Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I've had clutches in 150hp-600hp cars, never had to think when starting off. This thing, I either over rev or nearly stall. It's more work than it should be. Last week ACT clutch had a 30% off sale. I hesitated, wanted to decide on a shop for install first, didn't get around to it, just too busy
"This thing, I either over rev or nearly stall.".. had the same problem and I finally figured out what it was ..my ignition coils were faulty straight from the factory.. on both cylinder banks ...so all these posts you see about pinging and bouncing RPM needles are possibly the crappy ignition coils .. I'm positive that whole bunch of us are suffering from this malady ..but even the mechanics at the dealers dont know how to fix it so they tell you oh but that is normal
Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
"This thing, I either over rev or nearly stall.".. had the same problem and I finally figured out what it was ..my ignition coils were faulty straight from the factory.. on both cylinder banks ...so all these posts you see about pinging and bouncing RPM needles are possibly the crappy ignition coils .. I'm positive that whole bunch of us are suffering from this malady ..but even the mechanics at the dealers don't know how to fix it so they tell you oh but that is normal. These things already are defective straight from assembly line

Gossamer

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, Tesla M3P
"This thing, I either over rev or nearly stall.".. had the same problem and I finally figured out what it was ..my ignition coils were faulty straight from the factory.. on both cylinder banks ...so all these posts you see about pinging and bouncing RPM needles are possibly the crappy ignition coils .. I'm positive that whole bunch of us are suffering from this malady ..but even the mechanics at the dealers dont know how to fix it so they tell you oh but that is normal
How did you figure this out? Did you test or just swap them out? Do you remember what brand you went to?

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
How did you figure this out? Did you test or just swap them out? Do you remember what brand you went to?
Testing them out, to me, was a waste of time since you gotta take the intake out of the way just to take them out. I already knew something was off just the first thousand miles on the odo because I would get loss of power exactly at the same rpms (1400) cosistenlly.. and then other smaller spots under the (2000)rpm range .. now this wasn't trough the whole rev range, but these were split second blips that jerked the engine ever so lightly.. also I was starting to get pinging and it got to the point that for while, higher octane made the problem (pinging ) go away .. but as milage compounded (about 22k as of now) it would start pinging again so from my experience I already knew what the issue was.... also , I might add, I felt a progressive loss of power... it was a bit more of chore to get the thing moving from first gear .. basically what you described on your vehicle from your previous post. The coils from the factory were junk to begin with and I would bet that Im not the only one that had to deal or will deal with this problem...the funny thing is I didn't smell raw gas in the exhaust as is typically the norm when one has poor combustion ..that kind of was throwing me off... but you could feel the engine missing on some combustion cycles when one would stick it in reverse.. it was real difficult keeping the engine from choking out .. now i stick in reverse and dont even have to touch the throttle ..just modulate the clutch. I replaced them with a brand called TRQ. Have a couple hundred miles on them and so far all seems good ..no more jerking felt at the 1400 rpm range .. much smoother torque curve for sure. Also if someone is to do this I would recommend that they do the plugs too.

Sponsored

ronstar

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, 2021 2dr JL 80th Ann
22.3 mpg local errand runner. Hardly any highway miles

Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 3.42.49 PM.png

Scott.B

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Drama Llama
22.3 mpg local errand runner. Hardly any highway miles

Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 3.42.49 PM.png
Your tires are really nearly 50 psi? No expert myself I just found that to look really high to me. I was like whoa, I thought mine get high at 38 or 39 depending on weather but generally 35psi

HK1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 2dr sport 3.6etorq AT
not gonna bother to post, my average econ for mostly city driving is 23.5. occasional full throttle acceleration after all temperature are good. 3.6 v6, 32 psi, 31.2 inch wheels. loving the comfortable ride.

Sponsored

Dmg1985

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Just fyi that's NOT 13.3 gallons! If I'm not mistaken that's the equivalent of 17.169g. That's in my 3.6L,..err .951g V6 Unlimited Rubicon.

PXL_20230808_160947029.jpg

ronstar

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, 2021 2dr JL 80th Ann
Your tires are really nearly 50 psi? No expert myself I just found that to look really high to me. I was like whoa, I thought mine get high at 38 or 39 depending on weather but generally 35psi
I got new tires and this PSI is where the tire shop installed them at. I thought 50 was high - I'll take out some air for winter.

Scott.B

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Drama Llama
I got new tires and this PSI is where the tire shop installed them at. I thought 50 was high - I'll take out some air for winter.
Yeah mine go back and forth in PSI with our crazy weather I was just curious.

UncleJimmy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR; 2016 Toyota Tundra
37 is what mine says on the door placard for the JLUR BFG KO2s. For winter snow storms where there is ice present I run at 25 psi.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

You'll get better mileage at 50 PSI, but that will also increase the wear down the center of your tires as well as negatively impact your ability to corner, brake, and fundamentally get traction.
Sponsored