Sponsored

Proactively replace aux battery?

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
My JL is an Aug 18 build that sat on a lot for a while before I got it in June of 19. What kind of life are people seeing out of their aux batteries? I thought I read two years on a different thread. I’m wondering if a proactive swap is something I should consider soon.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Rufus

Your JL has a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty, which started for you in June 2019, when you picked up your JL / on purchase day....

As long as your JL is not giving you any EVIC notices and such, I would do nothing, "proactively", in regard to the two batteries in you JL.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
My JL was built in May 2018, has almost 18,000 miles, and last weekend the auxiliary battery shit the bed at an intersection. When I let off the brake all the dash lights started flickering. It eventually started again after about a minute but ESS no longer works and I have a message to get ESS serviced.

So yeah, expect about two years from the auxiliary battery.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
My JL was built in May 2018, has almost 18,000 miles, and last weekend the auxiliary battery shit the bed at an intersection. When I let off the brake all the dash lights started flickering. It eventually started again after about a minute but ESS no longer works and I have a message to get ESS serviced.

So yeah, expect about two years from the auxiliary battery.
My JL, was built on 5/5/18 at 3:22am... I got it on 5/15/18... it has 37,000 miles and both batteries are aok.

Ya never know.... also, OP, is in NY and batteries are stressed little there in regard to heat, etc.. Now, if he was in Florida, Texas, etc., then...

The OP has a 3 year warranty with 2 years left on it.. He has no concerns for 2 more years, as even if a battery(S) chitt's the bed, his warranty will cover it and free flat bed towing, too if he needs it. 8-)

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
@Rhinebeck01 is right. Why throw money at an under warranty component?

I have a Tazer and don’t use ESS. Smart Stop Start is another fantastic offering to disable it (I actually own both, but am currently using the Tazer).

Anyway, get on of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00068XCQU/

@Rhinebeck01 also clued me in to this add-on for that tender: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ5KE9A/ which I mounted with Velcro.

Now get these to make checking your voltage even easier, and plug your JL in to the tender as needed: https://www.redlinetuning.com/product-p/21-20003-02.htm

Much better investment than a new battery, in my opinion.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you all. The warranty is a good point, I’m just more worried about getting stuck somewhere. But I remember reading about a bypass for the Aux so I can use that trick if stuck. If I make it to warranty then I’ll replace it. I disable ESS every time anyway, and even if I don’t it doesn’t activate at stops with the clutch in.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Thank you all. The warranty is a good point, I’m just more worried about getting stuck somewhere. But I remember reading about a bypass for the Aux so I can use that trick if stuck. If I make it to warranty then I’ll replace it. I disable ESS every time anyway, and even if I don’t it doesn’t activate at stops with the clutch in.
I carry a full size spare 12v battery with me when I go offoading just in case (it was given to me). It is never a bad idea to take a jump pack with you when going to BFE, just make sure the jump pack is in good health.

The bad thing about a slowly dying aux battery is it can drain your main battery too and put strain on your entire charging system. Funny thing is the part number for my aux battery has been discontinued by Mopar, I wonder why lol. I'm going to get my aux battery replaced under warranty in the near future, after that I'm probably going to ditch it if there are no awesome/reliable alternatives. Interstate Batteries only have one model aux battery with 1 year warranty. Optima Batteries do not list a replacement yet either.

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I carry a full size spare 12v battery with me when I go offoading just in case (it was given to me). It is never a bad idea to take a jump pack with you when going to BFE, just make sure the jump pack is in good health.

The bad thing about a slowly dying aux battery is it can drain your main battery too and put strain on your entire charging system. Funny thing is the part number for my aux battery has been discontinued by Mopar, I wonder why lol. I'm going to get my aux battery replaced under warranty in the near future, after that I'm probably going to ditch it if there are no awesome/reliable alternatives. Interstate Batteries only have one model aux battery with 1 year warranty. Optima Batteries do not list a replacement yet either.
I think I’m going to make the bypass jumper and keep it handy. And yeah, a jump pack.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Stupid question. Those of us that have disabled start stop ESSBS is there a way to get rid of the second battery? Has to be a work around.
Sponsored