Powered side steps

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Interesting- I got this email from AMP when I was inquiring on their site about their site only referring to 2018-2019 JLU application:

"Hi,

Thank you for contacting us! At this time, we do not have any plans to make our products for a 2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU. We would suggest you reach back out to us in 6 months for any updates regarding future builds.

Thank you!

Natalya T.
Customer Care"

WTF????
Wondering if there's any difference 'tween the 19 and 20?
Sponsored

swordsmn

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JlUR, 2007 Porsche Base Carerra
Occupation
Software Co. Artful Excuse Maker
Vehicle Showcase
For those that have these installed, is there a way to make them deploy/retract when the doors are removed?
Yes on the Rock slides. Itā€™s an option i regret not adding. I did receive a switch that disables deployment if i want to exit while on a rock or between said rock and a hard place :)

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yes on the Rock slides. Itā€™s an option i regret not adding. I did receive a switch that disables deployment if i want to exit while on a rock or between said rock and a hard place :)
Yes absolutely very easy get this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076...sGQ&hsa_cr_id=4360452160201&ref_=sb_s_sparkle and place by sensor on the door frame move it to deploy and with magnet there they stay retracted I put my sensors close enough to latch so could put magnet there will not stick to aluminum lol

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Interesting- I got this email from AMP when I was inquiring on their site about their site only referring to 2018-2019 JLU application:

"Hi,

Thank you for contacting us! At this time, we do not have any plans to make our products for a 2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU. We would suggest you reach back out to us in 6 months for any updates regarding future builds.

Thank you!

Natalya T.
Customer Care"

WTF????
Not sure what to tell you, but we arranged to have the AMP steps installed through our dealer before we took delivery (2020 RUBI). I think they actually sublet the work out to the Jeep custom shop next door to them.

They are lighted, by the way.

Pipes

First Name
HP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU, Jeep SRT

Sponsored

AnARcHy

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, 1990 Toyota Truck, 1998 FLSTC
Occupation
Firefighter
Yes, you can get the Amp override switch for like $30 easy to install. Plug and play.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRZ23HV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Do you have this installed? Iā€™m just trying to make sure that the steps will still function normally with the doors on, but also that I can deploy and retract them for use when the doors are off. Also, does the switch deploy both sides or do I have to have separate switches on each side? Sorry if I am asking too many questions about this. Just trying to make sure that the steps are going to do what I want them to do before buying them

Pipes

First Name
HP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU, Jeep SRT
Do you have this installed? Iā€™m just trying to make sure that the steps will still function normally with the doors on, but also that I can deploy and retract them for use when the doors are off. Also, does the switch deploy both sides or do I have to have separate switches on each side? Sorry if I am asking too many questions about this. Just trying to make sure that the steps are going to do what I want them to do before buying them
Yes, I have this switched installed. It's a 3 position switch. Up is for steps to stay up, middle is neutral so operated by opening and closing of the doors, and down position to keep them down. You can change the position and anytime. 1 switch operated both sides. So if you have your doors off you can use the switch to drop and lift both steps. Also all you need is the switch with the new units. No need for additional controllers. The wires harness it comes with plugs right into the controller.

AnARcHy

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
Yes, I have this switched installed. It's a 3 position switch. Up is for steps to stay up, middle is neutral so operated by opening and closing of the doors, and down position to keep them down. You can change the position and anytime. 1 switch operated both sides. So if you have your doors off you can use the switch to drop and lift both steps. Also all you need is the switch with the new units. No need for additional controllers. The wires harness it comes with plugs right into the controller.
Thank you for that information. That was exactly what I needed to know!!!

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Does anybody know who would give the best discount on a new set of these for a 4D JLUR? I've been very interested in getting these.

Great information in this thread, by the way.

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
RSE could probably do themselves a favor and widen the step a bit. For the minimal cost difference, I'd much rather have a slider but understand the attraction of a wider step

Sponsored

captnjbk

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon. 2017 Moto Guzzi V7.
For sure the Rock Slide Engineering power sliders.
My wife couldn't get in at stock height. Now it's +3" higher. She loves them.
Customer support at RSE is great. Always super helpful and know their stuff.
Highly recommend.

AnARcHy

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
I have looked at both the AMP XL and the RSE steps. I have decided to go with the AMP mostly because of the wider step. They also cover the pinch welds very well, and have a nice clean look. Both are rated for light to moderate off road use, so I donā€™t think either have an edge on durability and Iā€™m not going to be doing any crazy off-roading anyway. I also like that I can add the switch to use the AMP steps when the doors are off. Iā€™m not knocking the RSE steps by any means. The deciding factor was the wider step.

AnARcHy

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
Just finished Amp XL install today on 2019 Sahara. I'll take some more pics tomorrow. Really happy with them so far. Very clean install too. No drilling needed. Just taps into door wire with simple wire taps they include. No wires running in the door jams like other installs. Nice LED lights integrated for front a rear door step area. Customer support was class.

IMG_0078.jpeg
Could you measure from your door sill to the top of the step on your AMP XLā€™s? Still undecided on them or regular.

AnARcHy

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
Could someone who has the AMP steps measure from the top of the step to the door sill and post that measurement? I am still undecided on the standard or the XL, and want to experiment before buying them.

OP
OP
mreloc

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitude; VWGTI
I'm not advocating for the Aries Action trac that I ordered (i'm not affiliated with them in any way) but I was thinking for your purposes (with your 83 year old mom) that the aries design might suit her best, given that it actually gives two surfaces (a lower and an upper step) to step on. I selected these for my wife who has really bad knees and this makes it much easier on her.
Sponsored