Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Mine, (FWIW: I bought the higher end one) which I've yet to open, arrived today. I have no idea where I was in the pre-order line compared to others who pre-ordered.:)
Sponsored

Yakpimp

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
How does this work when you want to take the whole top off? Do you need to remove this first?

I'm also concerned that you have to put a velcro strap on it when it's flipped back to hold it. Why didn't they make a latch for that?

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Mine, (FWIW: I bought the higher end one) which I've yet to open, arrived today. I have no idea where I was in the pre-order line compared to others who pre-ordered.:)

I got a call this afternoon from Bestop letting me know mine was shipping tomorrow at the discounted price, not as excited since the weather is cold now, but on leave next week so will probably install then...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Mine arrived today, so we should see a wave of these arriving in forum members' hands soon!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Yakpimp

As for the straps, a few JL owner's that had pre-release Sunrider for JL's stated they drove on interstates and such with no straps and no subsequent issues or say the top flailing, etc.. Undoubtedly, Bestop is stating to use the straps, more for lets say liability reasons.

I have not installed yet (will do tomorrow) but it appears that the hard top could be removed and the Sunrider could stay in place... but, but why would you do this.

SO, if one wants hard top off they will undoubtedly remove the SR, which means they need to unbolt the SR which will take say 10 min. more additional when they unbolt the actual hard top.

I really believe the SR will be particularly appealing to those JL owner's on the go, often that do not usually or at all remove the hardtop.

Those same gals/guys would be thrilled to have the open air experience, similar to when Freedom Panels are removed...

With the SR, the open air can be had in seconds and no Freedom Panels to remove, fool with or store.

Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
@Yakpimp

As for the straps, a few JL owner's that had pre-release Sunrider for JL's stated they drove on interstates and such with no straps and no subsequent issues or say the top flailing, etc.. Undoubtedly, Bestop is stating to use the straps, more for lets say liability reasons.

I have not installed yet (will do tomorrow) but it appears that the hard top could be removed and the Sunrider could stay in place... but, but why would you do this.

SO, if one wants hard top off they will undoubtedly remove the SR, which means they need to unbolt the SR which will take say 10 min. more additional when they unbolt the actual hard top.

I really believe the SR will be particularly appealing to those JL owner's on the go, often that do not usually or at all remove the hardtop.

Those same gals/guys would be thrilled to have the open air experience, similar to when Freedom Panels are removed...

With the SR, the open air can be had in seconds and no Freedom Panels to remove, fool with or store.

your last 3 sentences describe me perfectly, I removed my freedom panels quite a lot during the summer months, easy to remove, but can be a pain if you are constantly removing and installing them. I garage my jeep so I could leave the panels off over night for the commute in the morning which was nice.

But the sunrider is the best of both worlds, i can now close the top if I'm stock in traffic and It starts to rain (got rained on twice stuck in DC traffic) and I can run to store close quickly then open when I leave. And you gain all the space back in the rear not having to store 2 panels. Getting excited again!!

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Bestop called today and it’s shipping tomorrow. So they’ve fixed the glitch and taking care of the customer. Nice!

Living here in Colorado we go from freezing cold to a sunny, relatively warm-ish, day all the time. Bipolar weather is an understatement. Especially during the summer when thunderstorms, heavy rain and/or hail can happen in an instant. Looking forward to having the simplicity of throwing the top back and enjoying the good weather in an instant now too.

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Apache Junction, AZ and North Mankato, MN
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
I ordered mine today from 4WP in Mesa, AZ. Estimated to ship in mid-December and 1 hour of installation labor ar $110.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
JK Sunrider owners, what are you feelings about keeping this bad boy on during all of winter rather than the Freedom Panels?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered mine today from 4WP in Mesa, AZ. Estimated to ship in mid-December and 1 hour of installation labor ar $110.
@Mojito

Raping you .... if they charge you $110 for install of the SR.

Install time would be about 30 min. Instr. even say 30 min.

Sponsored

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Of course it will stay on sun, rain, snow, below zero. I've owned mostly convertibles so I have zero issue with a soft top. They really aren't any colder than a plastic hard top.

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Described perfectly. Born in Denver raised in the Springs

Living here in Colorado we go from freezing cold to a sunny, relatively warm-ish, day all the time. Bipolar weather is an understatement. Especially during the summer when thunderstorms, heavy rain and/or hail can happen in an instant. Looking forward to having the simplicity of throwing the top back and enjoying the good weather in an instant now too.

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Apache Junction, AZ and North Mankato, MN
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
@Mojito

Raping you .... if they charge you $110 for install of the SR.

Install time would be about 30 min. Instr. even say 30 min.
I will check again but I was there when he called Bestop and they told him 1 hour for labor and their shop rate at 4WP is $110.

Here’s my deal: I’m a snowbird and don’t have my tools down here and don’t mind having them provide the installation warranty should any leaks appear. In addition the tops were $699/$849 when they first were announced so paying $599 for the twill I feel I’m already $250 ahead lol!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Mojito Mojo

Ok, I hear ya..

By the way, only tool necessary/needed is a T40 torx driver and that is it. You also need about 2 inches of electrical tape. Nothing else needed but 30 mins. time. Helpful to have a second set of hands for a minute or two.

You might want to watch the install video that I posted in multiple forum threads.

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Oooh - and the T40 torx is already in the included Jeep tool kit! So just some small amount of tape (electrical or whatever) is needed for the initial install. Once installed it sounds like the tape does nothing or Bestop would have included it if it was required after install. Bam - done and FREE! Saves another $110. Go out to dinner in Scottsdale or something!

@Mojito Mojo

Ok, I hear ya..

By the way, only tool necessary/needed is a T40 torx driver and that is it. You also need about 2 inches of electrical tape. Nothing else needed but 30 mins. time. Helpful to have a second set of hands for a minute or two.

You might want to watch the install video that I posted in multiple forum threads.
Sponsored