First Name
Quen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Looking for anyone with experience in powder coating the JLU Rubicon wheels? I would like to powder coat them red/black but have heard it could distort them. Is this true? Is it safer to just have them painted?

Does anyone know the benefits to powder coating vs painting? I fully understand the powder coating process but if they’re similar in price and both last as long, I’m confused on which one is “better”!
Sponsored

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Both Rubi wheels and AEV wheels are aluminum. Here’s a cautionary note from AEV’s website:

POWDER COATING WARNING:
As a general safety precaution, AEV does not recommend powder coating aluminum wheels. The heat range and duration of the powder coating process may overlap the heat treating and aging of cast or forged aluminum wheels. For this reason, powder coated wheels will not be covered under AEV’s lifetime structural warranty. All repairs and/or color changes should utilize automotive type liquid paint.

OP
OP
Q’s JLUR

Q’s JLUR

First Name
Quen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Both Rubi wheels and AEV wheels are aluminum. Here’s a cautionary note from AEV’s website:

POWDER COATING WARNING:
As a general safety precaution, AEV does not recommend powder coating aluminum wheels. The heat range and duration of the powder coating process may overlap the heat treating and aging of cast or forged aluminum wheels. For this reason, powder coated wheels will not be covered under AEV’s lifetime structural warranty. All repairs and/or color changes should utilize automotive type liquid paint.
Thanks for the note. I’m an Engineer so I totally understand the heat variable changing structural integrity of aluminum forged wheels. Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored