insurancepro

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Power Heated Mirrors Melting - 2018 Jeep JL

I noticed today the plastic on the driver side mirror is melting. This is a brand new Wrangler JL and recently I was using the defrost and so I'm sure they were engaged. Anyone else having this issue? Just wondering if I'm going to have any issues with Jeep on this defective part.
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any pictures of it?

OP
OP

insurancepro

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I took this pic in dark. But you can see damage it's causing plastic.

IMG_5456.jpg

Sponsored

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
It looks cracked also. Maybe it was damaged before you took delivery...and poorly fixed by melting. Maybe it just took this long for you to notice?

Just take it in and get a new mirror under warranty maybe.

Screenshot_20190316-032506_Chrome.jpg

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
You better get that to the dealer ASAP. I'm no mechanic, but that could be an underlying problem. I'm not even going to write what I'm thinking. Jinx it. Please keep us up to date. Good luck:like:

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
That amount of melting/bubbling of plastic would suggest high heat inside the plastic housing, perhaps from sort of electrical malfunction. I would cease using the window/mirror defroster and adjusting the mirror--under any circumstances. Better still, as a safety precaution that I would do immediately, it might be a good idea to unplug the electrical connector to the door, the one that unplugs for door removal. That way the mirror assembly is no longer electrified. And yes, you should get that to your dealer asap. Like today, if they are open today.

OP
OP

insurancepro

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
It looks cracked also. Maybe it was damaged before you took delivery...and poorly fixed by melting. Maybe it just took this long for you to notice?

Just take it in and get a new mirror under warranty maybe.

Screenshot_20190316-032506_Chrome.jpg
I don't see any signs of a crack. I'm confident this is recent.

OP
OP

insurancepro

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
That amount of melting/bubbling of plastic would suggest high heat inside the plastic housing, perhaps from sort of electrical malfunction. I would cease using the window/mirror defroster and adjusting the mirror--under any circumstances. Better still, as a safety precaution that I would do immediately, it might be a good idea to unplug the electrical connector to the door, the one that unplugs for door removal. That way the mirror assembly is no longer electrified. And yes, you should get that to your dealer asap. Like today, if they are open today.
I was talking to my wife about this today as it's her primary vehicle and she said, "ya know I remember driving last week and I smelt something burning." Last week it was cold here and I know those defrosters came on. It has to be from within that mirror. Funny thing is the auto/stop/start is acting up and check engine light came on so I already had an appt Tuesday to get it into dealership. I guess I can add this to the list. I was thinking of running out a buying the gladiator day 1, but I think I'll wait a couple years now. Plus I really think I'd rather have the diesel powertrain.

Sponsored

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Fiat, folks. As much as we love our Jeeps, these things were already pretty poorly built under Chrysler, and Fiat had taken things to another level. For those who took a chance with the 2.0.... god help you. The 3.6 is basically a Mercedes engine, and you chose a Fiat motor. Queue “Living on the Edge” by Aerosmith!

Kidding! Sort of...

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Could very well be an electrical short in the mirror. A few years ago they released a recall on some JK models because of the mirrors shorting and causing a fire

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Looks like you had an electrical fire that smoldered for a bit and then died out. You may want to see the dealer ASAP.

What issues are you having with the ESS? Wiring to the doors has been known to cause issues.