Powder coat or spray paint steel bumper

JL_Krawler

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hey guys, just got a new rear bumper and it came in raw steel. Debating if I should spray paint or powder coat it.
What have you guys done with your aftermarket bumpers ?
Sponsored

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Just Raptor Liner’d mine. Came out great. Used a self etching primer then a “bed liner” spray can for hard to reach areas then went to town with the RL.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Powder coat if you don't plan to scratch it. Paint if you plan to scratch it. Powder coat if you're stupid and plan to scratch it.

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Just Raptor Liner’d mine. Came out great. Used a self etching primer then a “bed liner” spray can for hard to reach areas then went to town with the RL.
This is a great option, too. Self etching primer for the win, I keep a can on hand at all times.

Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
I'd use something like the Rustoleum bedliner spray. It'll look good and be easy to repair any scratches and have everything still match with no obvious repair area.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
I'd use something like the Rustoleum bedliner spray. It'll look good and be easy to repair any scratches and have everything still match with no obvious repair area.
I used it for my hard to reach places. I wouldn’t use it as my final visible surface unless you’re a master spray can painter or don’t care what your bumper looks like. I wanted mine to be aesthetically pleasing.

F27F389F-D5CB-485A-A139-3C64154CA97A.jpeg

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I've scratched up my alum. bumpers :like: frt. is P.C and rear painted. I like the patina but the P.C.'d will be the problem.

OP
OP
JL_Krawler

JL_Krawler

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I paint it I would go with the Self etching primer and the rustoleum spray paint semi gloss Black for the finish.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Have it mediablasted first whichever way you go. It will make the powder/paint stick better.

vht wrinkle black matches very well to wrinkle black powdercoating. Great for touch ups. It doesnt have a smooth surface so its very easy to blend in.

Sponsored

Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
On my JK I had ordered bare metal Poison Spider Crusher fender flares. I thought I would just save a buck and rattle can them myself. I had great weather, made a custom wooden hanging rack for painting. I started with a full cleaning with micro-fiber towels and a rub down with isopropyl alcohol followed by 3 coats of self-etching primer followed by 3 coats of flat enamel black paint. Then I added 2 coats of spray bed liner. I gave every coating plenty of time in-between sprays... over days. Once everything was done, I let them hang for another 4 or 5 days to fully cure and dry before installation.

After installation, I went on a camping/off road trip and had nicks down to bare metal from fire road, pebbles etc.

Just powder coat.

OP
OP
JL_Krawler

JL_Krawler

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my JK I had ordered bare metal Poison Spider Crusher fender flares. I thought I would just save a buck and rattle can them myself. I had great weather, made a custom wooden hanging rack for painting. I started with a full cleaning with micro-fiber towels and a rub down with isopropyl alcohol followed by 3 coats of self-etching primer followed by 3 coats of flat enamel black paint. Then I added 2 coats of spray bed liner. I gave every coating plenty of time in-between sprays... over days. Once everything was done, I let them hang for another 4 or 5 days to fully cure and dry before installation.

After installation, I went on a camping/off road trip and had nicks down to bare metal from fire road, pebbles etc.

Just powder coat.
Damn that sucks! I think I may go powder coat

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
I don't know why people think powdercoat is the cats meow. Everything I have had that was powder coated chips and rust. I had one set of bumpers start rusting through the powder coat. They paid for me to have them redone locally. The powder coater told me if theses are for show then go for it, but If they were going to be used then they would chip and rust. This is no fly by night guy either. He does monstertrucks race car frames. and coating for fortune 500 companies. Long story short. Had them coated and they were rusting by the next spring. I ended up having another guy I know paint them with industrial enamel. Same type of paint heavy equipment mfg use. You can touch up the scrapes, and they looked virtually new 5 years later.

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I went a different route, sorta best of both worlds. I used a Por 15 kit on my Barnes bumper. It comes with a degreaser, metal etcher and the final Por 15 coat. I’ve used this as a base on subframes on my Mini, too, and it’s tough as nails. After it dried, I used Rustoleum bed liner to complete the finish/look. As someone else said, it has a rough surface, so it’s really easy to get it looking good.

I’ve run this for almost two years. It’s been through two AK winters at -50, snow, ice and road grit, and the bumper still looks great. Use a scrub brush during a wash to clean it. Bonus, if I ever need a touch up, it’s a rattle can away.

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I went with self-etching primer and the Rustoleum "Hammertone" paint. Its cheap, easy, and quick plus if/when I ding it up, its really easy to fix it up so its like new!
Sponsored