limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have a compressor to fill tires and carry a battery powered impact wrench for removing fasteners, lug nuts, etc. But I was wanting to add a CO2 system to my recovery gear, primarily to re-seat a bead as I don't have beadlocks (yet). I initially was going to get a PowerTank, but was balking at the price. Then I looked at the Smittybilt tanks, but to be honest, I'm not a fan of Smittybilt in general and their CO2 tanks had poor reviews.

After doing some more searching, I found Preece Precision, which offers complete 10 and 15 pound systems, along with a bunch of optional regulators, etc. Their reviews were good and their prices are about 40% less than PowerTank.

I ordered a 15lb CO2 system (with black powder coated aluminum tank), which included a 0-250psi adjustable regulator, 300psi digital tire inflator, 20' coil hose, handle, and mount for $453 shipped. Preece claims their regulators are non-freezing.

I received the order within 2 days and had it filled for $21. Initial impressions are very good. The powder coating is excellent, they include a nice selection of air chucks for filling various types of valves, and the hose and digital tire gauge seems to be a quality unit. The regulator has brass connections and a lightweight aluminum body.

I installed the mount (which is a universal mount, not JL specific like the PowerTank BTS Bracket) on the backside of my Tuffy Security Deck. I used 3/8" rivet-nuts and bolts to secure the mount to the security deck (rivet-nuts and bolts were left overs/extras from my MC fender and fender liner install). I was worried the Tuffy deck would flex or rattle too much with the tank attached to it, but so far it isn't an issue. The bottom of the tank mount sits on cargo floor, so this also helps support it. The biggest drawback to where it's mounted is the inability to raise the back seat into the normal seat position. Since the tank will only be taken on off road trips, I'll remove the mount for normal daily driver usage.

I haven't used it yet, but am planning on using it on my upcoming Rubicon trip, at least to air up tires. If I'm unlucky, I'll even get to re-seat a tire bead or two.

For the price and features, this system seems like an excellent alternative to the pricier PowerTank systems and lower end Smittybilt systems.

Jeep Wrangler JL Preece Precision CO2 Tank/System - Initial Review IMG_1007
Jeep Wrangler JL Preece Precision CO2 Tank/System - Initial Review IMG_1008
Jeep Wrangler JL Preece Precision CO2 Tank/System - Initial Review IMG_1009
Jeep Wrangler JL Preece Precision CO2 Tank/System - Initial Review IMG_1014

Jeep Wrangler JL Preece Precision CO2 Tank/System - Initial Review IMG_1015
Sponsored

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
I have a compressor to fill tires and carry a battery powered impact wrench for removing fasteners, lug nuts, etc. But I was wanting to add a CO2 system to my recovery gear, primarily to re-seat a bead as I don't have beadlocks (yet). I initially was going to get a PowerTank, but was balking at the price. Then I looked at the Smittybilt tanks, but to be honest, I'm not a fan of Smittybilt in general and their CO2 tanks had poor reviews.

After doing some more searching, I found Preece Precision, which offers complete 10 and 15 pound systems, along with a bunch of optional regulators, etc. Their reviews were good and their prices are about 40% less than PowerTank.

I ordered a 15lb CO2 system (with black powder coated aluminum tank), which included a 0-250psi adjustable regulator, 300psi digital tire inflator, 20' coil hose, handle, and mount for $453 shipped. Preece claims their regulators are non-freezing.

I received the order within 2 days and had it filled for $21. Initial impressions are very good. The powder coating is excellent, they include a nice selection of air chucks for filling various types of valves, and the hose and digital tire gauge seems to be a quality unit. The regulator has brass connections and a lightweight aluminum body.

I installed the mount (which is a universal mount, not JL specific like the PowerTank BTS Bracket) on the backside of my Tuffy Security Deck. I used 3/8" rivet-nuts and bolts to secure the mount to the security deck (rivet-nuts and bolts were left overs/extras from my MC fender and fender liner install). I was worried the Tuffy deck would flex or rattle too much with the tank attached to it, but so far it isn't an issue. The bottom of the tank mount sits on cargo floor, so this also helps support it. The biggest drawback to where it's mounted is the inability to raise the back seat into the normal seat position. Since the tank will only be taken on off road trips, I'll remove the mount for normal daily driver usage.

I haven't used it yet, but am planning on using it on my upcoming Rubicon trip, at least to air up tires. If I'm unlucky, I'll even get to re-seat a tire bead or two.

For the price and features, this system seems like an excellent alternative to the pricier PowerTank systems and lower end Smittybilt systems.

Hi Guy,
I found your review of the Preece unit. Thanks so much. I'm about to pull the trigger on one too and thought to ask, after a year with it what your thoughts are.

I'm deliberating back and forth between the 10lb and 15lb system for two reasons: 1) I'm a little concerned about the size of the 15lb system being tall enough to impede packing other items. Footprint seems the same as the 10lb, but looks like it sticks quite high above the seat back. 2) I'm not sure I'll need the capacity of 15lbs during a given trip. Even if I I air up 3 - 5 times (315/70R17) it seems the 10lb'er gets it done for a given trip. and I suppose a 3rd reasons is I'm partial to the candy blue.

Also not sure how I'd mount it, and am looking at PowerTank's behind the seat option (don't have another rigid platform as you've shown here) but man it's expensive...
So anyway, any additional thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Cheers,
JBC

OP
OP
limeade

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Guy,
I found your review of the Preece unit. Thanks so much. I'm about to pull the trigger on one too and thought to ask, after a year with it what your thoughts are.

I'm deliberating back and forth between the 10lb and 15lb system for two reasons: 1) I'm a little concerned about the size of the 15lb system being tall enough to impede packing other items. Footprint seems the same as the 10lb, but looks like it sticks quite high above the seat back. 2) I'm not sure I'll need the capacity of 15lbs during a given trip. Even if I I air up 3 - 5 times (315/70R17) it seems the 10lb'er gets it done for a given trip. and I suppose a 3rd reasons is I'm partial to the candy blue.

Also not sure how I'd mount it, and am looking at PowerTank's behind the seat option (don't have another rigid platform as you've shown here) but man it's expensive...
So anyway, any additional thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Cheers,
JBC
I've used it about 4 times to air up all four tires (37"), going from 12 to 32 psi. Takes less than one minute to air up each tire, so it's fast. Haven't needed to refill yet, so no info on how long the 15lb tank lasts vs. a 10lb. With the cheap cost of a refill, if space is a concern then the 10lb tank would be sufficient. I really wanted to have a CO2 tank in case I needed to reseat a bead, but haven't lost one yet.

The regulator has never froze up and it has worked flawless. This is such a great unit, especially considering the cost vs. a Power Tank. It does everything I've needed it too and haven't needed to buy anything else for it.

I still use the same mount attached to the Tuffy deck. You could opt for the Power Tank roll bar mount, but I like mine where it's at. In the event I need the back seat, I've stowed it in the cargo area and secured with a tie down strap.

I also have a 12 volt air compressor as a backup in case I run out of CO2 or don't feel like bringing the tank along. But this was a very smart buy and the Preece is well worth the cost.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
But this was a very smart buy and the Preece is well worth the cost.
This is what I was hoping for. I pulled the trigger yesterday on the 10lb system and will live with it for a while before deciding on mounting options. It's not something I'll daily drive around with in the back. I'm thinking I'll prop it upright (can these lay horizontally w/o freezing/malfunction?) behind the back seat and wedge a bunch of other (soft) items around to keep it in place - then strap the handle to the back seat's headrest.
Re. cost vs. PowerTank, in complete agreement. Especially 'cause it looks like it's the exact same tank - minus the sticker.
Re. the roll bar mount, don't think it'll work. I'm running the Dominion Offroad Hi-Lift mounts off the Sport Bar so there's a lot of stuff up there already, and that big handle on the tank is prob. gonna interfere. We'll see once I get it.
Thanks again for the information and help.
Peace, JBC
Jeep Wrangler JL Preece Precision CO2 Tank/System - Initial Review IMG_2718
Jeep Wrangler JL Preece Precision CO2 Tank/System - Initial Review IMG_2720

OP
OP
limeade

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is what I was hoping for. I pulled the trigger yesterday on the 10lb system and will live with it for a while before deciding on mounting options. It's not something I'll daily drive around with in the back. I'm thinking I'll prop it upright (can these lay horizontally w/o freezing/malfunction?) behind the back seat and wedge a bunch of other (soft) items around to keep it in place - then strap the handle to the back seat's headrest.
Re. cost vs. PowerTank, in complete agreement. Especially 'cause it looks like it's the exact same tank - minus the sticker.
Re. the roll bar mount, don't think it'll work. I'm running the Dominion Offroad Hi-Lift mounts off the Sport Bar so there's a lot of stuff up there already, and that big handle on the tank is prob. gonna interfere. We'll see once I get it.
Thanks again for the information and help.
Peace, JBC
Yes, they can lay horizontal for transport/storage without issue. They need to be upright when using though.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
@jbcrane I have a 20# tank that I put together myself with a Luxfor tank off Amazon and a Preece regulator.

