Sponsored

Potential New owner question on Wrangler highway ability.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Like a lot of people, we've been looking a new Wranglers. Wow.... what a crazy market we are in. My question stems from the intended use of the purchase. We are looking at the sky one touch roof as a must have. Other than that, we are open.
My question is this. We would be potentially using this Wrangler Unlimited for 4-6k miles of vacation highway use a year. I have two boys 8 and 11. How highway capable is the Wrangler now days? I'm assuming a Sport or Sahara are the two more road friendly models. Any advise is welcome.
Without reading all the responses here, I can tell you any of the Wranglers are comfortable. Even the Rubicon. But you may find the steering wanders a bit, a combination of solid axles and Chinese steering boxes. It won't be like a car. But cars don't have the fun factor of the Jeep either.
The pros far outweigh the cons.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hinckle21901

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92YJ, 93YJ, 06TJ, 21JL
Occupation
HVAC Service Technician
I have owned Jeeps my entire life. 2 YJ's, 1 TJ, and now a 2021 2 door Willy's Of course all my others were wheeled, beat up, Modified, etc. The JL is still impressing me and it's the rougher riding Willy's version. Took a trip to Norfolk VA from MD. It drove really well. It's still a solid axle vehicle with a tight turning radius so keep that in consideration. I look at it like this. Vacations are fun! Jeeps make the drive to them fun also! Throw back the sunrider or strip it down and make the drive fun. It's a quarter of the vacation sometimes. Got 21 mpg in a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a cow.

ELJeffe77

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0 Turbo, Delivered on 08/30/2021
Occupation
Affiliate Marketer & Search Engine Optimization Consultant
I picked up my Rubicon on Monday, I came from an Audi Q5 so i was VERY nervous about how it rides on the highway.

Don't be concerned, it rides great, and I could def see myself driving long distances with it with no problem.

Yeah it's a bit floaty, but nowhere bad as I imagined. I can drive it at 75-80 with one hand, no problem!

I now get the "it's a jeep thing", and I now fully understand "smiles per gallon" - call me cheesy, but it's true! :)

Last edited:

DB2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sahara Altitude, 12 VW Beetle, 08 Honda Fit
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Security & Architecture
We rented a 2020 JLU Sport hardtop in July…put 700 miles on it in less than a week with hundreds of highway miles. Found it more comfortable ride than our CRV.

Even more fun running up & down the A1A w/freedom panels & doors off. Came home and ordered our own a week later!!! Go for it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Racer X

Racer X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aspiring Jeep owner
Thank you all for the amazing input! I can tell you that you have all eased my worries. We are not coming into this Jeep ownership without knowing the compromises. Ive decided to look for a new stock UHA with the SOTR. The engine choice is now interesting. As much as I would love stepping up to the 392 Rubicon (I am a motor head.... have a Corvette track car and other performance cars) I realize it is overkill for our intended use. We will see if there are any dealers will to give me a straight deal. As of now two deals fell through with their bait and switch on prices.... literally added on market availability charges after we talk numbers on the phone first.
If any of you can point me to a straight dealing dealership near FL... lmk

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
I Love my Jeep. Its a Rubicon with 35s. But I don't like driving it further than an hour.
Friend has a Sahara; Brother-in-Law has a Gladiator. Sahara much smoother, and the gladiator drives like a Cadillac compared to my Jeep.

Bigdagdaman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have a Rubicon with the one touch. With the stock BFG wheels, 2" lift (Dynatrac) I was able to drive the highway with one hand on the wheel at 80mph comfortably. A few thoughts
1) The lift is not critical but the improved shocks make the ride so much smoother.
2) I now have 35's and the ride has more vibration than stock.
3) heavy side winds make it difficult to drive.
4) Road noise has never been an issue, even with the roof open.
No regrets and I'm glad I have the one touch option. It's wife friendly. Good luck

Sponsored

BillB

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep HellaYella Sahara. 3.6L 8-Speed.
Thanks... exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. Do your kids find the rear seat a bit to upright? I noticed during my test drives that the back seats seem very upright.
No question, the back seat is pretty upright. Thankfully, there's a kit available to tilt the rear seats back a bit and it's a pretty easy install. Worth doing if you'll have the kids in the rear seat often.

FWIW, I took my '18 Sahara on a 2,300-mile road trip this summer and it was a great drive. Good luck whatever you do.

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

Is it as comfortable on a freeway as my JGC? Or even my Fiesta dinky car? Well, no. But it is perfectly fine for road trips. And in fact, the large volume under the rear seat works as great storage for kids' stuff.

BeachNJeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi 4xe, 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Occupation
Sub-acute hospital administrator
I have a '18 JLU Sport S with a soft top, 35's and 3.5" lift. It's my daily and my family and I (we have 4 kids, but the step daughter is usually with her dad) go on many road trips to Ensenada, Laughlin, Vegas, San Francisco, Parker... well you get the picture. My 3 kids ride in car seats 3 across, yes, if you get the right ones, they'll fit but it's tight. The soft top lets a lot of noise in, but with the iPads connected to the sound system and the kids watching their videos, the noise really isn't that bad. I run Nitto Ridge Grapplers. It's a hybrid tire that doesn't have the typical drone of a MT, but it's more aggressive than an AT. It's pretty quiet, even with the doors and roof off.

As others have said, this isn't a plush ride or unibody SUV. But it's one helluva ride, be it going to work or going to the Baja 1000. Prior to my JL, I had a 2016 JK Sahara with the Goodyear Wrangler AT's and that was mostly a street tire. Compared to that '16, the '18 and newer JL's ride like a Lexus. There are concessions you make for getting a rig that is as capable as the JL off road, like on road ride quality. But does it suck? No. Does it get boring? Heck no! Is it the best daily driver? For anyone who wants to make his/her daily drive an adventure, it's the best daily driver around.

From April to October, the doors are off and sure, my hair is a little messier, my hearing a little worse, and the dust a little dustier... but for my drive to and from work, or dropping off and picking up the kids at school, it beats any SUV... period.

Helikenny

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I’m 6 weeks into my new Rubicon 4xe with close to to 5,000 kms on it now with over half of those hiway and Mountain. Thing rides like a Cadillac compared to my previous 2dr 75th anniversary. I’m super impressed with its hiway manners, all on BFG 35’s and 2” factory lift. Gets 23-24 mpg with the 2.0 turbo. @ 70mph The Alpine stereo is a real kicker!
Jeep Wrangler JL Potential New owner question on Wrangler highway ability. E32E565F-7A3F-4AC5-B06F-962C55DC61C5

nashsnazzy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
My 2021 2 door Rubicon is very civilized on the hwy, even more so than the 2 door 2020 Sport I traded in. I think any modern Jeep should be just fine, especially the longer wheel base 4 doors. Also, since highway is important to you, the 4 banger turbo with auto tranny was easier to pass at speed than the V6 with the manual I have in my Rubi, but I wouldn't trade the manual tranny for anything.
Sponsored