Pretreating before off-roading for easier cleanup

Tom73

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500, 1967 Chevy 2
Curious if anyone has any tips on what I could do in advance of off-roading to make it easier to remove mud from the undercarriage. I'm a little particular (OCD) when it comes to keeping the undercarriage clean.
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've never pre-treated the underside with anything as I try to stay out of the mud. But when I can't, I found it easiest to clean the underside by using an oscillating sprinkler underneath the Jeep. I'll put it underneath for awhile and move it around. This usually is effective in getting all of the mud out of the nooks and crannies, without me having to be under there.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

amazon has a mutli tip wheeled pressure nozzle. about 30-50 bucks. works really well for getting mud off

OP
OP

Tom73

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500, 1967 Chevy 2
Great advice @Maverick909 and @limeade I'd likely do what you stated then spray with simple green and repeat to remove any staining.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
You are right to be concerned. I spend a lot of time in the mud (hate the stuff, but when you wheel in the Midwest...) and it does stain porous surfaces. Ever had green tires? I have. FYI, I don't do any cosmetic prep before going offroad, but I do spend quite a bit of time cleaning afterwards. Pay special attention to getting the mud out of the frame. It attracts moisture and is a major cause of rust. I do undercoat my offroad rigs and have gone so far as to coat the inside of the frame with cavity wax (I like SEM but 3M is also good).

Don't laugh, but an old mud bogger trick is to spray your wheels with (drum roll) baby oil. OK, go ahead and laugh!

I recently treated the flares on my JK with ArmorAll Outlast. This is not a trail toy so the flares were just faded with a few "desert pin stripes." I was impressed. I recommend a few coats on all the black rubber and plastic surfaces (even the fender liners if you are that OCD). There is probably a similar product for tires, don't forget the other side of the tire. Wax the paint. You are on your own with the undercarriage. Maybe baby oil through an oscillating sprinkler ;).

Sponsored

Jeepr

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 2dr Rubicon
Curious if anyone has any tips on what I could do in advance of off-roading to make it easier to remove mud from the undercarriage. I'm a little particular (OCD) when it comes to keeping the undercarriage clean.

I use tire shine to pretreat any areas under my jeep for this purpose. Mud does not stick to it near as well as porous plastic or uncoated paint. I typically by the local auto parts store brand and apply liberally.

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I've never pre-treated the underside with anything as I try to stay out of the mud. But when I can't, I found it easiest to clean the underside by using an oscillating sprinkler underneath the Jeep. I'll put it underneath for awhile and move it around. This usually is effective in getting all of the mud out of the nooks and crannies, without me having to be under there.
That's a brilliant idea!
Sponsored