have other questions or concerns.
Sponsored