Prescott Arizona Area in December?

kiese02

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
We are trying to plan a family vacation in the Prescott Arizona area somewhere around December 20th, 2020. I am looking for suggestions of places to stay for a family of 4 with a dog. My wife found a couple cabins at Verde Ranch RV Resort and Bison Ridge but would like to hear if anyone has ever stayed there or if there is other places we should check out. Also looking for suggestions for trails to go on while we are there. We have a stock JLUR and would be looking for easy to slightly moderate trails. It's my wife's daily driver for now so nothing extreme this time around. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
If you are willing to drive to New River, AZ check out Table Mesa Road. Super easy and if you download the Jeep Badge of Honor App you can get directions to it and earn your first badge while you are at it!

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
You could take the Senator Highway to Crown King. Nice trip and lots to see. Not sure which direction I would go back......but may want to go to Cleator (extra cool Bar to visit) and then Hiway 17 and north to then return to Prescot. Would be a long day tho.

Alternately.....go back the way you came. Crown King is a cool place to visit.

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
If you are willing to drive to New River, AZ check out Table Mesa Road. Super easy and if you download the Jeep Badge of Honor App you can get directions to it and earn your first badge while you are at it!
The Table Mesa Road is a long way from the OP's starting point. But.....worse news is that that trail is currently closed. Better check before you go. Lots of other trails closer to your point of origin.

WranglerAz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2019 JLR, 2000 TJ
Have you tried looking at airbnd or that other outfit v-something? Senator Highway is nice, Broken Arrow in Sedona is better. I doubt snow will be a problem here, usually January is snow heavy. Another idea is to call Summit 4x4 in Prescott and talk to Jesse or Colton for ideas.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kiese02

kiese02

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Have you tried looking at airbnd or that other outfit v-something? Senator Highway is nice, Broken Arrow in Sedona is better. I doubt snow will be a problem here, usually January is snow heavy. Another idea is to call Summit 4x4 in Prescott and talk to Jesse or Colton for ideas.
I will have the wife investigate some airbnb's and vrbo's. Thanks for the info. I will check in with Summit.

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It should be plenty cold in Prescott that time of year. I did an AIRBNB there once in the winter and it was snow, ice, icicles, the real winter we don't get in Phoenix. So plan accordingly.

Mingus Mountain is a nice area to check out. Mostly open fire road type stuff. Senator to Crown King is also a solid option. If you're interested in Jerome, check our Mingus. Otherwise I would probably favor Senator trail, weather permitting.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
We came down from Flagstaff a few years back and went through Jerome which is close to Prescott. That's a neat little town that I think is worth seeing. Looks like some forest roads near there too that I wish I'd had time to explore then.

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
From Prescott, you can head up the back way through Jerome.
Mingus Mountain is the high spot between the two. There's a few trails in there to run that would indeed be difficult in January if there's snow.

If the snow is there just go to Jerome. It's a really cool old mining town that has turned to tourists for revenue. If you like the old mining history stuff, old bars, artist villages, etc. you'd have a blast.
Sponsored