On a recent trip I was able to air up a buddy's 37"s twice and my 315's four times. Then I went on another shorter trip and aired mine up twice more. On the last air up the tank was obviously almost empty. Power tank has a chart you might find useful if you haven't seen it before:
PowerTank (Package B) 10lb. System | Quadratec

I'd encourage you to figure out a way to secure the tank as soon as possible. It's a lot of weight that could go airborne in an accident.

You may also want to consider a hose that does well in extreme cold temperatures since some don't hold up as well as others. This one probably isn't the best, but it was the best I could find locally available (I cut it up and made a 4 tire system):
Metabo HPT 1/4-in Kink Free 100-ft Polyurethane Air Hose in the Air Compressor Hoses department at Lowes.com

Lastly, if you haven't already tracked down a place that can fill your tank, it's not as easy as it seems it should be. Most places in my area want to swap tanks vs fill yours. Fire extinguisher shops that can do hydro tests onsite are usually a good bet.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@jbcrane I have a 20# tank that I put together myself with a Luxfor tank off Amazon and a Preece regulator.

On a recent trip I was able to air up a buddy's 37"s twice and my 315's four times. Then I went on another shorter trip and aired mine up twice more. On the last air up the tank was obviously almost empty. Power tank has a chart you might find useful if you haven't seen it before:
PowerTank (Package B) 10lb. System | Quadratec

I'd encourage you to figure out a way to secure the tank as soon as possible. It's a lot of weight that could go airborne in an accident.

You may also want to consider a hose that does well in extreme cold temperatures since some don't hold up as well as others. This one probably isn't the best, but it was the best I could find locally available (I cut it up and made a 4 tire system):
Metabo HPT 1/4-in Kink Free 100-ft Polyurethane Air Hose in the Air Compressor Hoses department at Lowes.com

Lastly, if you haven't already tracked down a place that can fill your tank, it's not as easy as it seems it should be. Most places in my area want to swap tanks vs fill yours. Fire extinguisher shops that can do hydro tests onsite are usually a good bet.
Thanks Brad - all excellent advice.

Re. filling: we have a local outdoor shop (not just backpacks and Patagonia jackets... weapons, machinery, etc.) that will fill it for less than $15, so there's that. And they just fill your while you wait, no swapping. So my candy blue will remain my candy blue ;-).

Re. securing it - that's the pickle and I appreciate your thoughts - here and on another thread I found where you mentioned the danger of CO2 leaking, which I'd not really considered. If I'm not carrying it around all the time - trying to figure out a secure mounting system that doesn't rattle when empty becomes the challenge. I like the PT BTS mounting bracket and will probably go that route, but it's pretty pricey and I want to make sure that's what I want to do before committing. Its will displace a Sherpa saddle bag living in that spot which is a bummer, but PT now offers a cool wedge bag that will slip in there instead.

Re. volume - I'm by no means an every weekend kinda guy (sadly). So when I hit a trip it's usually for a week at a time. In that case it helps to know about how many air up's that 10#'er will give up. I'll grab the PT chart... seems like a good place to start. I've thought about adding a second 10#'er for longer trips - but am not sure that's a better solution than a 15# or 20#... so in the interest of avoiding paralysis by analysis I decided to start small and go from there. If I need a larger tank I'll order just it and swap out all the other goodies.

Re. hose: I went with Preece's 20' braided (yellow). My question was mostly about length. PT hoses run about 30', so I've wondered if a coiled 20' is enough to leave the tank mounted in back and stretch all the way to the front tires - without permanently stretching out those coils. So I guess I'm thinking I'll carry the tank to the front tires... in which case I didn't need 20'. So IDK how it's gonna go, but still some things to work out. Cold weather temps... hmm... hadn't considered that. Thank you again.

Peace, JBC

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lol that's awesome they can fill for you. Personally, I'd have gone red but... ; )

In the vehicle I'm not too concerned about a slow leak. You don't want one but if it happens I'm sure there is enough outside air getting in, and I'm awake, that I doubt it would be an issue. If the rupture disk pops, that's really loud and you'd know it.

When not using mine, I just keep it in the spare bedroom closet or in the office. The risk of something bad happening is probably really low. You'd have to be asleep, with a big enough leak to be dangerous, but still quiet enough for it not to wake you up.

