Sponsored

Power Seat Conversion on my JL rubicon It should have came this way from the factory

SimbaRodger

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 jeep rubicon xr
After much criticism. And people telling me it won't work or its impossible. I put 2021 Cherokee ltd heated and cooled seats in my Rubicon. With factory seats I could drive maybe an hour and would get out walking like I was 80 years old because my back hurt so bad. I put on 6 hrs strait yesterday and was a little stiff but pretty much the same as my wifes trail hawk. This was a lot of work at first and of course I complicated it up and tried multiple configurations. The seat brackets are Motobuilt PRP seat brackets I tied different heights ect. and in the end I only ended up using the Motobilt seat brackets that just bolt to the floor. It sits 3/4" higher than my wife's trail hawk seat with everything else being the same. The only thing I could not get to work is the u connect for heated seats but just ran a heated seat switch instead and yes both heat and cooled part of the seats work. The air bags are hooked up I had to change plugs to match. There is no lights, I used all jeep sensors and no resistors were used. I did have to zip tie the factory pressure switch as it wouldn't fit in the seat. I highly reccomend this if you can fab stuff. After going back the basics and KISS keep it simple stupid method it is not hard to do at all now that it is figured out. I plan on doing the passenger seat as well when I get a little more time and then powder coating the brackets.
Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
Very interesting. Nice.. 👍

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
They don't offer power seats from the factory because they would limit the ability to hose out the vehicle. That legacy feature, like the fold-down windshield, is likely used very infrequently, but it's part of the Jeep mystique.

Nice job!

Last edited:

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Good work ! How about more pics and wire info when your done.

Sponsored

J_Winslow

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
I have had power seats.. they are nice when you have multiple drivers or something that changes to help easily get in an out...

In a wrangler the seat rarely moves... get it positioned and never move it again.

OP
OP

SimbaRodger

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 jeep rubicon xr
They don't offer power seats from the factory because they would limit the ability to hose out the vehicle. That legacy feature, like fold-down windshield, is likely used very infrequently, but it's part of the Jeep mystique.

Nice job!
This makes zero sense to me as all the electrical under the factory wrangler seats. None had die electric grease. I would really like to see this as a factory option.

OP
OP

SimbaRodger

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 jeep rubicon xr
Good work ! How about more pics and wire info when your done.
I have had power seats.. they are nice when you have multiple drivers or something that changes to help easily get in an out...

In a wrangler the seat rarely moves... get it positioned and never move it again.
I have horrible back issues so I need to be able to move the seats in almost every position to get comfortable. After a 6 hr ride yesterday I feel pretty good today. where before I hated to even want to get in it

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
While it’s not cooled but arent the reclinable prp seats with heating are basically plug and play? I mean they’re not cheap but I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say they were uncormfortable.

Sponsored

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Good pics, it's the airbag coupler swap that I was curious about. My old ass back is not 100% myself but I just think that is a better looking more comfortable seat.

OP
OP

SimbaRodger

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 jeep rubicon xr
Good pics, it's the airbag coupler swap that I was curious about. My old ass back is not 100% myself but I just think that is a better looking more comfortable seat.
I had to use original plug off of seats to plug in air bag in seats wasn't bad at all. The seat plug that is on the rail plugged right in and also had to move the seatbelt buckle over with it. I used pretty much the whole original seat harness only thing that wasn't plugged in was the heated seat option as u connect wouldn't work with it.

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR
Everyone’s body type is different obviously. I’ve done multiple 12-15 hr plus trips in both JKs and JLs and find the seats extremely comfortable, no pain or stiffness at all afterward. As for them being manual, I absolutely love it and hope that’s always standard and they can offer power for those who feel they need it. I love the charm and legacy of the manual seats.
Sponsored