Press clutch to start in automatic

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
I got this message the other day on my 18 JLU when the batteries were very weak. Replaced the batteries and after a few starts it now says press BRAKE instead of CLUTCH to Start. I am blaming the dead batteries at this point.
Sponsored

kakwvu

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Just had my jeep in for this. Service department told me that it needed a new security gateway module. It’s $500 installed after an unknown waiting time for it (to maybe work).

I’ll live with it.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Just had my jeep in for this. Service department told me that it needed a new security gateway module. It’s $500 installed after an unknown waiting time for it (to maybe work).

I’ll live with it.
At least the service department in their infinite wisdom didn't try to charge you $5K for a clutch pedal.. LOL

JRun

First Name
Jeanette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
My 2018 JLU automatic had this problem stating to press the clutch, along with odometer not always displaying, the driver screen showing “R” (reverse) instead of “D” while driving forward, and dash panel controls not working immediately upon start up (volume, fan speed, “A” button, radio station dial, etc; however steering wheel radio controls worked). It began at ~30k miles after a software update recall. FIVE service appointments later and paying for a CarPlay update I did not need (they were guessing at that point), it now appears to have been fixed by my new service tech painstakingly going through all the software on my vehicle one by one and comparing to what software should be on the vehicle. He verified the correct software was in each module; the body control module and speedometer had the wrong software. It’s been three weeks and still functioning correctly, the longest run of this since the recall a full year ago. He did not go by the Service Bulletin some have posted here with success, so I wanted to comment that checking all the software may help someone. Happy trails!

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
We get this occasionally in my wife's JLU. It's a 2018 Sport S with about 38K miles. Once in a while, I'll get the random "Push Clutch to Start" even though it's an Auto. While shopping on the weekend, on one startup the odometer said "999999" but corrected itself after a bit. I've also seen the configurable display default to OEM on startup, with the temperature in one corner and compass in the other. I have it configured to show MPG and range. It corrects itself on the next startup.

Batteries were replaced about 2 years ago, and from watching the voltmeter, are charging correctly. I figure it's just some random electrical glitch that happens when the system boots up. Haven't had it back to the dealership since they did the Cruise Control reprogramming recall in like 2019 I wanna say.

Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2022 Chevy Colorado
Vehicle Showcase
I have never had this happen, but occasionally, have had to press the clutch to shift my automatic when in "sport" mode........🤔🤔🤔😕

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
I still get the press clutch message from time to time even with good batteries so dunno. I get the 999999 miles all the time now and once got an outside temp reading at 800*F. I sometimes get no odometer reading at start up as well. I have read about taking it in to the dealer to get the Jeep computer flashed but I am a cheap bastard and don't want to pay the shop time when it really is not impacting the Jeep at all other than a slight annoyance.
Sponsored