Sponsored

Potential new gun owner: what is recommended revolver calibre for a newbie?

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
1.5 years after applying, the state of NY Granted me a handgun license. Before this I had never really fired a gun. I am into revolvers and therefore interested in getting one. What is a good calibre for someone like me? I think a .22 is too weak and the .500 Magnum interests me esp due to its sound. But I am probably too much of a rookie to handle a .500 IMHO and may struggle with recoil. What would someone experienced with revolvers therefore recommend for someone like me who will like one primarily for hobby/shooting range?
Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Yeah, the .500 is a bit of overkill.

A .357 magnum is a good all around gun. You can shoot both .38 special and .357 magnum. So that makes range time a bit less expensive.

Several different makes available out there. Some brands make versions that can handle stronger loads when you want to have extra fun.

RamMan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Dsl. / '16 Ram PW / '14 GC Dsl.
Occupation
Transport / Odd Jobs
1.5 years after applying, the state of NY Granted me a handgun license. Before this I had never really fired a gun. I am into revolvers and therefore interested in getting one. What is a good calibre for someone like me? I think a .22 is too weak and the .500 Magnum interests me esp due to its sound. But I am probably too much of a rookie to handle a .500 IMHO and may struggle with recoil. What would someone experienced with revolvers therefore recommend for someone like me who will like one primarily for hobby/shooting range?
S&W 460 is the best Big Revolver. . You can shoot .45 Colt, .454 Casul, & S&W .460. For Concealed Carry, I like an S&W 342, ,38+P, 12 ounces, concealed hammer. Next up is a S&W 340 Scandium, .357 Magnum, 12 ounces, concealed hammer. They don't make the scandium anymore. Look for the atom symbol on the right side. These are not cheap. In the early 2,000s, they sold for about $750. Accidentally got one the other day off of the Gunbroker.com auction for $719 delivered. Helluva Buy! If you like a hammer, go for the S&W 360, .357 Magnum, scandium. S&W 340 M & P, .357 Magnum are cheaper, 13 ounces (magnetic cylinder weighs 1 ounce more). Put a 3 finger grip, for better control, on these small Smiths; & you have a real Concealed Carry weapon. For holsters, without a pot belly, I like SmartCarry.com. It's a down the front holster. Get the double pocket. It has a long pocket for $$$. Over that the double pocket is one for gun, the other can be used for credit card wallet, extra magazine etc. Gunbroker.com is the best place to buy, or at least observe the current market value of these, or any other gun. Just put the gun on your Watch List, & see what it finally sells for.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Having owned many revolvers over the years, I would say we need a little more information to help you.

What do you plan to use the gun for? This can drastically impact the recommendations on which gun you should be looking at.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Head to the range to rent and shoot what you're interested in.
There is no perfect gun and every gun is loved by some and hated by others. This is a very personal decision.

Sponsored

OP
OP
631_Islander

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having owned many revolvers over the years, I would say we need a little more information to help you.

What do you plan to use the gun for? This can drastically impact the recommendations on which gun you should be looking at.
Looking at something for taking to the shooting range. I am not into hunting.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
While I could make a caliber and configuration recommendation based on my experience it may not be relevant to your particular needs or physical capabilities.

I would suggest, however, that you go to a local indoor range and rent some firearms. Try out some different sizes, calibers and configurations. Most of the indoor range operators are also licensed firearm dealers so you can deal directly with them on a purchase or shop online if you wish.

Consider the following:

1. Seek professional instruction on the practical use and safe operation of firearms.
2. Don't dismiss semi-automatic handguns. As I said, try out some different sizes, calibers and configurations.
3. Rent more than once. Firing a particular firearm once at a range won't tell you everything you need to know.
4. Have fun!

I thoroughly enjoy the sport and engage in it as often as I can. Here are some of my shooting companions:

Jeep Wrangler JL Potential new gun owner: what is recommended revolver calibre for a newbie? SA1911 13

Jeep Wrangler JL Potential new gun owner: what is recommended revolver calibre for a newbie? 23

Jeep Wrangler JL Potential new gun owner: what is recommended revolver calibre for a newbie? SA Trophy 01 b

Jeep Wrangler JL Potential new gun owner: what is recommended revolver calibre for a newbie? 20210103_082341

My point in posting the pics is to show you the diversity available to you.

There are a few more... :)

Last edited:

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
If you're looking for a revolver, get a .357. You can shoot/train all day with 38 rounds and carry the 357.
Jeep Wrangler JL Potential new gun owner: what is recommended revolver calibre for a newbie? 2f9c1168003c9605a66fee22fbab6f12

Edit: Looks like other folks already answered.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
There are many nice revolvers. I am a fan of the S&W 686.

Jeep Wrangler JL Potential new gun owner: what is recommended revolver calibre for a newbie? 1633271671636

The S&W 686

Great target revolver. I had the trigger worked on, and shot flush seated 148 gr target loads. it was a tack driver.

Like this, but I reloaded my own.

Jeep Wrangler JL Potential new gun owner: what is recommended revolver calibre for a newbie? 1633271629381

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
While I could make a caliber and configuration recommendation based on my experience it may not be relevant to your particular needs or physical capabilities.

I would suggest, however, that you go to a local indoor range and rent some firearms. Try out some different sizes, calibers and configurations. Most of the indoor range operators are also licensed firearm dealers so you can also deal directly with them on a purchase or shop online if you wish.

I would suggest you consider the following:

1. Seek professional instruction on the practical use and safe operation of firearms.
2. Don't dismiss semi-automatic handguns. As I said, try out some different sizes, calibers and configurations.
3. Rent more than once. Firing a particular firearm once at a range won't tell you everything you need to know.
4. Have fun!
This is good advice. There are many types of firearms, I always tell people when buying a handgun, buy one that fits your hand well and the sights naturally line up with your eyes when you point it.

These days I would only buy a revolver because I wanted one and the deal is to good to pass up.

Sponsored

GTCS302

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys, 2011 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
Unfortunately, I don't know of any ranges on Long Island that rent handguns. I would suggest that if you have any friends/family with their pistol license, try to schedule a range day and try out what they have.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
The answer to your question is Ruger SP101 with 4.2" barrel, .357.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I really like them, enough that I don't really look at other brands. I've got a couple in different barrel lengths. Ruger is my go-to. I say it as if there is only one answer, and there is for me, but I realize some people may also like the S&W, etc.

OP
OP
631_Islander

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately, I don't know of any ranges on Long Island that rent handguns. I would suggest that if you have any friends/family with their pistol license, try to schedule a range day and try out what they have.
The range in Medford lets you rent....
Sponsored