Sponsored

Practically new Jeep rattling noise, is it loose tie rod? (videos)

TheArlenG

First Name
Arlen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys Sting Gray
Hi All... My Jeep with 5k miles started making a rattling, clanking sound coming from the front going over very small and larger bumps. I have a few videos to help diagnose. I know I can take it to the dealer, but I heard that these components don't do well with any lift (it's only 2.5"), so considering aftermarket. I'm not looking to throw money away, but I don't want to keep getting frustrated with weak OEM parts. I already had a tie rod end replaced under warranty. Three videos below...What do you guys think? Appreciate any input....thank you.

Video 1 - driving.. sorry for all the wind noise. You can hear some metal on metal clanking

Video 2 - you can see there is some play in the tie rod and drag link. I think the drag link play is normal, but tie rod?

Video 3 - Standing on the side step rocking the Jeep
Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Tie rod seems like it could be a little loose? It's supposed to have some play when you twist it by hand (and that looks normal when you did that), but it sounds abnormally loose when you're rocking the Jeep back and forth. If it were me I'd take a wrench to the bolts on either side and see if they're loose, failing that I'd go in and see what the dealer says.

Best way to find the issue is to start the jeep and have someone rack the steering back and forth repeatedly for a couple minutes while you're underneath touching all the points. You should be able to 100% isolate the play that way, but it seems like you may have found it already.

OP
OP
TheArlenG

TheArlenG

First Name
Arlen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys Sting Gray
Tie rod seems like it could be a little loose? It's supposed to have some play when you twist it by hand (and that looks normal when you did that), but it sounds abnormally loose when you're rocking the Jeep back and forth. If it were me I'd take a wrench to the bolts on either side and see if they're loose, failing that I'd go in and see what the dealer says.

Best way to find the issue is to start the jeep and have someone rack the steering back and forth repeatedly for a couple minutes while you're underneath touching all the points. You should be able to 100% isolate the play that way, but it seems like you may have found it already.
Yeah I'm going to check the bolts. Maybe I'll get lucky. Thank you for the reply.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Check the flag nuts on your control arms also, I had a loose control arm bolt and the flag nut was hitting up against the slot in the frame making a similar noise.
Sponsored