Probably less of an issue with a 10# tank but high on my list was for me to be able to use it without pulling it out of the back. Depending on what mounting solution you go with, you may consider a snorkel tube (not the same a siphon tube). You could make it with a piece of copper pipe and a few fittings but the amount of time I spent futzing with it trying to get it just right... I'd just buy it next time.
Snorkel Tube Upgrade for Horizontal Power Tank Use
Jeep Wrangler JL Preece Precision CO2 Tank/System - Initial Review 1658514670261

You may have also seen on one of those other posts how I ended up going with a 20# tank. If I was doing it again, I'd probably get a 10# or run a compressor. The smaller bottles have more mounting options and they're not as heavy. I really like how @limeade did it. Another way could be to hang it under a shelf if you have the snorkel tube.

The Preece hoses should be good to go, I personally wouldn't like a coiled hose pulling against the side of the Jeep. I'm sure plenty of folks don't like coiling up a straight hose when their done though either.

Let us know how you go so we can criticize you later! ; )

1658514692667.png

OP
OP
limeade

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Re. hose: I went with Preece's 20' braided (yellow). My question was mostly about length. PT hoses run about 30', so I've wondered if a coiled 20' is enough to leave the tank mounted in back and stretch all the way to the front tires - without permanently stretching out those coils. So I guess I'm thinking I'll carry the tank to the front tires... in which case I didn't need 20'. So IDK how it's gonna go, but still some things to work out. Cold weather temps... hmm... hadn't considered that. Thank you again.

Peace, JBC
The Preece hose is long enough for 2 and 4 door JLs. I've left in mounted in my JLUR and take the hose out of the rear doors. If you're using it for a long bed truck, a 30 footer would be a better choice.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got my 'hybrid' CO2 setup set up. Super happy. Preece bottle, regulator, handle and hose, but doing a few little things different. Have decided to go with PowerTank's BTS (Behind The Seat) mounting solution with a cool little wedge bag that tucks in between bracket and wheel well. Expensive, but looks like a perfect solution I'll do once and not have to worry about again. Not mounted yet but will provide pictures when it's in.
Jeep Wrangler JL Preece Precision CO2 Tank/System - Initial Review Bottle, Regulator and Handl

Also ordered their (PT's) stand-alone custom handle/grip with the slotted holes that will allow tools to be inserted with the hose attached. Bolts right in to the Preece handle - they (PT) even provide new Allen bolts - and a PowerTank sticker (!). Of course - I had to add a few of my own RatRod stickers to christine the bottle. And - I'll probably add one of PT's groovy 6-Shooter handles when I get an extra $45 burning a hole in my pocket. Make a great stocking stuffer.
Jeep Wrangler JL Preece Precision CO2 Tank/System - Initial Review Stand-Alone Handl

Using my ARB601 inflator to inflate/deflate. And picked up a large, inexpensive nylon compression stuff sack to wrap around the bottle when mounted in the Jeep.

Lastly, ordered a Hex-Rim plastic boot for the bottom. Soaked in hot water for 5 minutes then slipped right on. Works like a charm.
Jeep Wrangler JL Preece Precision CO2 Tank/System - Initial Review Hex-Rim Plastic Boot

Had the tank filled at the local outdoor shop last weekend. $15 in and out no mess no fuss. Held 9#. Was not surprised to learn when they re-fill it they need to purge any additional CO2 before re-filling. So there's no 'topping it off' - you have a decision to make if you're at half a tank and heading out for a week...

Picked up a hanging scale from Amazon to track weight. Marked empty weight with and without the regulator/handle on the adhesive label. The guy who filled it first time said it filled super easy and was a quality tank. Looks great too.

Overall super happy with the Preece solution. They were very responsive and accommodating during my peppering with silly questions as I familiarized myself with the world of CO2 before purchasing. Everything shipped fast, was in perfect condition when arrived and works exactly as it should. Pretty happy to have saved a few hundred dollars piecing the tank system together ala carte. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks like a professional solution, nicely done! Looking forwards to seeing the mount and bag.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like a professional solution, nicely done! Looking forwards to seeing the mount and bag.
Thanks Brad, and thanks for the help getting up and running. The only thing I can see keeping an eye on is leaving the tank in the Jeep - in the heat - for extended periods. Most of his life heā€™s garage-kept, and I donā€™t plan on daily-driving with the tank mounted so shouldnā€™t be a problem. But there was an interesting write up included with the Preece tank regarding increase in pressure commensurate with heat. Def. something to be aware of. Will post again after the bracket install.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ya I only carry mine when I plan on airing down. But on those longer trips, if I stop to eat or something, Iā€™m a bit nervous šŸ˜¬
Fingers crossed my luck continues to hold.
Sponsored