Pretension synthetic rope in neutral but wheels were locked/braked

cab1024

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I just pretensioned my first winch's synthetic rope in a parking lot in neutral and when I was done I realized the tires had not been moving (the rear ones anyway). So what was going on? Why are the wheels locked in neutral and can I override it. Was it hiil-brake lock?
Jeep Wrangler JL Pretension synthetic rope in neutral but wheels were locked/braked IMG_9082.JPG
Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
damn.. I can only think of the E-Brake being applied

OP
OP

cab1024

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
damn.. I can only think of the E-Brake being applied
Wasn't the e-brake -- unless you mean electronic brake hahaha. I though about applying it a little bit to add tension since the parking lot was pretty flat, but changed my mind and released it. They ended up fully locked anyway. Pretty sure it was just the rear wheels locked since I was in front watching the line spooling and would have noticed the tire not moving.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Wasn't the e-brake -- unless you mean electronic brake hahaha. I though about applying it a little bit to ad tension wince the parking lot was pretty flat, but changed my mind and release it. The ended up fully locked anyway. PREtty sure it was just the rear wheels since I was in front watching the line spooling, but would have noticed the tire not moving.
the mystery deepens... LOL

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
Transmission in neutral + you not in the driver seat?

Therefore Auto-park...?

Sponsored

OP
OP

cab1024

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Transmission in neutral + you not in the driver seat?

Therefore Auto-park...?
That would be it! So I would have had to pull the orange cord to release it? I assume if you put it in gear after that everything would go back to normal?

So, pretensioning the rope is not a one-person task then.

Reactions: J0E

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
Everything goes back to normal once you get back in the seat and move the shifter. Might have to momentarily move to park, I can't remember. An auto-park message probably showed up on your dash but that might have happened after you got out.

T-case in neutral (instead) also does the job

Or as @Jim1964 suggests, buckle your seatbelt behind you before you get out - should disable auto-park.

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP

cab1024

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Thanks for the help guys. I wonder how many people actually pretension their winch lines. I'm a stickler for reading instructions, mainly so I don't overlook any cool features of things.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Thanks for the help guys. I wonder how many people actually pretension their winch lines. I'm a stickler for reading instructions, mainly so I don't overlook any cool features of things.
....but you didn't read your owner's manual covering the auto park "feature"? I don't think stickler means what you think it means. ;)

OP
OP

cab1024

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
....but you didn't read your owner's manual covering the auto park "feature"? I don't think stickler means what you think it means. ;)
Touche! I read a lot of really boring parts of the Jeep manual trying to find some hidden features. Auto-park was so boring i may have dozed off then.

Alright, headed out to Bee Canyon, Indian Mountain and Black Mountain in the San Jacinto mountain range this morning with my girls and dog. Hope I won't need Auto-park or the winch!

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport

I pretension my line every time Im done using it. My preferred method is to have the t-case in 4lo, transmission in neutral, and the E brake set to provide decent resistance. With the t-case in low auto park does not engage. I walk with the Jeep guiding the line on to the spool. With it being in 4x4 the braking force from the e brake is transferred to the entire driveline and all 4 wheels, so the rears don’t lock and drag. I also don’t do the full spool in one shot to keep the winch motor and trans cool. About 20’ sections with cool downs in between. I keep a fair amount of tension on the line while spooling, but not to the point where there’s resistance from the winch…..goal is about 1000 lbs of consistent tension.
Sponsored