Sponsored

Post your pics with plastidip rims

Bszczepanski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I’m thinking of using plastidip on my rubicon rims to give them a blackout look.

Has anyone done this yet? Please post your pics!!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bszczepanski

Bszczepanski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Here's mine:

20180310_180135-01-X3.jpg

20180310_181714-02-X3.jpg
Looks great!!! Thank you!!! Can’t decide on which rims I absolutely love. I’m going to put 37s cooper stt pros and was wondering if I should just keep the factory rims to save some money.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Bob, your wheels look they were done at the factory. Can the brake calipers be sprayed with plasticdip and withstand the heat?
The plastidip is incredibly easy to spray. As long as you just do tons of light coats, you really can't mess it up. It dries supper fast, especially the more you have on the wheel. It holds up really well on the wheel, but I have no idea how it would do on the calipers. I'm not sure if it will handle high temps.

Sponsored

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Stupid question, but I assume you take the wheels off to spray them right? I want to do this but don't currently have access to a lift to take off more than 2 wheels at a time which would significantly slow down the taping, painting, and waiting for them to dry.

dave.j.fisher

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
When I did my JK wheels, I took all of them off. If you youtube it, some people just wrap plastic around the back of the wheel/tire and leave them on the vehicle as they spray. I think the best way is just remove it, but either should work.

Sponsored

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
When I did my JK wheels, I took all of them off. If you youtube it, some people just wrap plastic around the back of the wheel/tire and leave them on the vehicle as they spray. I think the best way is just remove it, but either should work.
We put garbage bags behind the wheel and sprayed tire shine on the edge of the wheels to allow for overspray. That way it just peels right off! On the back wheel we tapes up the camera. Taking it off would make spraying easier for sure.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Stupid question, but I assume you take the wheels off to spray them right? I want to do this but don't currently have access to a lift to take off more than 2 wheels at a time which would significantly slow down the taping, painting, and waiting for them to dry.
I didn't have a lift. I took one wheel off at a time. I did it like this:

1. Took a wheel off the Jeep
2. Armor all on the tire (this prevents the plastidip from sticking to the tire.
3. Piece of masking tape around the valve stem.
4. Spray a coat of Plastidip on the wheel.
5 Wait 5 minutes or so for it to dry enough.
6 Spray another coat. Let it dry.
7. Repeat until the wheel looks the way you want it.

I spent about 30 minutes per wheel total. Probably 10 minutes of that was taking the wheel/tire off and putting it back on so about 20 minutes of spraying and waiting for the wheel to dry each time.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Do the dipped wheels need to be re-balanced?
Sponsored