Power lag between shifting (Manual)

cowgirljeeper

First Name
Shaunti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bikini Pearl JLUR, 1997/2001/2-2014 Rams, 1979 Ford, 1978 Ford step-side
Different tire size between the 2? Totally different great ratios in this transmission as well.
no, both had/have 33's and i have noticed that. JL has more pick-up than the JK did so that's what threw me off w/having to downshift so far. but not too worried about, just downshift and go on.
Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Just look at the gear ratios:
1st: 5.13
2nd: 2.63
3rd: 1.53
4th: 1
5th 0.81
6th: 0.72

There is a big difference between 1st and 2nd and a decent different between 2nd and 3rd. The shift from 1st to second takes a second for the revs to drop and match. Look at your tach when you shift, it drops like 2.5k RPMS. I shift out of first around 3-3.5k RPM and I always make sure to leave the foot on the gas for an extra *fraction* of a second (from 1st to 2nd) and get good shifts and a minimal loss in power. You are definitely going to feel the power drop in 4th because its your 1:1 ratio and 5th/6th are overdrive gears. It really helps to have the grab point down well. In mine the grab point is pretty early on the throw and if you can sync up your feet and right hand you will have minimal time during shifts and minimal power loss.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

we all have this problem. you have to rev up to 3200-3500 rpm between shifts. i am currently working on re-gearing my 3.43 sport gears to 4.10s or 4.56 gear which will help.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I seem to be having kinda the opposite of what you're experiencing. With my foot off the gas, when I depress the clutch, RPMs jump for a second on their own... how much it jumps seem to depend on my rolling speed. It makes it pretty easy to shift. I figured it was some kind of idiot-mode FCA put into their manuals (or one of their "fixes" [hacks] done in response to complaints). I also notice that I never really slow down past a point when in gear; like I'm in some sort of low-speed cruise control/anti-stall. Could just be some different revision of programming I suppose.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I seem to be having kinda the opposite of what you're experiencing. With my foot off the gas, when I depress the clutch, RPMs jump for a second on their own... how much it jumps seem to depend on my rolling speed. It makes it pretty easy to shift. I figured it was some kind of idiot-mode FCA put into their manuals (or one of their "fixes" [hacks] done in response to complaints). I also notice that I never really slow down past a point when in gear; like I'm in some sort of low-speed cruise control/anti-stall. Could just be some different revision of programming I suppose.
The OEM tune definitely has rev hang. I personally find it annoying as I like to manage my rev matching and the rev hang slows my shifts if I want to rev match. Double clutching seems to help the revs drop quicker, but I the need for that went out with synchronizers.

Engine breaking seems to be limited below 2K RPMs. If you watch the real time MPG display you can see it seems like the ECU is fueling the engine below 2K RPM even though you aren't touching the gas pedal. Above 2K RPM my MPG goes to 99 and I can hear a difference in engine fueling (I don't have the OEM muffler so it's a bit easier to hear).

Sponsored

dabial

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara, waiting patiently 2023 Rubicon
Hey Dabial, how ya been? i really first noticed it when on my usual route to work a certain hill that I had to downshift from 6th to 5th in my JKU i now have to basically go down to 3rd to pull the same hill in my JLU.
Other then that you loving it???

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
The tune definitely has rev hang and it does bump the RPMs a bit. It is really noticeable when you over-blip for a downshift. The computer definitely helps you blip, but if you over do it then the revs just hang foreverrrr. I don't seem to notice the "low speed cruise" like you describe.

snowtx1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I have the same issue with no torque below 2,000 RPMs. You just have to rev it hard to keep it in the power band. I also agree that the rev hang is really annoying.
Sponsored