Premium Soft Top vs. Standard Soft Top

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Is there much of a difference in quality, thickness and durability of the Premium Twill soft top vs the standard Soft Top? I have an opportunity to purchase a used Premium top. My 2018 JL has the standard top right now.
Sponsored

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have the standard and i feel its more than adequate. For me I’m not sure it’s worth the money to upgrade, however i just put my hardtop on for the winter.

For me i would only upgrade if it only cost me 1 o 2 hundred to make the switch. This is all my opinion of course

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I've never had a premium top, always the standard. And the JL is by far the best IMO. Some say the premium is quieter, but I couldn't tell a difference myself. My TJ top lasted 10+ years.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Premium top uses a thicker fabric vs the standard vinyl.

The fabric cuts down on unwanted noise and outside temperature relative to vinyl; has a more premium feel to the touch, and a higher-end matte look, particularly with the contrasting stitching.

Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I read the standard is grey underneath? My premium sunrider softop is black underneath which is nice.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Standard has a grey bottom and and different support system. A few threads on the standard ripping where it fastens to the support bars.

Since I decided a hard top was not for me, I put some of that $$ into the premium and have no regrets

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
The premium is definitely thicker, but in all honesty the standard is totally fine (especially if you do soft just seasonally). I even prefer the look of the standard.

I the premium on my jeep and my sister has the standard on her jeep. I'm telling you, don't waste hundreds of dollars thinking the premium is some kind of gigantic leap. People talk about the noise difference, but I regularly ride/drive under both, and there is very little difference. Same goes for weather protection or anything like that. The standard is totally, totally fine.

If you can wait for a sale and get the premium difference down to like 1 or 2 hundred bucks, then maybe go for it. Otherwise, I'd save 500 bucks and just go standard.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Do you notice any difference in shrinkage/ difficulty in raising/ lowering/ installing windows in cooler weather between the 2 materials ? Thanks

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Do you notice any difference in shrinkage/ difficulty in raising/ lowering/ installing windows in cooler weather between the 2 materials ? Thanks
Well, it's below freezing where I live now, and I need to help my sister get her keys out of her jeep tomorrow morning (she locked herself out haha), so I can let you know tomorrow lol Probably gonna have to wrench one of her side windows out. Just hope we don't break one of the plastic clips doing it.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Standard for the win. The vinyl actually looks nice. I prefer the look over the old blanket. In fact, I thought the premium was the vinyl before I knew which was which. Easier to clean as well. Peace!

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Like said above there is very little noise difference between the two, the premium stays black while the standard will fad over time
I just went with the standard on the JL because the only benefit I liked of the premium when I had the JKs was it was softer so didn’t chew up your hands in the cold when fighting the zippers

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Not going to argue with folks over this but there is no comparison. Find two jeeps side by side and look and feel the difference for yourself. Call Bestop and ask them what the difference is and what the life expectancy is for both. The premium is just that, better, tougher, and lasts longer. Bestop does sell a good cleaner and protectant for their tops. Taken care of they should last at least ten years or more exposed year round.
We have three jeeps all softops and none are garage kept. Yes South Texas does have relatively warm sunny summers and the premium tops do not fade.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Not going to argue with folks over this but there is no comparison. Find two jeeps side by side and look and feel the difference for yourself. Call Bestop and ask them what the difference is and what the life expectancy is for both. The premium is just that, better, tougher, and lasts longer. Bestop does sell a good cleaner and protectant for their tops. Taken care of they should last at least ten years or more exposed year round.
We have three jeeps all softops and none are garage kept. Yes South Texas does have relatively warm sunny summers and the premium tops do not fade.
Yes, that was determined 4 years ago when this thread was left for dead. ;)

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Yes, that was determined 4 years ago when this thread was left for dead. ;)
Well it could be said I'm older and could be considered left for dead myself, so I guess me or this thread should be put out to pasture. I see a subject that I have actual first hand experience with, with a question that I know the correct answer to, I answer it. I figure if me or the thread is old and pointless it will be left for dead and that will be the end of it.

Sorry to brush the dust off and disturb the cutting edge tech of today's much more pertinent subjects like whats the latest cool app or radio size, or who has a bug up their azz.
Sponsored