Sponsored

Potential new JL owner with steering question

prh289

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback
Hi everyone,

I used to 4-wheel every weekend when I was a kid in high school– I couldn't get enough of it. Fast forward 30 years– my fiance and I rented a Jeep in Moab last year– it was awesome! I had forgotten how much joy it brought me and have been thinking about getting a Jeep ever since. I thought I had decided on a 2019 Sahara with Selec-Trac. Before I buy/lease anything I always do a bunch of research prior and I found the steering issue problem with some models. I really, really want a Jeep but am leary of the steering problem/death wobble/drifting on the highway issues.

Here's my question: Is there a simple way to know if the Jeep that I'm looking at is one that has been built with the improved steering parts? I read on this forum that it is a good possibility that the 2020 models will be fixed with the updated parts but was hoping to not wait that long.

Any thoughts are very welcome :)
Sponsored

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
Hi everyone,

I used to 4-wheel every weekend when I was a kid in high school– I couldn't get enough of it. Fast forward 30 years– my fiance and I rented a Jeep in Moab last year– it was awesome! I had forgotten how much joy it brought me and have been thinking about getting a Jeep ever since. I thought I had decided on a 2019 Sahara with Selec-Trac. Before I buy/lease anything I always do a bunch of research prior and I found the steering issue problem with some models. I really, really want a Jeep but am leary of the steering problem/death wobble/drifting on the highway issues.

Here's my question: Is there a simple way to know if the Jeep that I'm looking at is one that has been built with the improved steering parts? I read on this forum that it is a good possibility that the 2020 models will be fixed with the updated parts but was hoping to not wait that long.

This forum is amazing, it’s like a genie...you click the search tab and type in your keywords...bam!! So many threads on this...

2018/19 have the same steering parts. Not all 2018/19’s are affected with the 4 or 5 main steering complaints. Test drive one, check tire pressures...buy.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Hi everyone,

There will be a formal recall campaign if the regional rep I talked with was correct; so perhaps 2020's will be "good from the factory" if the new updated parts come along soon; and if not 2021's.... nothing happens quickly with FCA involved.

I'd test drive the one you will buy to see if it's got issues. If it does make it a pre-purchase condition they sort it out before you take delivery. Then enjoy.....

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
any steering issues will be most prevalent at highway speeds, 55 mph and up. find a straight and flat highway and take it for a long test drive. think of the wandering as either (a) random change in direction without touching the steering wheel or (b) constant left and right seesaw motion while you manipulate the steering wheel to keep it centered in the lane. take note of a dead zone (play) in the steering wheel while pointed straight (more than 1" play will be annoying). make sure you lower tire pressure to < 35 lbs when you do this.
keep in mind that life is short, this too is an important consideration... even with the crappy steering (which I have adjusted to), I wish I bought one of these a long time ago.

Last edited:

Sponsored

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Flight Communications for Medical Helicopter
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone,

I have a 2018 Sahara JL with 25,000 miles now. NEVER had any issues with mine in stock trim, after a 2.5" Sky Jacker lift or with my current 3.5 Rock Krawler lift. Test drive and keep an open mind. They are not sport cars with super tight rack an pinon steering. My wife drives mine and barley noticed any difference until she started ready some negative post.

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
I bought my JL last year, prior to the purchase I researched the JL but didn’t read forum posts. I wanted to make my own opinion reference the overall performance. So far I’m 10,000 miles in and have had no issues.

At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself if the JEEP is right for you. Don’t buy it expecting it to be something it’s not, or to perform like someone else’s Jeep. Keep away from subjective posts, otherwise you’ll never be happy with it.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hi everyone,

Be sure to test drive it on a highway at 60+ MPH for a while before you sign anything.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ring-is-good-tight-no-wander-no-wobble.21691/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2019-steering-problems-metoo.22442/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...g-on-2019-jl-steering-issues-with-poll.20105/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2019-steering.19015/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...no-wander-no-wobble.21691/page-17#post-747360

Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 3.08.17 PM.png

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
any steering issues will be most prevalent at highway speeds, 55 mph and up. find a straight and flat highway and take it for a long test drive. think of the wandering as either (a) random change in direction without touching the steering wheel or (b) constant left and right seesaw motion while you manipulate the steering wheel to keep it centered in the lane. take note of a dead zone (play) in the steering wheel while pointed straight (more than 1" play will be annoying). make sure you lower tire pressure to < 35 lbs when you do this.
keep in mind that life is short, this too is an important consideration... even with the crappy steering (which I have adjusted to), I wish I bought one of these a long time ago.

Amen!

Sponsored

OP
OP
prh289

prh289

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback
Thank you all for taking the time to respond to me. Super great advice on each reply. I have driven several models but not extensively on a highway at 55+ speeds so that's my next step. I must have caught the Jeep bug though as getting one of these is all that I think of nowadays :)

mike2019

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue Metallic
Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

Just got my 2019 JLUR and no issues except a little wander but most jeeps I have driven have this. Would love it tighter of there is an option. I think those issues were all corrected as I test drove a sahara and a Rubicon before I decided to build mine and neither had wobble.

Milk Money

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S (previously 2008 JKU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sport)
Occupation
Engineer at GM
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you all for taking the time to respond to me. Super great advice on each reply. I have driven several models but not extensively on a highway at 55+ speeds so that's my next step. I must have caught the Jeep bug though as getting one of these is all that I think of nowadays :)
Make sure you drive the Jeep you intend to purchase at highway speeds BEFORE you sign the paperwork...

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Want to purchase a 2020 two door wrangler sport S. Was hoping the steering and welding issues wouldn’t carry over but people are complaining about steering issues with the 2020s. I live in the city so I’m rarely driving down open roads and the steering seems so dangerous on a busy highway. You would think with the 2018 recall they would have taken this seriously enough but guess not. I’m so disappointed. Did you ever get a 2020 Jeep?

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I just traded out of my Sahara into a Ram. And yes I am still following this thread because it simply is astonishing at how FCA is handling the issue.

And yes the Ram drives like the best dream you have ever had.

So here is some extremely valuable advise. You really need to go rent a JL. Driving in the city is not going to show you the steering issues. It is on the highway and with roads with some good crowns on them.

In general the JL and the Gladiator have more loose steering than any other FCA product out there. They steer like shit. I don't care what the stats show and what the others say that their JL's drive perfect. They just got use to it.

The biggest issues with the 18's and 19's is you had bad trackbar bushings, bad drag links, crappy steering stabilizers and JL's coming out of the factory with very loose steering components. Ball joint nuts and ect.

I was chatting with a rep from a rental car agency who saw one of my YouTube videos online and he said they get so many complaints on the steering on the JL.

Test Drive Test Drive Test Drive.

Rent one for a weekend to get use to the JL steering then when you find the one you want, You can take it on an extended test drive and then you will know what to look for. And be sure to take it on the highway.

And Good Luck!!! Overall the JL is a very nice Jeep and a wonderful refinement to the JK. They just completed F'd up the steering on them.
Sponsored