ROCK HARD 4X4

ROCK HARD 4X4

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
@ROCK HARD 4X4
Thoughts on the relocation bracket... Does it handle a 35" tire without damage to the tailgate? Does it need more reinforcement than just the bracket? Going aluminum so I cannot get the tire swing but concerned on the tailgate flexing with the added weight (including your heavy bracket).
You're actually asking about a different part than the bumper/tire carrier combination. Our relocation bracket RH-90347) is actually strong enough to support a tire larger than a 35", but your tailgate/tub is not. The JL's body is the weak link. We suggest nothing larger than a 35" tire on the JL tub, ever. Our billet aluminum braces (RH-90345) greatly strengthen the tailgate door. The combination of billet aluminum braces and tire relocation bracket is the RH-90350. Again though, nothing larger than a 35" tire.
Sponsored

Japeto

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Anyone have the rear bumper with tire carrier yet? How well are the backup sensors working with larger than stock tires?
Bump for a real world review from a member here. Any issues with sensors on larger tires? How did the install go and how is it holding up?

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
I have a RH Steel Rear Bumper with the swinging tire carrier. Intalled it myself and it really requires two to do this.....but I was able to get it done by myself. After doing the RH Patriot front and rear bumpers and side sliders, I installed Method Wheels and 12 x 35 tires. Left the suspension stock.....and am quite happy with the results. Everything here is hell bent for strong.....and I have good departure clearance on the rear bumper and tire. I cannot imagine a more beefy offering in this configuration by anyone else.....and I would buy this again in a heartbeat. Pretty good value too.....when you consider what bang you are getting for your buck.

I actually came here tho wanting to share a small "fix" I made to the rear tire swing design. Evidently my 73 year old fingers are getting weak.....as I've had trouble lifting the aluminum "lift". (with a finger groove in it) in order to facilitate closing the gate. The device works slick to hold the tire carrier in an open condition until you want to close it.....but it takes a man-sized grip to lift that aluminum "knob" and swing the carrier closed. I doubt my wife could do this without a pliers.

So......shortly after installing my bumper last fall I decided to add a 90 degree lift apparatus I made from a few parts at the hardware store. It required drilling a cross-hole in the RH aluminum actuator knob. No big deal.....but it would be nice if the hole were pre-drilled. Anyway.....VIOLA!......this is a simple solution to those of us that dont have a claw type grip. A pic is shown below. (Originally I thought I would ad a split ring (like a key ring) to the drilled hole.....but the hole seems to wide to fit that solution....thus my bolt and "extension" nut. Works good.).

latch.jpg

OH....and to answer your question on the back-up sensors........that is the one reason I stated you should have two people to install the bumper. When I was lifting this off the chair support.....the weight was a bit too much for me.....and I damaged the wiring harness that operates those sensors. (pulled the wires out of one of the sensors due to the "unwieldily" weight of that bumper.....which was a hard fix). Anyway......the sensors installed nicely and work super. I do get some extra "false" signals of an obstacle......which are not the "cross traffic" sensors (which work beatiful) rather....I think the sensors think an obstacle is nearby. There are two different tones in the beepers. I always did want to contact RH for any solutions......but it has not been that big of an issue to me. As said the cross traffic signals (which are my favorite detection need) works great.

Last edited:

Chubrocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2017 JKU Sport, 2013 F150, 2004 4Runner
I installed my rear bumper and tire carrier, what a huge improvement over stock. One question for anyone, I am riding on the plastic block great with one lower spacer. But, the large round bump stop still has a mm or so without touching the plate on the tailgate, even when using the extra spacer. One note, I ended up attaching the lower stop last and when closing without it the top bump stop was perfect. any tips @ROCK HARD 4X4 ?

I'll get pics up when I can, have the RH front & rear bumpers, rock rails, and shock skids. Fantastic parts.

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
I installed my rear bumper and tire carrier, what a huge improvement over stock. One question for anyone, I am riding on the plastic block great with one lower spacer. But, the large round bump stop still has a mm or so without touching the plate on the tailgate, even when using the extra spacer. One note, I ended up attaching the lower stop last and when closing without it the top bump stop was perfect. any tips @ROCK HARD 4X4 ?

I'll get pics up when I can, have the RH front & rear bumpers, rock rails, and shock skids. Fantastic parts.

I used a few extra "fender washers" to shim my round tailgate bumper so it would bump agains that (RH furnished) steel plate on the tailgate. Without a few extra washers I would not have contact with the plate. This seems to "solidify" the tire carrier. My mothod wheels and 12 ply tires weigh pretty good......so I am glad I have this tire carrier. I cannot imagine this riding on that tailgate over rough terrain. Yikes. I can hardly lift my spare onto the carrier.....lotta weight to carry.

Sponsored

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Looks like rust has developed around the welds. I have patriot sliders on my JK from RH4x4 and in less than a year the welds were all rusted along with spotting throughout the rails. Sorry to see they still havent addressed their coating issues.
Nope....no rust. There may be some dirt in those crevices....but I have not seen any rust on my RH Parts.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I have the aluminum (so no rust) but their finish is very durable. I have beat on it without scratches. Pleased with the quality of the coating.

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi,
Will the JL Patriot Series Rear Bumper With Tire Carrier work good with a 37" tire and a 4.5" backspace wheel?

Thank you.
I have this bumper and swinging tire carrier. It's fully adjustable. I have similar backspace on my Method wheels and see no issues for you. I have 35" tires but would not have any issues with larger tires. You may want to verify when you order.....but I would say you are golden with anything you can throw at this set up. I absolutely love mine.....and would buy this same unit again in a heartbeat. Covers all my needs....and more.

I did get rid of my 3rd brake light above my spare and put one of those 3rd lights that shine thru the spokes on my wheels. I now have pretty decent vision on the vehicles behind me. Funny how 2" of brake light got in the way of my vision. $30 amazon cure.

Use care when lifting that bumper on to your rig when you install.......quite heavy.....and I tore one of my sensor wires as the weight was just a bit much for me to handle carefully. I think the wire harness cost me an extra $80 or so. Should not have happened if I had someone help me. ;). You been told.

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I was hoping that I could verify with a @ROCK HARD 4X4 / Rock Hard rep here at the Rock Hard section of the forum.

A Google search did not promote an answer specific to the Wrangler JL bumper. Maybe a useful result is buried somewhere.

Wrangler JL Patriot Series Rear Bumper With Tire Carrier 37" tire

It will be helpful to know the particulars prior to thinking about ordering when I verify.

Thank you.

edit to add: Looking at it further, It seems as if the tire tilt design places the tire where it clears the bumper completely, so I am beginning to think that tire fit and bumper obstruction may not be a concern with this design.

Bingo.

ryno1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Bump for this thread - anyone else have pictures of this rear bumper on their Jeeps to show?
Sponsored