Power steps really worth it?

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
Planned on buying Rock slide power steps, but I’m cheap. Can afford them, but are they worth it? Won’t a $400 set of steps suffice? Wife wants power steps. I could put that money towards something else lol.
Sponsored

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Worth EVERY penny. I will never go back to not having them on my vehicles. They extend down much further than traditional fixed steps. Only drawback is added complexity.

Also had Amps on my Ram 2500, and intend to get them when my new truck comes in. Game changer.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Are you going rock crawling? If so, its worth it. If not, personal preference then. I am on my second set, on my second Jeep.

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do plan on eventually doing some off-roading and rock crawling. At some point

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I decided that they are not worth the cost and purchased a set of frame mounted slider/steps instead. My wife is 5’2” and has zero issues with the rail/step (roam). Your mileage will vary and a powerstep might be absolutely worth every dollar for you.

Sponsored

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
"Worth It"" means different things to different folks.

Does she have trouble getting in the Jeep right now? You could find a lot of good steps that are a lot cheaper.

There are a lot of side steps in the 200-400 range. 2 or 4 door?

Cgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door
I am considering them also. Had a set of power step boards that came factory on my F150 Limited. Really liked them but started having problems with them after a couple of years. Had to oil them often. Problems with retracting. Would not always go up. Thinking AMP made them for Ford factory option. Has anyone had problems with Rock Slide?

zgrw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
How durable they are as well? I am personally worried if they would get destroyed on my first rock crawling. Can I rely on them to stay healthy after off road? I was also researching this topic

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wife is 5’4” and has trouble getting in our 4 door sport ecodiesel stock. I have a 4.5” Evo lift coming and 37” km3s. So I’m assuming an extra 5.5” of height.

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
I am considering them also. Had a set of power step boards that came factory on my F150 Limited. Really liked them but started having problems with them after a couple of years. Had to oil them often. Problems with retracting. Would not always go up. Thinking AMP made them for Ford factory option. Has anyone had problems with Rock Slide?
I had the AMP steps on my 09 Ram. I had to oil them so much it was leaving stains in my driveway. Called and complained to AMP they had me rehanging to make sure they were square not binding. Bad design with only one motor. Fronts were always hanging. Wouldn't recommend AMP steps to anyone. Makes me apprehensive on The RSE steps. But I haven't heard many complaints.

Sponsored

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Yes, they are worth it. JLURD, 2.5 AEV lift, 37 KO2s. My wife is 5’2”. Before the Rockslide steps, I was having to help her get in. I’m 6’ and find it useful to get in too. Also a great place to stand when folding the top back. My RSE steps made the Jeep fun for us both.

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, they are worth it. JLURD, 2.5 AEV lift, 37 KO2s. My wife is 5’2”. Before the Rockslide steps, I was having to help her get in. I’m 6’ and find it useful to get in too. Also a great place to stand when folding the top back. My RSE steps made the Jeep fun for us both.
So I shouldn’t be such a cheap ass? Lol

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
So I shouldn’t be such a cheap ass? Lol
Unless somebody is physically disabled there is no reason to spend this much money on those unless you have money to burn.

Bottom line. There are other options.
Sponsored