Sponsored

Powdercoat rubicon rims before taking delivery?

Niprut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Cruiser, Tundra
My punk’n JLUR will hopefully arrive at the dealer in the next 10 days. It has the stock rubicon rims. I’m fairly certain I have decided to get them powdercoated by the dealer before I pick it up. I’m considering a gunmetal grey or maybe even bronze. I don’t want to do black- I want something that stands out a bit. Do y’all think bronze would look good with the orange? I’ve been looking through the picture threads here and haven’t seen exactly what I’m looking for yet.
Sponsored

Cdnjeep

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Don’t. Dealer would probably charge you an arm and a leg and most people would just switch out their rims to a different brand anyways. Just plasidip it if you’re staying stock rims and save your money for other upgrades :).

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Also be careful powder coating the stock rubi wheels. I have heard of folks having issues after the heat exposure.

InvictusManeo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
I would worry about the heat affecting the integrity of the wheel as well. I have a Punk’n too and looked into this because I thought it would look awesome if the silver parts were painted Punk’n. Didn’t do it for above reason.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I would just purchase new, better wheels.

Sponsored

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
I would just purchase new, better wheels.
Great idea, but there is problem finding wheels with the same offset so they don't stick out of the fenders. I went to purchase Moto Metal 970 all blk wheel they have a 40 offset not quite the 44 but close enough they will fit the rear not the frt do to the 44 axle hub zero offset will fit but you'll have 1.73 outside the fender throwing trash all over the sides. For the time being I'm staying with the std wheel but I did change the tires too KM3's which look more aggressive especially for JLUR !

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

My punk’n JLUR will hopefully arrive at the dealer in the next 10 days. It has the stock rubicon rims. I’m fairly certain I have decided to get them powdercoated by the dealer before I pick it up. I’m considering a gunmetal grey or maybe even bronze. I don’t want to do black- I want something that stands out a bit. Do y’all think bronze would look good with the orange? I’ve been looking through the picture threads here and haven’t seen exactly what I’m looking for yet.
i think ive seen someone post up pics of a Punkin with bronze wheels. keep in mind, bronze comes in many different shades where it can look like totally different colors. from greenish to brownish etc.. so unless YOU pick out the bronze you want, you may not be happy with the results. also, for what the dealer will likely charge you, you'd probably be better off buying some aftermarket wheels that are already bronze or having a set bronzed. then YOU can go to the local powder coating shop and go through multiple color sample books to find what you like. i can easily see a dealer charging $1k or more to do this. use that $1k to buy a new set of wheels. like method or whatever. then sell your stockers. heck you can even get bronze wheels for cheap from quadratec. they have multiple styles in bronze available. just my 2 cents.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

you can also buy some stock rubi wheels for pretty cheap and take them to be powder coated and still have your stocks to resell or keep and still probably spend less $ than what the dealer will charge you.

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
on my punkn I went with black and machined. 17x9+12 offset so they don’t stick out as much. The stock rubicon wheels are nice, but you could probably get new wheels for the cost of powder coating and then stick out from the stock Jeep crowd. Mine were just over $500 for all 5 wheels from discount tire on one of their holiday sales (rebates).

70429CA7-1F95-4150-8DF8-0E7B3F22F8AD.jpeg

A0F74579-4484-46B2-90B7-5EA1398ACB6A.jpeg

EB7B3BE5-2AA5-4FF9-B368-F9BF87785709.jpeg

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
If you are planning on getting 35's or larger tires, i would suggest just buying wider black wheels. The factory wheels are only 7.5" wide.
Sponsored