First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Should pick up some synergy tie rod and draglink from me in case the OE is broken! ;)
Lol. Nice try. I’m a SteerSmarts guy. But thanks, I’ll keep it in mind.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Shortening OAL will pull the wheel right.

Lengthening OAL will push the wheel left.

If you truly can't turn it anymore I agree: disassemble completely and "split the difference" with the sleeve. It'll become clear once you have it apart.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Shortening OAL will pull the wheel right.

Lengthening OAL will push the wheel left.

If you truly can't turn it anymore I agree: disassemble completely and "split the difference" with the sleeve. It'll become clear once you have it apart.

...what he said

Jeep Wrangler JL Problem re-centering steering wheel after lift What-He-Said

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
CT - why did you not install the MC tie-rod, drag link, and trackbar? Had you already upgraded them?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
CT - why did you not install the MC tie-rod, drag link, and trackbar? Had you already upgraded them?
I already had SteerSmarts track bar and tie rod before this lift. Replaced the SteerSmarts track bar with MC one due to interference with MC diff cover. Stock drag link.

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I already had SteerSmarts track bar and tie rod before this lift. Replaced the SteerSmarts track bar with MC one due to interference with MC diff cover. Stock drag link.
Do you have any tie rod end adjustment available at the steering knuckle end?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Do you have any tie rod end adjustment available at the steering knuckle end?
Factory drag link doesn't have adjustment on that side, it's fixed.

Actually CT -- you can drop the drag link at the passenger knuckle instead and then turn the whole thing to get it fully threaded in at the adjuster. That side is a lot easier to get off typically.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Could you have tweaked the drag link while wheeling causing the problem? I know that when my bud came off the Rubicon Trail with me, He had tweaked the drag ling as the steering was 15 degrees off center and we had to stop and recenter the steering wheel as it had put the Jeep in limp mode and would only do about 35 mph. He went had an alignment done the following morning to fix it.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like the guys got it covered how to fix your steering wheel, I’d only suggest that you go ahead and get the yeti drag link sooner than later, as it’s now the weak link n your steering & suspension.

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX

Looks like you already have good intel from other members on how to center your wheel...

My question is where was the interference with the Steer Smarts trackbar and the MC diff cover? I have a JLR with full Steer Smarts setup (trackbar, drag link and Rubi-length tie rod) and recently installed the MC front diff cover & skid and clears fine. I am running the Mopar lift with adjustable upper and lower Teraflex IR arms, was the clearance issue with stock control arms before you installed the MC arms?

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Looks like you already have good intel from other members on how to center your wheel...

My question is where was the interference with the Steer Smarts trackbar and the MC diff cover? I have a JLR with full Steer Smarts setup (trackbar, drag link and Rubi-length tie rod) and recently installed the MC front diff cover & skid and clears fine. I am running the Mopar lift with adjustable upper and lower Teraflex IR arms, was the clearance issue with stock control arms before you installed the MC arms?
I didn’t have adjustable control arms when I installed these parts, I do now. But in retrospect it seems obvious that I could have adjusted the SteerSmarts track bar to not make contact with the diff cover. The SteerSmarts is a 3 piece unit with 2 adjustment points, if I’d have removed it and adjusted it so the bend was moved about an inch to the passenger side everything would have been just fine.

Jeep Wrangler JL Problem re-centering steering wheel after lift F4FB4570-28D0-4BDD-9932-7AA7FA046875

Jeep Wrangler JL Problem re-centering steering wheel after lift 499D4E4B-75DA-4FA8-909F-A41B54D338E0

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for all the help. I’ve got it now. It may just a few degrees off, but very close and I’ll be able to fine tune it to get it dead center if I want to. Any trick to get it 100% perfectly centered without the help of a second person? Other than trial and error.

The adjusting collar seemed to be stuck for some reason. Mud or dirt maybe? It was so stuck that turning it any more seemed like I might damage it. I cleaned up the threads and lubricated it and it’s silky smooth now. Thanks again everyone for the help.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link