Sponsored

Problem with balancing 35’s on AEV Borahs (is this too many weights?)

2020JLURUBICON

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Rubicon
Got the borahs installed on the 35 RG’s- absolutely love the look, size and offset. Could not be happier. Next is st1 leveling kit and other suspension goodies. Here is what it will look like with the 2” lift up front (jacked up frame at discount tire!). The picture makes the gap look bigger than it does in reality, but it should only be about 1” more than stock, looks absolutely sweet got lots of comments and guys standing around looking at the shop- usually a decent sign!
91215c81-7fb1-4625-99d5-f49846a71f34-jpeg.jpg
oK- running into a bit of an issue- tires definitely are not balanced great. I can feel the bounce and unbalance. Upon inspection I have one wheel with 36 weights, another with 18. If I am dioing my math right that is 2.5 ounces on one, 5 ounces on the other- that seems like a ton. What should I expect? Do I have two tires that should be completely replaced??? Any help is much appreciated.
Sponsored

OP
OP
2020JLURUBICON

2020JLURUBICON

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Rubicon
oK- running into a bit of an issue- tires definitely are not balanced great. I can feel the bounce and unbalance. Upon inspection I have one wheel with 36 weights, another with 18. If I am dioing my math right that is 2.5 ounces on one, 5 ounces on the other- that seems like a ton. What should I expect? Do I have two tires that should be completely replaced??? Any help is much appreciated.
Shoot, sorry, that would be 4.5 ounces and 9 ounces at 1/4 ounce per weight...

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
OP
OP
2020JLURUBICON

2020JLURUBICON

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Rubicon

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
That’s seems like a bunch of weight. So, have your tire guys spin just the wheels on the balancer and see if those balance out. Then add the tires back if the wheels are good. Either you’ve got a bad batch of tires or bad batch of wheels. I’ve had bad wheels before and needed replacement.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2020JLURUBICON

2020JLURUBICON

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Rubicon
That’s seems like a bunch of weight. So, have your tire guys spin just the wheels on the balancer and see if those balance out. Then add the tires back if the wheels are good. Either you’ve got a bad batch of tires or bad batch of wheels. I’ve had bad wheels before and needed replacement.
Great idea, thank you for the help!

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Make sure the installer used road force balancing equipment. I had challenges with my JK until road force balancing was used. This is extremely important. I know that Discount Tires has road force balancer available.

OP
OP
2020JLURUBICON

2020JLURUBICON

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Rubicon
Make sure the installer used road force balancing equipment. I had challenges with my JK until road force balancing was used. This is extremely important. I know that Discount Tires has road force balancer available.
I asked them to do that but I am not sure they did. How can I tell they are using that machine/technique?

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
I have the same wheels with Falken at3's in 35. Max weight I have is 5 oz. on one. Rides like a Cadillac. I don't know why they used a bunch of 1/4oz and not 1/2oz for one thing. It could be as simple as the guy balancing them. 36 1/4 oz weights should have been his first clue to look into it. If you feel it in the steering wheel (usually on the front) if in your butt (usually in the rear).

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I asked them to do that but I am not sure they did. How can I tell they are using that machine/technique?
Ask them what type of road force balancer they are using. Hunter is a very common brand. You can also google “road force balancing” and see if your shop is listed as providing the service. Even if the are you can’t be sure the technique was used. In my opinion either your balancing is flawed or you have issues with either and/or your wheels. You could also take your Jeep to another tire shop and have them rebalanced...with road forced equipment.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2020JLURUBICON

2020JLURUBICON

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Rubicon
I have the same wheels with Falken at3's in 35. Max weight I have is 5 oz. on one. Rides like a Cadillac. I don't know why they used a bunch of 1/4oz and not 1/2oz for one thing. It could be as simple as the guy balancing them. 36 1/4 oz weights should have been his first clue to look into it. If you feel it in the steering wheel (usually on the front) if in your butt (usually in the rear).
I think you are right. I even asked the guy why one of them took so much weight and why they didn't use bigger ones to reduce number, he just said "well, sometimes with these big wheels and tires you know..." i should have talked with the sales guy then about a do-over but didn't have the time. will go back and use these ideas knowing they shouldn't need more than 4-5 ounces tops. Thank you everyone for the help!

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
I think you are right. I even asked the guy why one of them took so much weight and why they didn't use bigger ones to reduce number, he just said "well, sometimes with these big wheels and tires you know..." i should have talked with the sales guy then about a do-over but didn't have the time. will go back and use these ideas knowing they shouldn't need more than 4-5 ounces tops. Thank you everyone for the help!
I don't know how the RG's balance out. Maybe others can chime in. I'd ask for a re-balance with a different tech for starters. Id actually go back there and watch the #'s. The "Yellow" dot is with the valve stem correct? The "Red" dot is the high point of the tire. Someone who takes their time (that's hard to find now) would have moved the tire on the rim and tried again. If it still looked funky, they would have done what someone else mentioned and spun the wheel alone to see the balance.

Those wheels are also hubcentric, so don't let them had you crap about lug centering ect.
Sponsored