Ciaranmc09

First Name
Ciaran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Hi all,

I’m having an issue installing the Mopar hitch to my jeep. In all of the install videos and threads I’ve read, no one seems to have encountered the problem I’m having with the two black bolts that seem to be welded into the frame of the car - see photo. I’ve tried using liquid wrench to loosen them but it’s had no effect. Any suggestions?
Jeep Wrangler JL Problem installing Mopar hitch to JL Wrangler 2018 A9DCE10C-E534-4E7F-A611-5626AE462DC1
Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Lol, yep. Those are welded on. Rear hitches come is several very similar variations. From my personal experience, this usually means your hitch is from a different stock bumper config.

OP
OP

Ciaranmc09

First Name
Ciaran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Lol, yep. Those are welded on. Rear hitches come is several very similar variations. From my personal experience, this usually means your hitch is from a different stock bumper config.
Damn - thanks though. So back to the store and buy a new one then?

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

I’m having an issue installing the Mopar hitch to my jeep. In all of the install videos and threads I’ve read, no one seems to have encountered the problem I’m having with the two black bolts that seem to be welded into the frame of the car - see photo. I’ve tried using liquid wrench to loosen them but it’s had no effect. Any suggestions?
Jeep Wrangler JL Problem installing Mopar hitch to JL Wrangler 2018 A9DCE10C-E534-4E7F-A611-5626AE462DC1
That is an inner structure support of your plastic bumper, your hitch needs to be sandwiched in between this piece and the frame rail. Unfortunately you need to take off your bumper cover to do this, adds a little bit of time.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, they all look the same but you have to be very careful with them hitch receivers.

On JK, for instance, the trailer hitch for the plastic bumper and the steel bumper were different. The hitch receiver for the steel bumper had a flatter backside.

I even found out that the $7 Mopar hitch plug from JK doesn’t fit JL. You’d think a plug is a plug. But instead of the top hinged plug, JL uses a side-hinged plug to clear the bumper —see below.

Best thing is to talk to your dealer’s parts counter and get the correct part number. That way, if it doesn’t fit, it is on them.

JK hitch plug
Jeep Wrangler JL Problem installing Mopar hitch to JL Wrangler 2018 1599006705007

JL hitch plug
Jeep Wrangler JL Problem installing Mopar hitch to JL Wrangler 2018 1599006789667

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ciaranmc09

First Name
Ciaran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
That is an inner structure support of your plastic bumper, your hitch needs to be sandwiched in between this piece and the frame rail. Unfortunately you need to take off your bumper cover to do this, adds a little bit of time.
Ok, thanks. So it is the correct part, I just need to figure out how to remove the bumper cover?

OP
OP

Ciaranmc09

First Name
Ciaran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Update for anyone else who runs into this problem with the JL Sahara Unlimited plastic bumper. I was able to install without removing the rear bumper. I removed the two small screws under the plastic bumper, that allowed me to lift the steel chassis up high enough to attach the hitch. I had to force the bolts through with a little bit of force but it worked.

The hitch sandwiches between the two metal parts.

see images below

Jeep Wrangler JL Problem installing Mopar hitch to JL Wrangler 2018 6B9B55E1-4347-41A9-AD16-A5BA9EFB5758

Jeep Wrangler JL Problem installing Mopar hitch to JL Wrangler 2018 3A43D970-9E62-45BD-A3EA-346A668E6239

rhaelrubicon

First Name
Rhael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJ Rubicon 2021 JL Rubicon 2008 Jk Rubicon
Update for anyone else who runs into this problem with the JL Sahara Unlimited plastic bumper. I was able to install without removing the rear bumper. I removed the two small screws under the plastic bumper, that allowed me to lift the steel chassis up high enough to attach the hitch. I had to force the bolts through with a little bit of force but it worked.

see images below

Jeep Wrangler JL Problem installing Mopar hitch to JL Wrangler 2018 3A43D970-9E62-45BD-A3EA-346A668E6239

see images below

rhaelrubicon

First Name
Rhael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJ Rubicon 2021 JL Rubicon 2008 Jk Rubicon
Thank you for posting this , helped me with my Jl hitch install yesterday.

milpride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2020
I know it is just a few years' old post. Thanks again for sharing your approach. i tried hard sandwiching the hitch and does not go in and holes are not aligned (especially the bolts on the inner plate). If anyone has any idea how to remove the plate without removing the bumper that would be great.

Sponsored

ducttape

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xE
Occupation
Configuration Engineer
Clubs

I got the Mopar hitch with nuts welded on (part 68251844AB). There's no way to sandwich that hitch and its welded nuts between the pictured bumper plate and the support beam, so I ended up removing the bumper and then removing that existing plate. I seem to recall I could have removed the plate without removing the bumper, but I'll have to check on that when I get home. I've got a 2022 JLU, but I think the setup is the same for the 2018-2023 models. Not sure about the 2024 model.

ducttape

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xE
Occupation
Configuration Engineer
Clubs

I checked the plate I removed, and it looks like I could've left it in place. There are holes in the plate to allow space for the hitch's welded nuts. There are only 2 bolts holding the plate in place (as pointed out by @Ciaranmc09). By removing those you may be able to reposition the plate without removing the plastic bumper, but it's possible the plastic bumper has protrusions obstructing the plate and holding it in place.

So, basically, I'm not much help and didn't really add anything to the discussion... :facepalm:
Sponsored