First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Looking into maybe getting a Wrangler, and I had a few questions. My wife has owned a couple Cherokees and a Liberty, but this would be my first Jeep. I’ve driven TJs and JKs fairly extensively, but all as vacation rentals in various places. Some recent lifestyle changes in terms of drastically reducing my commute means I’m interested in getting something fun, not just something that has to be reliable to get me to/from work economically. I’m not 100% convinced I’d be thrilled with it for the long haul, so I’m thinking of doing a 3 year lease.

So that’s sorta the background. I drove a base Sport last night, and mostly enjoyed it but I wanted a couple thoughts on some things:

-Sitting in the showroom in a Sahara, I noticed the door check strap (think that’s what it was) was kind of curled out into the footwell, and kind of brushed up against my ankle. I didn’t notice this in the Sport I drove. Is this a thing, and is there a way to mitigate it? I think it would annoy the crap out of me.

-Driving it, it was way more refined than I remember, but it did seem to kind of wander back and forth a bit on the road. Felt like maybe the tires were overinflated (I should have checked, but didn’t). I’m used to driving a sedan, so it may just be normal, or it could be the one I drove or the pavement I was on. It wasn’t bad, and I’d probably get used to it, but it was the only thing that felt different than a normal SUV. Any thoughts?

-Finally, I am fairly particular in what I want, and the dealer couldn’t find anything that matched my spec so it would be a custom build, which I’m fine with. Basically, I’d do a red 4dr Sport S, with the 3.6L/8AT, limited slip, Tech, convenience, cold weather, trailer, 2 top, and Alpine. I’d also do the all-weather mats and the soft top window storage bag. I’ve read about the issues with the soft top storage bag and ordering, would that delay my whole build or would they just send it separately? Is there anything else objectionable about the build? I live in the ‘burbs so I don’t need the Rubicon (would love it, but just not worth the extra $$ for me, I don’t plan on extensively modding the Jeep, I know famous last words…) and I don’t think I need to step up to the Sahara because I don’t care about the leather or color matched stuff or the Nav (Apple carplay good enough for me).

Appreciate any thoughts anyone might have on the above.
Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
it would be an order for a 2019, 2018 ordering closed.

Wrangler is a like owning a sports car, you have to adapt to it or mod it up. Typically design choices revolve around whats better offroad and to maintain open air heritage, if those dont match your priority you will probably not be happy.

Subaru Outback or a volvo is often better for families that want a lil trail/snow adventure but need refinement, cargo carrying and commuting as number 1 priority.

OP
OP
S2k Chris

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I'm not an offroad guy, but I'm a huge open-air guy (my other car is an S2000). I commute short distances, so this will be a fun around-town errand runner and something to haul the kids top down when the S can't. My wife has the boring CUV (Acura RDX) for the long distance driving, etc.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Looking into maybe getting a Wrangler, and I had a few questions. My wife has owned a couple Cherokees and a Liberty, but this would be my first Jeep. I’ve driven TJs and JKs fairly extensively, but all as vacation rentals in various places. Some recent lifestyle changes in terms of drastically reducing my commute means I’m interested in getting something fun, not just something that has to be reliable to get me to/from work economically. I’m not 100% convinced I’d be thrilled with it for the long haul, so I’m thinking of doing a 3 year lease.

So that’s sorta the background. I drove a base Sport last night, and mostly enjoyed it but I wanted a couple thoughts on some things:

-Sitting in the showroom in a Sahara, I noticed the door check strap (think that’s what it was) was kind of curled out into the footwell, and kind of brushed up against my ankle. I didn’t notice this in the Sport I drove. Is this a thing, and is there a way to mitigate it? I think it would annoy the crap out of me.

-Driving it, it was way more refined than I remember, but it did seem to kind of wander back and forth a bit on the road. Felt like maybe the tires were overinflated (I should have checked, but didn’t). I’m used to driving a sedan, so it may just be normal, or it could be the one I drove or the pavement I was on. It wasn’t bad, and I’d probably get used to it, but it was the only thing that felt different than a normal SUV. Any thoughts?

-Finally, I am fairly particular in what I want, and the dealer couldn’t find anything that matched my spec so it would be a custom build, which I’m fine with. Basically, I’d do a red 4dr Sport S, with the 3.6L/8AT, limited slip, Tech, convenience, cold weather, trailer, 2 top, and Alpine. I’d also do the all-weather mats and the soft top window storage bag. I’ve read about the issues with the soft top storage bag and ordering, would that delay my whole build or would they just send it separately? Is there anything else objectionable about the build? I live in the ‘burbs so I don’t need the Rubicon (would love it, but just not worth the extra $$ for me, I don’t plan on extensively modding the Jeep, I know famous last words…) and I don’t think I need to step up to the Sahara because I don’t care about the leather or color matched stuff or the Nav (Apple carplay good enough for me).

Appreciate any thoughts anyone might
have on the above.
Good order similar to mine except cold weather (live in La) and Alpine.

I don’t like to finance options I can later add myself. The options you listed are definitely worth it from the factory.

OP
OP
S2k Chris

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
it would be an order for a 2019, 2018 ordering closed.
Are you sure about this? Just checking because I am getting ready to finalize my order, and I want to make sure what I order is not subject to price hikes, loss of incentives, etc, as a result of getting a 2019 instead of a 2018. Sales guy assured me it will be 2018, but you know how informed those guys are...

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
1. Don't accept any JL withouth thorougly examining the frame first.
2. There is a good chance that many if not all of the 2018 JLs will be recalled due to poor frame welds according to NHTSA
3. Can't order a 2018...orders are closed. 2019 orders open 9/23 IIRC

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I'm not an offroad guy, but I'm a huge open-air guy (my other car is an S2000). I commute short distances, so this will be a fun around-town errand runner and something to haul the kids top down when the S can't. My wife has the boring CUV (Acura RDX) for the long distance driving, etc.
You need merely a Sport . You will probably need 4H for ice and snow , and the mud and slush , but you won't even need 4L . You won't even need a hardtop if you sweater up . Be cool ; you will be . Best wishes . Once you own a Wrangler , you will never look back , ( literally ) .

(The too-big door check strap will hold your foot inside the strap as you exit the door , and trip you into the snowy slush , lol .)

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
There is a good chance that many if not all of the 2018 JLs will be recalled due to poor frame welds according to NHTSA
Huh? Can you elaborate on “according to the NHTSA?”

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Agree I had mine on a lift a an off-road shop this past wknd - their welder didn’t see any issues on my frame - I had him look based on a couple of threads of what appear to be sub par welds

Sponsored

OP
OP
S2k Chris

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Submitted my paperwork last night, dealer swears up and down they are ordering a 2018. We'll see what happens.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Thats what a higher up at NHTSA told me after looking at the pic of jl welds on this forum. Said there is no way that these are acceptable.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Thats what a higher up at NHTSA told me after looking at the pic of jl welds on this forum. Said there is no way that these are acceptable.
OK, I buy that for the folks who have bad welds and filed complaints. But “most if not all” 2018 JLs? I’m not buying that.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Submitted my paperwork last night, dealer swears up and down they are ordering a 2018. We'll see what happens.
Did the dealer give you a copy of your order , so you can see for yourself ? Mine did .

OP
OP
S2k Chris

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Did the dealer give you a copy of your order , so you can see for yourself ? Mine did .
I signed the paperwork at about 730 last night, I assume they were going to submit it today. They gave me the pre-order form to show what would be input. I texted my sales guy about 30 min ago to see if they were able to submit today, we'll see what he responds with.
Sponsored