Sponsored

Potential new gun owner: what is recommended revolver calibre for a newbie?

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
A 4” 686+ would be a great compromise between size, sight radius, and capacity. My first revolver was a 66-1. Fantastic shooter. With softball loads it has very little recoil. The 686+ being heavier would have even less.

As I became more advanced, and got into reloading, .45 colt became my personal favorite. Such a vastly versatile cartridge in the right gun. From near recoiless 200gr at 600fps cowboy loads, to “tier II” loads that mimic .357 energy, to full house “tier III” loads that are the equivalent to .44 magnum at 240gr at 1400fps......and if you have the revolver for it .454 casull. Which is the magnumized .45 colt at 240gr at 1900fps. From a recoiless paper puncher to grizzly bear medicine, with the ability to shoot at carbine distances (up to 200-250 yards).

I started with the little .357 model 66-1, and graduated to the versatile monster that is the Ruger Toklat.

BJ7F0cll.jpg

The Smith & Wesson is forged, and more finished than the stronger cast Ruger GP100. Both in the same price point. The Taurus Tracker/ model 66 is a budget alternative, but without the fit and finish of the previous two. I picked up a 7 shot 4” Taurus Model 66 (a 686+ rip off) for about $300 used. Great shooter for a budget gun, but who’s action isn’t nearly as smooth or refined as the Smith or Ruger.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I really like them, enough that I don't really look at other brands. I've got a couple in different barrel lengths. Ruger is my go-to. I say it as if there is only one answer, and there is for me, but I realize some people may also like the S&W, etc.
I like Ruger revolvers. I have owned a Super Blackhawk in 44 mag with the 10in barrel, a Super Redhawk in 41 mag with a Leupold scope and a pair of Ruger Vaquero in 45 long colt. All were good shooters, Yet my 686 withe the 8 3/8 heavy barrel was my favorite.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
I carry a Ruger LCR 357 loaded with .38 special. Shooting 357 out of it is not fun, but I’ll do it at the range from time to time. Good gun for home defense, out on a trail, or even conceal carry as it’s small and lightweight.

Sponsored

auxSwitch

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubi, FZ6
Vehicle Showcase
tl/dr I'd go with a good quality/good value mid-size .22lr (S&W, Ruger) and spend the rest of money on ammo and training. If you really really just not feeling the .22, it's a .357 revolver from the same manufacturers because you can run .38 special, and again - training and practice (ammo)

The best advice I ever got when I started was to start small. So, based on the info so far, I'd recommend .22 first. Here are the reasons:
- it's light, has no recoil, so you can learn how to shoot easier
- inexpensive to run, so you'll shoot more , and will have more $$ for training
- get a mid-size so you learn on a comfortable platform

responses to potential counter-arguments:
- "too weak" - not for target shooting. for self-defense? perhaps, although a well placed .22 out of a trained hand will do more damage than a .357 that missed because you didn't get enough training and practice. Again, it sounds your first goal is to train/learn (which is great, btw). All firearms are deadly - there is an idea out there that somehow some firearms are safer (less assaulty) than others. Anyone who believes that is welcome to go down range and hold the target while I'm working it out of a bolt-action .22 walnut-stocked rifle
- "you need practical caliber" - no one-size-fits-all caliber outthere. Right now your goal is to train. I'll venture a guess that this isn't your last gun - after you get this and get some time on it, you'll be getting ADDITIONAL guns.

I started with a semi-auto .22 walther, and I still gladly shoot that .22. I have [lost in an unfortunate boat accident] firearms, and I shoot my .22s as often as other calibers. In fact, S&W 617 is on my shopping list for when i have the budget.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
@auxSwitch is giving some good advice here. I think a Ruger SP101 is the final answer, but getting there should probably include an easy-shooting caliber like the .22LR.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Commando, JT , JL, M422
I got my spouse a 9mm- she didn't like the recoil - got her a .380- again didn't like it - got her a .22 - good to go with 14 rounds in the magazine. Mine is a .45 - don't need 14.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got my spouse a 9mm- she didn't like the recoil - got her a .380- again didn't like it - got her a .22 - good to go with 14 rounds in the magazine. Mine is a .45 - don't need 14.
But why not have 16 if you could?

I got one of these in on a trade, and was blown away by it. Softest shooting .45 I own, and 15+1. It’s dangerous to shoot though. As soft and as fast shooting as this thing is, I wind up ripping through .45 like it’s .22.

[
Jeep Wrangler JL Potential new gun owner: what is recommended revolver calibre for a newbie? 1634836491424

Sponsored

Blazing Saddles

First Name
Not Sure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jeep
Occupation
Staring at this forum
I have quite a few calibers, but not a revolver. That being said, my favorite to shoot for fun, and the one that most people I am teaching to shoot prefer, is a .22. It's fun, it isn't extremely loud ( assuming you are training outside) and it's cheap.

Shiner

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Now this is a thread I can get behind.

To the OP... my canned response to this question when I see it is always, whatever caliber you're most comfortable with and willing to train with. The most important part of gun ownership outside of safety, is training and proficiency. It won't matter what caliber you choose if you don't hone your skills at the range.

That answer aside, I'm more a semi-auto guy and less a wheel gun guy... but if you're set on revolver, then I'd cast my vote with others on the 686 in .357. A tried and true, robust gun with a long track record. And as mentioned, when all else fails... you can beat the bad guy to death with it. The .357 allows for training with cheaper, less potent .38 rounds while still giving you the option to carry the .357 round when desired.

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
1.5 years after applying, the state of NY Granted me a handgun license. Before this I had never really fired a gun. I am into revolvers and therefore interested in getting one. What is a good calibre for someone like me? I think a .22 is too weak and the .500 Magnum interests me esp due to its sound. But I am probably too much of a rookie to handle a .500 IMHO and may struggle with recoil. What would someone experienced with revolvers therefore recommend for someone like me who will like one primarily for hobby/shooting range?
You shooting bear? Back way down the food chain, BB's, pellets....Seriously, the first lesson about weapons is safety...Take a classs, get some experience, ask the people teaching, can probably help with pricing to boot showing a passed class, etc....wow
Sponsored