Powder Coating Questions

Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
I'd really like to color match wheels to a Sarge Green Jeep. (Still haggling with wife over JL or JT) So far, I'm leaning toward the KMC Roswell or another aluminum alloy "smoothie" like wheel. (Fifteen52 Analog or Black Rhino Solid) I know what powder coating is, but I have some questions about the process. I saw a thread on the JT forum where a guy had his Fifteen52 Analogs powder coated to match his Gator JT and it looked great.

1. Do the wheels need to be sandblasted to remove the factory coating before powder coating?

2. What gloss should I get on the wheel?

3. How much would it cost to have 5 wheels powder coated.

TIA for the replies.
Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I'd really like to color match wheels to a Sarge Green Jeep. (Still haggling with wife over JL or JT) So far, I'm leaning toward the KMC Roswell or another aluminum alloy "smoothie" like wheel. (Fifteen52 Analog or Black Rhino Solid) I know what powder coating is, but I have some questions about the process. I saw a thread on the JT forum where a guy had his Fifteen52 Analogs powder coated to match his Gator JT and it looked great.

1. Do the wheels need to be sandblasted to remove the factory coating before powder coating?

2. What gloss should I get on the wheel?

3. How much would it cost to have 5 wheels powder coated.

TIA for the replies.
Usually places that powder coat (that are worth their salt) offer sandblasting. It’s highly recommended to sandblast before powder coating.
It’s all usually cheap. I went with a satin black for something before and it was a lot glossy than I thought it’d be, but that could vary depending on what your place uses. Powder coating is definitely the way to go!

Last edited:

CJACKZ

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2003 Expedition, 2003 C230 kompressor
Occupation
Making Trash
Second on sandblasting. Used to have a kit to repairs parts from my FJ55. Cannot speak to powder coating wheels but would be interested to see how your wheels turn out.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve never done wheels, but I pay about $125 a piece when doing sliders ($250 for both sides of Jeep), body armor, a bumper, etc. This is sandblast, zinc rich coat, and top coat and includes the tax.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
When I was shopping wheels, I remember AEV does not recommend powder coating aluminum wheels and doesn't do their wheels. Something about the 350* powder coating process not being good. I was glad because I've never had powder coating that didn't crack and let corrosion form under coating and bubble and peel of after a few years.

Sponsored

relayer4u

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I had my wheels powder coated recently by a respected local shop and it cost me $380 for 4 wheels out the door. That included stripping, base coat + clear coat.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Paid around 100 per wheel to powder coat them gloss black.
Don't know about the prep work.
Jeep Wrangler JL Powder Coating Questions IMG_0799
Jeep Wrangler JL Powder Coating Questions IMG_0806
Jeep Wrangler JL Powder Coating Questions IMG_0811
Jeep Wrangler JL Powder Coating Questions IMG_0813
Jeep Wrangler JL Powder Coating Questions IMG_0814
Jeep Wrangler JL Powder Coating Questions IMG_0816
Jeep Wrangler JL Powder Coating Questions IMG_0830
Sponsored