Rubicon 4xe

TucsonDweller

First Name
Braden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubi 2.0 eTorque
While I occasionally shop at Harbor Freight and appreciate the value they bring to tools that are infrequently used, I would never use a Harbor Freight electrical device connected to a Jeep. Never mind connected that same device to my house.

On to the intent of your question…does Jeep mention anything like this like the Ford Lightning can be used? It is certainly possible, but if the Jeep isn’t setup for pulling off power then I’d be concerned about safety devices causing a fuss.

Santana74

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler Sahara Altitude 3.0l, 18 Jaguar F-Pace
I have a 2000W Predator Inverter Generator purchased from Harbor Freight. It has been used to power my small shop for 6 years. I would definitely purchase another one if mine was stolen. Paid around $450 for it and saw that it's around 600 now.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
First, beware using a "Modified Sine Wave" inverter on any motor driven appliances or microwave ovens. They don't like it at all.

Also,
There is a youtube out there on doing just this...
But, I will say that I don't agree with how he goes about wiring his house for use with a generator. It's dangerous, against code, and illegal to do without an interlock between the house main breaker and the generator input breaker. Also, wiring only 120v to a house is extremely dangerous and will break things. I also believe that he under sized the battery cables to his inverter from the 12v battery on his 4xe. This is not something to mess with without fully understanding what you are doing.

I want to install a 1-2k watt inverter as well. My plan is to use either the spare high amp fuse that would normally power the Aux battery on a non-4xe jeep and/or use a resettable breaker. Then I'll run a pair of 2 gauge wires to the inverter mounted somewhere in the rear.

Note, I am not trying to power a house. I just like to have the ability to run some appliances or tools should i feel like it.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I'd like to build upon what Robert @redracer said. In the U.S., the electrical current the energizes the sparker for your gas furnace is supposed to be hardwired to the electrical system.

The only code compliant (and here is a place where I think code should be followed) way to energize that sparker from an electrical source external to the power that comes through your breaker box is through the use of a transfer switch.

Such a switch not only has a circuit breaker built into it, which insures that you don't pass more current through the furnace line than it is rated for--which can start a fire--but guarantees that the external power source that you energize the furnace with can't end up on the power lines external to the home.

Utility workers are suppose to check for such current when servicing downed lines after say an outage, but we still don't want to back feed power.

The switch I refer to comes in a wide variety of sizes and features, the simplest of which can be found here:

https://www.reliancecontrols.com/search-result?search_text=furnace&page=1

Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I'd like to build upon what Robert @redracer said. In the U.S., the electrical current the energizes the sparker for your gas furnace is supposed to be hardwired to the electrical system.

The only code compliant (and here is a place where I think code should be followed) way to energize that sparker from an electrical source external to the power that comes through your breaker box is through the use of a transfer switch.

Such a switch not only has a circuit breaker built into it, which insures that you don't pass more current through the furnace line than it is rated for--which can start a fire--but guarantees that the external power source that you energize the furnace with can't end up on the power lines external to the home.

Utility workers are suppose to check for such current when servicing downed lines after say an outage, but we still don't want to back feed power.

The switch I refer to comes in a wide variety of sizes and features, the simplest of which can be found here:

https://www.reliancecontrols.com/search-result?search_text=furnace&page=1
Those are great solutions. Especially if you have an older main panel.

This is what I used to add a generator breaker and external connector to my newer panel. If you look at the recommended options, there are kits like this for a bunch of brands.
Square D QO 150-225 Amp Indoor Load Center Generator Interlock Kit

You can also use a transfer switch to just power individual branch circuits, like lighting and heating...
15 Amp 120V 4 Circuit Indoor Non-Automatic Power Transfer Switch Kit

Everyone should keep in mind that all of these solutions should be installed by someone who is qualified to do so.

And no one should be wiring a generator into just some random breaker. EVER! (Yes, I work for a Utility) ;)

OP
OP
SilentJL

SilentJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Im learning things may be different in different parts of the country, also my title may be a little misleading.

My gas furnace plugs into a standard 3 prong socket. It has an ignighter - no sparks. I was thinking of running an extention cord from the jeep to the furnace and to the refrigerator. That is all.

The youtube link is interesting but I agree that it's a terrible idea to plug the jeep into the breaker box. It does show that the large battery will power the 12 volt, and 1500 watts seems possible.

Any recommendations on a 1000- 1500 watt proper sine wave inverter? They seem to be significantly more expensive than modified sine wave inverters.

Reactions: J0E

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I just did most what is needed to provide inverter power to a few essential circuits in my house. I purchased an inverter, wired in a plug etc. I have not tested my cut-over/transfer/lockout switch yet.

There is a lot to it and if you are not educated on things like what bonded neutral and floating neutral I would encourage you to do so.

But I think most people should look into providing emergency power to their homes.

You should also look at your power companies provided daily info on you usage to determine want you need. I purchased a 6500/5000 watt unit for my essential needs. My average usage is .7 kw/hours.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Im learning things may be different in different parts of the country, also my title may be a little misleading.
I don't mean to be a hardass @SilentJL so I am just going to say this matter of factly and nonjudgementally....

the national electric code, which apply named, applies to the nation, requires furnace igniters (sparkers---pick your word) to be hard wired.

That yours plugs in would suggest it not code. Is this terrible...I don't think so. I think the need to hardwire furnace sparkers is a bit much....after all we're not hardwiring toaster ovens.:)

My gas furnace plugs into a standard 3 prong socket. It has an ignighter - no sparks.
Got it. It doesn't make a spark like my torch's lighter, but it produces high intensity heat over a small surface to ignite a flammable gas---we're on the same page. :)

I was thinking of running an extention cord from the jeep to the furnace and to the refrigerator. That is all.
It sounds like you're good to do so now that I understand your electrical connections better. :)

Might I at least interest you in putting a fuse or circuit breaker on the line from your 4xe to these appliances to protect the wire that energizes them in an emergency from fire?

OP
OP
SilentJL

SilentJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Hardass away, no one knows anyone's background on the internet. I'm an engineer so I know just enough to be dangerous đź‘ą . My Heater was installed professionally about 20 yrs ago with a permit. I imagine the standard changed in that time. My unit is rated to pull only 6 amps, refrigerator would be on a separate cord and is rated to pull 6.5 amp. If the inverter is fused and I use 12 gauge extention cords would an additional fuse be overkill?

Sponsored

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Hardass away, no one knows anyone's background on the internet. I'm an engineer so I know just enough to be dangerous đź‘ą . My Heater was installed professionally about 20 yrs ago with a permit. I imagine the standard changed in that time. My unit is rated to pull only 6 amps, refrigerator would be on a separate cord and is rated to pull 6.5 amp. If the inverter is fused and I use 12 gauge extention cords would an additional fuse be overkill?
No thanks, gas inverters are too cheap and you are cutting it too close running your fridge. No way I would want to plug a fridge into a 4xe. Average start up for a fridge is over 1500 watts.

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
No thanks, gas inverters are too cheap and you are cutting it too close running your fridge. No way I would want to plug a fridge into a 4xe. Average start up for a fridge is over 1500 watts.
The DC to DC converter in the 4xe is rated to provide 2,500 watts continuously. Remember, there is no alternator and Jeep did not overlook the fact that people want to power winches, lights, air compressors, etc.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate

The youtube link is interesting but I agree that it's a terrible idea to plug the jeep into the breaker box. It does show that the large battery will power the 12 volt, and 1500 watts seems possible.

Any recommendations on a 1000- 1500 watt proper sine wave inverter? They seem to be significantly more expensive than modified sine wave inverters.
My gas furnace plugs into a standard 3 prong socket. It has an ignighter - no sparks. I was thinking of running an extention cord from the jeep to the furnace and to the refrigerator. That is all.

That's what I've done for several of my neighbors in a power outage. My 5KW generator ran my duplex, two gas ranges (zero power), 2 washing machines (low power), two gas dryers (low power), 2 refrigerators + lights. Gas water heater, so that's free too.

At 7 PM I shut down the generator and watch movies off my inverter and batteries.

I've been living off grid at least a month a year for the last 30 years. 20 years ago cheaper inverters (not pure sine wave) wouldn't run a TV, too much noise and made motors run hot. 20 years ago my trailer had a couple pseudo deep cycle marine LA batteries and a 2Kw pure sine wave inverter. My current trailer has a cheap 2Kw inverter connected to the factory 12 V LA battery and two 12V 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries in series to a 2KW pure sine wave inverter. You should get an inverter with at least double the size you anticipate needing 95% of the time. Same thing for a generator.

My current home has 2 powerwalls + solar in Hawaii so I never run out of power. The power company pays me now. I used to own 20 gen sets at one time, now I'm down to just the Honda 2.2Kw - camping and double backup.

You get what you pay for in generators. If you're serious about backup, you should have at least two generators. A Honda 2.2K, super fuel sipper, runs most essentials. You can run it later at night. A 5KW if you need more power, up to 4KW. Unless you get a really good generator, they're not made to run at peak continuous load for very long. Transient high loads are OK. You should load test your gen sets at least once a year.

Might I at least interest you in putting a fuse or circuit breaker on the line from your 4xe to these appliances to protect the wire that energizes them in an emergency from fire?
Not necessary IMAO.

I installed this inverter in my buddies rig a couple years ago. He uses it often and is happy. Renogy are good but overpriced.

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
The pure sine wave inverters are more expensive (due to their complexity) but much easier on electrical equipment, motors and electronics alike. FWIW the OEM inverters in some of our Jeeps are modified sine wave and do work, but looking at the electrical output on an o'scope was a bit appalling. I will charge my walkie talkies with it though...

I've found this vendor to be nice to deal with for inverters:
https://www.donrowe.com/
I've got a Samlex PST series pure-sine inverter and have been happy with it both connected to my Jeep and in our camper. Low standby current draw and very low output distortion. That said, there are a number of very well reviewed inverter brands. Amazon is a nice place to get some real world reviews and price comparisons.

LF

Reactions: J0E

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
We recently had an extended power outage and would have loved to tap into the giant battery in the 4xe. For future outages I'm thinking of purchasing an inverter (something like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/750-w...-modified-sine-wave-power-inverter-56425.html). Would this work to power a home fridge and/or central gas furnace? I imagine 15 kwh would run these items for a couple days.
I use a cheapo harbor freight 1500 watt inverter for exactly this. I plug in my fridge, gas furnace, and gas power vent water heater.

I used to use it with my gas pickup truck.

I would just plug everything in for an hour, let my fridge and house get to target temp, repeat every few hours. Yeah with 4xe could just leave them on.

I would go bigger on the inverter for the 4xe since it is so well suited for this. It’s something you will have for a long time and will be useful for your next vehicle.
Sponsored