Power steering high pitched noise?

jefflaur1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 4 door
We have a nice new 2021 JLU Altitude that develops a high pitched sound “like wind noise” after it warms up. Seems to come from the power steering system. Sounds like wind noise..but doesn’t do it for about 40 min until things warm up..doe these nee systems have a place to check fluids or anything? Anyone else finding this?
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi @jefflaur1,

We're sorry to learn that you are experiencing this concern with your new 2021 Jeep Wrangler! If you decide to visit your servicing Jeep dealer for a diagnosis, please feel free to contact our team via private message. We would be happy to provide an additional layer of support while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
jefflaur1

jefflaur1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 4 door
Hi @jefflaur1,

We're sorry to learn that you are experiencing this concern with your new 2021 Jeep Wrangler! If you decide to visit your servicing Jeep dealer for a diagnosis, please feel free to contact our team via private message. We would be happy to provide an additional layer of support while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
The vehicle is at the dealer (Duvall Motors, Clayton, GA) and they have had it for several days but cannot pinpoint the issue..

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The vehicle is at the dealer (Duvall Motors, Clayton, GA) and they have had it for several days but cannot pinpoint the issue..
Thank you for providing this update. If you would like support while in service, we can certainly have a case escalated within our customer care team for assistance. If interested, please send us a private message.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Did the dealership agree it was an issue?

Sponsored

Barky

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
I have the same issue. Let me know if the dealership finds anything.

OP
OP
jefflaur1

jefflaur1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 4 door
The dealership agreed that it was an issue. Apparently someone from Chrysler told them to replace the “steering box” and it did not fix it. Then they replaced some gearing of some sort and thst did not work. I finally asked what I should do and also whether this “might” be an indication of some dangerous steering problems and they could not guarentee thst it was “just a noise” because they couldn’t figure it out. Stethoscopes came out and it is in the steering. I am not a fan of continuous trial and error, with various parts and pieces being rebuilt and replaced by the local dealer. Well we bailed on it. I traded it back to the dealer with under 600 miles in it and we opted for a very nice and quiet Grand Cherokee Summit. Cost me a bundle in more down payments but it seemed like a better outcome. We purchase new cars in part for a little more faith thst things won’t go wrong. Endless trips to a dealer an hour away want going to happen if they have “no clue what it is”

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Mine has made noise from day one, I can’t hear it until I roll the window down. Never had a problem with it.

Necron 99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Is this the noise you are describing? I have this too. I've heard folks describe it as the tea kettle noise. It's definitely related to steering. If the noise is apparent and you are in park, you can turn the wheel a bit and the noise fluctuates.

Sponsored

jacob66999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ Wrangler
Mine does this too. I have 300 miles. If you put it in park and slightly touch the wheel it whines for about 5 seconds or so. Sounds almost like a belt maybe some sort of motor turning on and off quickly. Never hear it at speed only at idle.

jacob66999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ Wrangler
It's normal on all Jeeps. Now let this thread go to rest.
You've said that twice but what is it? I'm no mechanic but I've been around boat motors and cars for a few decades. Something whining/squealing from an engine bay doesn't inspire much confidence (i.e. its usually a problem). All brakes squeal eventually with your logic we should just ignore because they all do it.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
You've said that twice but what is it? I'm no mechanic but I've been around boat motors and cars for a few decades. Something whining/squealing from an engine bay doesn't inspire much confidence (i.e. its usually a problem). All brakes squeal eventually with your logic we should just ignore because they all do it.
It's the steering pump, apparently all JLs do this, usually a steering pump that squeals is not good, but apparent there is something in the inherent design of the hydraulics that makes it noisy.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-whine.17910/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/high-pitched-noise-from-steering.13956/

jacob66999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ Wrangler
It's the steering pump, apparently all JLs do this, usually a steering pump that squeals is not good, but apparent there is something in the inherent design of the hydraulics that makes it noisy.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-whine.17910/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/high-pitched-noise-from-steering.13956/
Thank you. I guess I take some comfort in knowing I'm not the only one, not really. What are these engineers doing over there? Engineer 1: "Well we have a PS system that has worked for decades let's just use it in the JL." Engineer 2: "No let's redesign it." Engineer 3: "Wouldn't it be great if it sounded like it was going to take a giant dump from day 1." Engineer Boss: "Perfect let's get work on that stat; Engineer 1 your fired go work for Toyota."
Sponsored