First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I just completed installation of the 2.5” MetalCloak GameChanger lift. Of course the steering wheel is no longer centered, that’s to be expected. However, when turning the turnbuckle on the drag link I have adjusted it as far as it allows and the steering wheel is still off center about 45 degrees to the left. Advice?

Jeep Wrangler JL Problem re-centering steering wheel after lift image

image.jpg
Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
When I did my lift (same as yours) my steering wheel was turned to the right and I had to adjust it left (counter clockwise). Makes me think something is seriously off.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
When I did my lift (same as yours) my steering wheel was turned to the right and I had to adjust it left (counter clockwise). Makes me think something is seriously off.
Mine was also off to the passenger side. I put the wheels straight, then had the wife sit in the Jeep and tell me when the steering wheel was straight. Had to do it a couple times.

I think you may have overshot it? You did loosen the clamp before adjusting it right? Because there are still threads left on both sides so you do have adjustment left.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Mine was also off to the passenger side. I put the wheels straight, then had the wife sit in the Jeep and tell me when the steering wheel was straight. Had to do it a couple times.

I think you may have overshot it? You did loosen the clamp before adjusting it right? Because there are still threads left on both sides so you do have adjustment left.
Yes, i loosened the clamp. I don’t think you can turn the adjusting turnbuckle without loosening it, can you? The 2 threads left on the rod end are not in play, the adjuster is turned as far as it will go onto the rod end. Those 2 threads wouldn’t allow it to be centered.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Have you ever had the drag link end at the pitman off?

It appears someone might have threaded the rod link into the double adjuster and now you don't have full range of adjustment.

I'd drop it at the pitman, rotate both the rod end and the double adjuster so both are fully bottomed, and then adjust out to where you need it to be.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
In my upside down and backwards way of thinking about this, it seems as if the drag link, as shown, is adjusted to be longer than it should be, and that is why the wheel is oriented to the "left" when the wheels appear to be near center. If the adjuster is screwed inwards to decrease the length of the drag link then the wheel will orient towards center to match the wheel position.

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
I'm almost certain you overshot the adjustment. I just did mine this weekend and the steering wheel was over the right.

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
make sure the tires are pointing straight a few times driving back and forward should get them close, but you may need to just remove the drag link and adjust from there

also what happens if you run it the other way? when ever i do this on my it is always a crap shoot which way does it all want to turn

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
My stock setup goes in farther than yours is. Possible the threads are bunged up?

Jeep Wrangler JL Problem re-centering steering wheel after lift 20201228_113528
Your collar does seem to screw further up the rod end than mine. I’ll check it. It stopped turning freely and easily and I didn’t want to force it, as there’s only about 2 threads showing I presumed that it was as far as it is supposed to go.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Have you ever had the drag link end at the pitman off?

It appears someone might have threaded the rod link into the double adjuster and now you don't have full range of adjustment.

I'd drop it at the pitman, rotate both the rod end and the double adjuster so both are fully bottomed, and then adjust out to where you need it to be.
I’ve never removed it and don’t know if any reason that it would have been done by anyone else, the only thing steering related that I haven’t done myself is installation of a SteerSmarts tie rod.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
make sure the tires are pointing straight a few times driving back and forward should get them close, but you may need to just remove the drag link and adjust from there

also what happens if you run it the other way? when ever i do this on my it is always a crap shoot which way does it all want to turn
Running it to other way adjusts the steering wheel in the opposite direction.

MrFenderpicks

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Should pick up some synergy tie rod and draglink from me in case the OE is broken! ;)
Sponsored