Sponsored

Premium soft top melting in this heatwave.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I know the feeling... I'm waiting on the next Ice Age so that we will finally have a *temperate* climate around here... :(
I’ve been near the Gulf in TX this time of year. Dunno how you guys stand it! That humidity is just godawful. Much worse than the “dry heat” of AZ, in my opinion (though you guys out west can keep that, too).

Yeah, all things being relative we don’t have it so bad here in CT during the summer. On the flip side, you guys whine when it’s in the 40’s! Or, God forbid there’s a little snow!

All of that said, it’s hot and sticky again, today. Off to the lake!

:jk::flag:
Sponsored

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
It's going to be 77 today in beautiful OC, CA. 105 by Friday, but back into the mid-80s by Monday.

I hadn't even considered the temperature in regards to top choice. Anyone had any permanent damage to either the standard or premium soft top (JK or JL) from heat exposure?

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been near the Gulf in TX this time of year. Dunno how you guys stand it! That humidity is just godawful. Much worse than the “dry heat” of AZ, in my opinion (though you guys out west can keep that, too).

Yeah, all things being relative we don’t have it so bad here in CT during the summer. On the flip side, you guys whine when it’s in the 40’s! Or, God forbid there’s a little snow!

All of that said, it’s hot and sticky again, today. Off to the lake!

:jk::flag:
We deal with the heat by air-conditioning EVERYTHING... I remember going to Six Flags when I was a kid and the waiting lines were air-conditioned with normal freon-type air-conditioning, not with the misting systems like you probably see these days. Oil and gas was cheap, thus energy was cheap, therefore we figured we could just air-condition the outside. To deal with the humidity though, we had to slowly evolve so that we now have gills to be able to breathe. :)

I've been up north before and it seems that they forget how to drive in the snow after just a couple of months without it. The fact that it might have been 10 or 20 years since our last snow kind of makes it not so surprising that people around here might forget also. And besides, we don't tend to get snow storms, we get ice storms. It's a lot more slippery driving on ice than on snow.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Had 114F here in SoCal on Friday, 108F yesterday and my windows are well double saggy. From an engineering / physics stand point, I can understand that material will expand with heat....but my hope is it will contract back and go back to being taunt. But not likely. The vinyl windows will probably stay droopy now :-(

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Had 114F here in SoCal on Friday, 108F yesterday and my windows are well double saggy. From an engineering / physics stand point, I can understand that material will expand with heat....but my hope is it will contract back and go back to being taunt. But not likely. The vinyl windows will probably stay droopy now :-(
This isn't about expansion due to heat, it's about getting closer to the meeting point of the plastic and it softening and the weight causing it to eventually stretch.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
We had a record setting 117 degrees on Friday. Soft top windows were fine though. I keep a cover on the Jeep during the day. I think direct sunlight causes the most damage, in all kinds of ways!

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We had a record setting 117 degrees on Friday. Soft top windows were fine though. I keep a cover on the Jeep during the day. I think direct sunlight causes the most damage, in all kinds of ways!
I had driven my wife to this little Sunday Cackling Hens thing she does with her friends on Sunday and I noticed on one woman's car that one tire was quite a bit wider where it touched the ground than the others. I mentioned that she might want to get it looked at. As the were inside doing the cackling stuff, I looked at the tire a little closer to see if I could see a nail exposed. I pressed in on the tire with my knee to get an indication of how much pressure was in there and it seemed way too soft, so I then tried just pressing with my thumb. I was able to easily press a pretty good indentation just with my thumb. I had an air compressor in the back of my car, so I asked her for the keys to her car so that I could plug the air compressor into her 12V plug and air the tire up for her. She said to not bother since it was *only* 20 miles back to her house. I had to explain to her that if I could that easily put an indentation in the tire with just my thumb, it was dangerously low and she should not be driving on it. She gave me the key and I plugged in the air compressor and quickly discovered that it said that she only had *8 psi* in the tire. I'm surprised that the bead even stayed seated at that low of a pressure. I aired it up to 35 psi and told her that I could not find a nail on the part of the tire that was exposed, but her husband *really* needs to look at it when she gets home since there might be a nail that was on the bottom of the tire and I could not see it.

As hot as the roads are and with the tire that low on pressure, I could see it overheating and either self-destructing or unseating the bead if she took a curve too fast.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

The heat has been brutal here in AZ. Glad I went with hardtop for delivery.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
It was 101deg. here in Fernley, Nv yesterday and will be in the 100's most of the week, but

I have my A/C temp set at 81 degrees, because the HUMIDITY is usually around 5% to 10% and 80 deg. is comfy

In California at my home in the SFNbay--81 deg. is BRUTAL-

humidity AND WIND MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE-

Whatever

JIMBO

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite, 15 JKS 2DR, F80 M3
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
94? I remember my first Texas winter :) Even my JK does this, just be careful not to lean anything on them as it will crease easier

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I was raised in Louisiana. I'm used to 105F with humidity above 90%. Now that I live in Colorado, every day feels great! A couple of weeks ago, Denver had 105F but the humidity was somewhere around 5%. There was a light breeze and things felt great!

Of course when it drops below 20F, I'll be whining..

Bondshasha

First Name
Yvonne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Anyone with the Premium soft top having their windows sag/distort in the heat wave?

I went to roll the back window up to fit some boxes in the back and just the weight of the flap on my hand was enough to put an indentation on the plastic window. It's about 94 degrees here.
Yes, I am in Florida,We are ok with this Verbiage. they sag and look bad all during the day. But my biggest complaint is the the top does not fit well and funnels all water straight into the vehicle through ever door when it is raining. No way to get in and out without a puddle of water in through all doors.

Newbiejeeperjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited JL
I nearly spit out my food when I read it was 94. Lol. You guys up north should Never, Ever talk about us, in the south, not being able to drive in snow. I went out for a 5 mile run today. 95 with 80% humidity. My little,10 lb, dog was tired but made the run. My two bigger dogs beat me home. 105 Is Hot. 95 and below is outside weather!

Newbiejeeperjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited JL
Yes, I am in Florida,We are ok with this Verbiage. they sag and look bad all during the day. But my biggest complaint is the the top does not fit well and funnels all water straight into the vehicle through ever door when it is raining. No way to get in and out without a puddle of water in through all doors.
Weird. I don’t have a premium top but after all the rain we had this spring, I didn’t have one issue? Maybe you should talk to the dealer?
Sponsored