martinhayrap

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sting-Gray
Hi Guys,

Just picked up a 2018 JL sport unlimited with the premium soft top, I want to change it to a freedom hard top painted the same color as my car. What will be the easiest way to do this? Is there additional hardware needed to install the hardtop once my softop is taken off? Is it possible to do the conversion my self?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Martin
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
The easiest way is to find someone selling a hard top on craigslist or on this forum. The colored ones don't come up often and they go quick. You can buy one unpainted and have it painted but it will cost you. The hardware is easy to get but if you want the defrost and rear washer you will need the connection kit which is not an easy install.

Lots of other threads on this here. I'll see if I can find you a link.

edit: Here's a link - Adding a Hardtop to my Saraha... What do I do for the Rear Wiper???

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Since you have a soft top model wrangler you do not have the rear wiper or washer so even if you do find a top you will not have those features. That is probably your biggest obsticle. Just give it time you will find a top for sale or trade...

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I learned from another post that the places where the "L" clips of the Freedom Panels attach is NOT standard on factory soft tops only. You made this hardware that attached to the Sports Bar as well.

Because I made a Dual top purchase (i.e. my purchase included a Hard top,) this hardware came with my rig and didn't initially realize that it could be absent for other owner's (e.g. soft top, perhaps power top) rigs.

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
As @ThirtyOne says you could buy an unpainted one however be careful. I don't think the hardtop like on my Jeep is the same as the painted ones - not sure as I've never seen one in person. But black tops like mine have a "splatter" texture to it. From pics it appears the factory painted ones are perfectly smooth. I could be wrong but just something else to look into.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
As @ThirtyOne says you could buy an unpainted one however be careful. I don't think the hardtop like on my Jeep is the same as the painted ones - not sure as I've never seen one in person. But black tops like mine have a "splatter" texture to it. From pics it appears the factory painted ones are perfectly smooth. I could be wrong but just something else to look into.
They sell both. The unpainted one is smooth and the textured one is painted black.

OP
OP
martinhayrap

martinhayrap

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sting-Gray
The easiest way is to find someone selling a hard top on craigslist or on this forum. The colored ones don't come up often and they go quick. You can buy one unpainted and have it painted but it will cost you. The hardware is easy to get but if you want the defrost and rear washer you will need the connection kit which is not an easy install.

Lots of other threads on this here. I'll see if I can find you a link.

edit: Here's a link - Adding a Hardtop to my Saraha... What do I do for the Rear Wiper???

The rear washer and defrost looks like a pain in the ass after reading that thread lol.

Regardless I want to get this done relatively quickly, I think I'm just going to try to order the parts online from MOPAR because I am not having luck finding it on the forums or craiglist and I think finding one painted from the factory is going to be even harder as I don't want the texturized look. I just hope the install wont be too difficult and I can avoid going to a body shop especially since the I want the rear washer and defrost. Decisions Decisions..

JLRubiCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I just purchased a 2018 JLUR Sting Gray with a paint matched hard top and an looking to trade for the black hard top. Also interested in a premium soft top though so pm me to discuss.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hi Guys,

Just picked up a 2018 JL sport unlimited with the premium soft top, I want to change it to a freedom hard top painted the same color as my car. What will be the easiest way to do this? Is there additional hardware needed to install the hardtop once my softop is taken off? Is it possible to do the conversion my self?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Martin
Satire:

Keep what you have and paint the rig black?;)

jbozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just purchased a 2018 JLUR Sting Gray with a paint matched hard top and an looking to trade for the black hard top. Also interested in a premium soft top though so pm me to discuss.
what price are you asking for the soft & is it a premium top twill?
needs to fit my new 2019 jlur …. thanks
Sponsored