Power / Charge Gauge Calibration Issue?

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Observed an interesting issue with the instrument cluster: the digital center Power/Charge gauge does not mirror the analog right side Power/Charge gauge. Per the 4xe manual supplement, the explanation for the digital center Power/Charge gauge (located under Hybrid Info) refers to the analog one, implying they should display the same information. If so, this would indicate that either one of the two gauges, or both, are off calibration.

In the photo below, I am maintaining constant throttle and speed. The center digital gauge registers slightly over 50%. The analog gauge registers under 25%. That’s off by over a factor of two! (Please excuse the poor image quality. Left hand was firmly on the wheel, and I had to take the photo with the right hand singlehandedly. Phones are big these days! This was not easy.)

Jeep Wrangler JL Power / Charge Gauge Calibration Issue? 32607E5B-70A8-4504-BD15-CD82956E896D
Sponsored

Last edited:

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
I think the gauge in the center display in your photo shows the outer ring for electric power with the inner ring for engine power. Looks you are about half way on electric but zero with engine.

The gauge to the right with the needle is electric and engine combined.

OP
OP
sentience

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
That’s… not what the manual says. The manual for the digital Power/Charge panel literally refers users to the same page as the analog one.

DiscoJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 4xe
As far as I've noticed, the analog gauge is TOTAL combined power output of the whole powertrain.
The center gauge shows exactly what engine and electric motor are doing separately.

Sad to say, but some information on the 4xe supplemental manual isn't always accurate.

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
That’s… not what the manual says. The manual for the digital Power/Charge panel literally refers users to the same page as the analog one.
The manual also refers to an inner and outer ring for the ANALOG display -- but there is no such thing:

Power/Charge Gauge
 This gauge represents the source of the power utilized to accelerate the vehicle. The green outer ring represents the High Voltage (HV) battery output during accelera- tion, and input power during regeneration. The yellow inner ring represents the engine output power.

So take it with a grain of salt. These manuals are poorly written and edited.

As others have suggested, I suspect the analog display is a combined thing, and the digital display is the correct one. To further support that theory, if you notice, the green segment extends from 0 to 25% in the analog display, and you're sitting at just over 50% of that green segment -- which just so happens to be how much the digital display is showing you you're using of the HV battery.

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I have speculated it's a combo, but the gauges are hard to keep an eye on. It's not the best IC setup but works for a Jeep.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Better question is, why is your output that high to maintain 30 mph?