Sponsored

post-purchase Extended Warranty recommendations?

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
Interesting. Checked out Ziegler for the Mopar warranty, and they say if you have a non-Mopar lift or lift greater than four inches, you do not qualify for the plan. Anyone with a lift out there have an extended warranty?
Well that sucks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
kogar

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
Well that sucks.
This is unsurprising, because Jeep does not recommend a lift exceeding 4" (per engineering specs). It does not, however, void your entire warranty. But the problem you will have is challenging a dealer about whether something is still covered by warranty (for instance, power steering pump goes bad - service manager can claim it was from additional stress of the lift).

I think if you were a service manager, you would also be a bit wary of people making warranty claims when their vehicles are modified beyond recommended limits.

DrBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
This is unsurprising, because Jeep does not recommend a lift exceeding 4" (per engineering specs). It does not, however, void your entire warranty. But the problem you will have is challenging a dealer about whether something is still covered by warranty (for instance, power steering pump goes bad - service manager can claim it was from additional stress of the lift).

I think if you were a service manager, you would also be a bit wary of people making warranty claims when their vehicles are modified beyond recommended limits.
Even with a non-Mopar lift less than 4", the fine print states not eligible for an extended warranty, regardless of the component. I suppose this will require some time on the phone asking pointed questions.

"Mopar Vehicle Protection (MVP) Plans are available for personal use new, certified and pre-owned (used) vehicles. Vehicles (including CERTIFIED) within 36 months of the original in-service date and with less than 36,000 miles are eligible for new Maximum Care, Added Care Plus, Powertrain Care Plus plans. A Mopar Vehicle Protection Lift Kit contract must accompany all new 5-8 year limited mileage MVP service contracts sold on Jeep Wranglers, Jeep Gladiators and Ram 1500s equipped with a Mopar Lift Kit up to 4-inches, otherwise the mechanical service coverage will not be honored. Vehicles eligible for mechanical service coverage that are older than 36 months past the in-service date and/or with more than 36,000 miles can be warrantied with used Mopar Vehicle Protection plans. Feel free to contact us with your VIN number if you are not sure of your in-service date."

OP
OP
kogar

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
Even with a non-Mopar lift less than 4", the fine print states not eligible for an extended warranty, regardless of the component. I suppose this will require some time on the phone asking pointed questions.

"Mopar Vehicle Protection (MVP) Plans are available for personal use new, certified and pre-owned (used) vehicles. Vehicles (including CERTIFIED) within 36 months of the original in-service date and with less than 36,000 miles are eligible for new Maximum Care, Added Care Plus, Powertrain Care Plus plans. A Mopar Vehicle Protection Lift Kit contract must accompany all new 5-8 year limited mileage MVP service contracts sold on Jeep Wranglers, Jeep Gladiators and Ram 1500s equipped with a Mopar Lift Kit up to 4-inches, otherwise the mechanical service coverage will not be honored. Vehicles eligible for mechanical service coverage that are older than 36 months past the in-service date and/or with more than 36,000 miles can be warrantied with used Mopar Vehicle Protection plans. Feel free to contact us with your VIN number if you are not sure of your in-service date."
They can say what they want, but warranties are FEDERALLY PROTECTED. If a service manager is being a jerk, and you disagree, be ready to lawyer up. Read Magnuson-Morris Act.

OP
OP
kogar

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel

That clause is illegal. Again, you can pay for a lawyer to argue the case, or just pay a local jeep shop to fix it on your dime. I'd say the latter will be cheaper, but I don't know if you have a family attorney on retainer.

Sponsored

DrBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
That clause is illegal. Again, you can pay for a lawyer to argue the case, or just pay a local jeep shop to fix it on your dime. I'd say the latter will be cheaper, but I don't know if you have a family attorney on retainer.
It might not be a bad idea for all Wrangler owners to have an attorney on retainer. I'm not going to enter into a contract that specifically excludes my vehicle and then try to argue about it later, that's just plain dumb. My local dealership service department even gives me shit over the basic 3/36 warranty and TSB's.
What it comes down to is this: Is there anybody out there with a <4" non-Mopar lift that has an extended warranty? And if so, through who? If there's coverage available I still have 5800 miles to decide if I even want to purchase.
Does everyone out there with an extended warranty have a completely stock vehicle? If not, are they aware of any fine print that will lead to claims denials down the road?
I've sent an email to Tom Winkels to see if I can get a final answer to my question. If this class of vehicles is excluded, oh well. At least I can lobby FCA to remove me from the extended warranty marketing list.

