Sponsored

Premium soft top care

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
As title says it’s a premium twill soft top for my 2020.

I never owned a soft top.

what is my best product for protecting it?

I see chemical guys have one. Best top has one.

also for my weekly washes I assume I can use my typical suds I use on my paint. I use just suds. No other waxes or chemicals in it.

I’m just trying to get a game plan together so I don’t ruin it.

I use Wolfgang products for all my care but never noticed a soft top cleaner or protectant from them.

thanks all!
Jim
Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
I got the dual top option when I ordered my JLUR. A lot of us use this for soft top cleaning. 32 oz should be enough for one setting. Recommend applying once every two or three months: 303 Fabric Guard - For Outdoor Fabrics - Restores Water Repellency To Factory New Levels - Repels Moisture - Prevents Stains - Safe For All Fabrics, 32 fl. oz. (30606CSR). REMOVE YOUR VINYL SOFTOP WINDOWS BEFORE APPLYING THIS.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KMYYQ36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_PMMWJYVC0TCYB86S63J9?psc=1

For Vinyl Windows only use this: 303 (30207CSR) Multi Surface Cleaner Spray, All Purpose Cleaner for Home, Patio, Car Care and Outdoor, 32 fl. Oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JAMYDFC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_GA7B50NNHDQ9R5Y2887F

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh nice I didn’t realize 303 had fabric protectant. No residue left behind right? Thanks! Jim

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I vacuumed my fabric convertible tops, a soft wall brush worked great to pull out dust and grime. Washing can grind dirt in, so be gentle

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I vacuumed my fabric convertible tops, a soft wall brush worked great to pull out dust and grime. Washing can grind dirt in, so be gentle
Really? I figured a strong stream of water should be able to pull anything out of the fabric.

Sponsored

Care208

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Convertible Top Video

I have the sky one touch and a 2013 VW ragtop, both need some love, I like the chemical guys stuff... am planning on getting it done this weekend will let you know how it goes!

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.autogeek.net/raggtopp-premium-fabric-kit.html

I ended up with this company. A local detail shop I used to use was doing a top yesterday. This is what he has used for a while now. I liked the process and the spray on for the protectant. He has been pleased and I have known him for years. I used to take my trucks to him before I got into doing them myself.

I also bought the window protectant.

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
on my previous wranglers... soft tops last much longer if you do not use soap on them. the high detergent stuff that car washes use will remove all the chemical treatments that protect your top from UV.

just my opinion, but it's best to use only water on the soft tops.
water and a soft brush is all you need for the top.

on the plastic windows, water no brush no rubbing at all. only hose them and very very lightly swab with a soft sponge or cloth. again, no rubbing. mild soap is ok on the windows, but rubbing the grit is bad news.

Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
on my previous wranglers... soft tops last much longer if you do not use soap on them. the high detergent stuff that car washes use will remove all the chemical treatments that protect your top from UV.

on the plastic windows, water no brush no rubbing at all. only hose them and very very lightly swab with a soft sponge or cloth. again, no rubbing. mild soap is ok on the windows, but rubbing the grit is bad news.
I never ever use car wash anything only water to power wash off salt in winter or heavy mud. They soap they use takes off waxes and sealers.

that’s good to know about no soap on the tops. Makes sense. Like I said before rarely on any truck I have owned my room never needs subs unless a bird craps on it

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase

Agree 100% on both of these recommendations. No sense dropping lots of $$$ on cleaners that actually leach the chemical treatments that are already impregnated in the fabric. However, you will eventually need something to clean the windows when they start getting hazy, and to buff out the micro-scratches that are inevitable, no matter how careful you are. I've used Meguiar's for a long time, but it seems like the formula has changed somewhat in recent years and requires some elbow grease to apply. Lots of folks in this forum recommended Plexus, which seems to be extremely effective and easy to use on all plastics. My JL is only a few weeks old, so not going to apply it until I absolutely have to (less is always better), but definitely look forward to seeing the difference.
Sponsored