swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh, they screwed up me buying a diesel in 2017 with this stuff. Can't believe one ever came out.

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
I was thinking the same thing when I read this earlier today. The consumer is ultimately paying for this.

Yankee1019

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500 Crew Cab, 2023 JLU Reign Willys
I was thinking the same thing when I read this earlier today. The consumer is ultimately paying for this.
Pretty sure we already have been paying for this. This new fine is still related to the same case where they had to pay +/- $800 million in Civil fines. If I were their bean counters I would have been stashing money to the side for when the “criminal” case completed. Car and Driver had an update to their article about the civil case, regarding the new $300 mil fine back in May.

Sponsored

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
Pretty sure we already have been paying for this. This new fine is still related to the same case where they had to pay +/- $800 million in Civil fines. If I were their bean counters I would have been stashing money to the side for when the “criminal” case completed. Car and Driver had an update to their article about the civil case, regarding the new $300 mil fine back in May.
You’re probably right!

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Really like this statement in the article....

"Stopping violations of environmental laws and the defrauding of consumers is paramount to the protection of clean air and human health,” the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said"

Ok, time for me step onto my soap box...

What no one is talking about, let alone do the research, is with these battery cars that are much heavier than similar ICE cars, the tires on these "green cars" wear out much faster due to the weight. The particulates that come off tires is much worse for people and the environment than the "dirty" air that comes out of tailpipes of todays ICE (gas or diesel). Again, this will never be in the news as the powers to be really don't want us to know this kind of stuff. Rather, they want us to believe they are doing a good job by protecting us from these evil ICE.

OK... I am done. No longer need to be on my soap box. :D

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited

"Stopping violations of environmental laws and the defrauding of consumers is paramount to the protection of clean air and human health,” the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said"

What no one is talking about, let alone do the research, is with these battery cars that are much heavier than similar ICE cars, the tires on these "green cars" wear out much faster due to the weight. The particulates that come off tires is much worse for people and the environment than the "dirty" air that comes out of tailpipes of todays ICE (gas or diesel). Again, this will never be in the news as the powers to be really don't want us to know this kind of stuff. Rather, they want us to believe they are doing a good job by protecting us from these evil ICE.

Thank you for making a case for the government to ban tires that pollute more.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited

Don't forget the millions of gallons of additional diesel burnt to mine, transport, and distribute both the raw materials for the batteries and the batteries themselves. Not to mention battery disposal/recycling after they're dead. There's also the additional oil needed to make all of those plastic battery housings.

Sponsored

Yankee1019

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500 Crew Cab, 2023 JLU Reign Willys
Don't forget the millions of gallons of additional diesel burnt to mine, transport, and distribute both the raw materials for the batteries and the batteries themselves. Not to mention battery disposal/recycling after they're dead. There's also the additional oil needed to make all of those plastic battery housings.
Don’t forget that a lot of those countries where those raw materials are mined have very lax, if any environmental regulations.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

Have you ever seen pictures of Los Angeles air quality pre 90s? or new york city?.

Cleaner combustion does make a difference in air quality. Pretty big difference.

I am not arguing with you about the electrical vehicle tires though. Because I have no idea how it actually affects the public. And I am also not arguing against ICE. Just saying, cleaner combustion is a real thing.

kakwvu

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Have you ever seen pictures of Los Angeles air quality pre 90s? or new york city?.

Cleaner combustion does make a difference in air quality. Pretty big difference.

I am not arguing with you about the electrical vehicle tires though. Because I have no idea how it actually affects the public. And I am also not arguing against ICE. Just saying, cleaner combustion is a real thing.
Spoiler: it doesn’t. If Teslas, a wildly popular BEV, were chewing up tires at the suggested unsubstantiated rate, there’d be enough anecdotal evidence out there for break even analysis reports on emissions to include that aspect as well.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.