OP
OP
kogar

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
I've sent an email to Tom Winkels to see if I can get a final answer to my question.
That's exactly what I would have done.

BTW, My '20 Rubi Diesel is about to get a 3.5" Metalcloak Game Changer lift. I certainly don't expect FCA to repair any of those components, but if they say my whole warranty is void even though all I needed was an air-conditioner repair, they WILL hear from my lawyer (or a federal attorney).

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
That's exactly what I would have done.

BTW, My '20 Rubi Diesel is about to get a 3.5" Metalcloak Game Changer lift. I certainly don't expect FCA to repair any of those components, but if they say my whole warranty is void even though all I needed was an air-conditioner repair, they WILL hear from my lawyer (or a federal attorney).
That's the issue I have with this. It's not just a lift over 4", it's ANY non-Mopar lift. I did a 3.5" Metalcloak GC last week and I'd like to know how that lift could have anything to do with the radio or A/C or radiator or DPF or DEF or (insert non suspension component here) to fail.

It's like saying you can't buy the extended warranty if you use any fuel brand besides Shell.

OP
OP
kogar

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
It's like saying you can't buy the extended warranty if you use any fuel brand besides Shell.
Precisely.

From the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act: Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty. This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions.

If a dealership said my entire warranty was voided by a mod (within respectable engineering tolerances), I would sue the hell out of them. Not only would I win, the service manager could be hit with a federal felony.

On the other hand, I have a strict "no asshole" policy when it comes to servicing my jeep. If a dealership is acting like a jerk, I'll take my business elsewhere, regardless of the distance I need to drive.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
When you purchase an extended warranty online, say through Ziegler, they're not inspecting your Jeep first. So if you have modifications which violate the terms of the extended warranty, you can roll the dice by still getting the extended warranty. Then you'd have to count on your service department to honor the warranty on repairs which were not caused by your non-Mopar lift (see Magnuson-Moss Act). I would think it to be difficult for a service dept. to decline a warranty repair on the motor, PCM, or any electronics and claim it was caused by non-Mopar lift. But a lawyer or threat of one might be needed to get them to honor the warranty.

If your service department is difficult to work with, then it's probably a bad bet. But if your service department has been easy to work with, then might be worth the money for the extended warranty.
Not saying that's what I did and not saying I didn't.......;)

Sponsored

DrBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
OK gang- just when you thought it wouldn't be any crazier- hold my beer. Tom suggested I call Mopar Vehicle Protection to get a definitive answer regarding lift kits and extended warranty. According to MPV (essentially FCA), a Jeep lifted greater than 2" (two inches) is not eligible for any of their plans. Everything is clear as mud. At least we had a chuckle when I responded that size does matter even if it's my 2.5".

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
OK gang- just when you thought it wouldn't be any crazier- hold my beer. Tom suggested I call Mopar Vehicle Protection to get a definitive answer regarding lift kits and extended warranty. According to MPV (essentially FCA), a Jeep lifted greater than 2" (two inches) is not eligible for any of their plans. Everything is clear as mud. At least we had a chuckle when I responded that size does matter even if it's my 2.5".
So does that mean the MOPAR 2” lift kit, which apparently lifts more than 2”, would also invalidate the contract?

DrBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
So does that mean the MOPAR 2” lift kit, which apparently lifts more than 2”, would also invalidate the contract?
Probably not. It's advertised as 2". Tom Winkels is going to be doing some more research. I suspect "more to come."

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I've also heard over the years that a lift greater than 2" will void any otherwise related coverage. Also, the Mopar MaxCare extended plan is not a warranty, it is a service contract, so forget about anything to do with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act if a dealer denies coverage.

jroever

First Name
Jens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I just talked to Mopar Warranty Department (suggested by Tom) to see if I could get coverage for motor and transmission with 3.5" non-mopar lift - he said with anything lifted above 2" I might not get any reimbursement even if it is not related to lift, non-mopar <= 2" would still be ok . So here is what I am thinking of doing - LoL - I will just keep my original springs ... if I need to get any warranty work done I will swap just the springs back in ... :)
Sponsored