Sponsored

Post a screenshot of your average MPG here!

High or Low AVG MPG's

• Total voters

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
This was on a six hour trip to Hilton head with four adults and luggage/purchases for five days. Interstate speeds at 79mph

C33B385A-2AB4-4A32-9BE9-DFC85143FA2C.jpeg
Sponsored

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
A big part of fuel efficiency is driving style. There are small things you can do to make big improvements.
  • Fist and foremost, look/plan ahead. If you're approaching an intersection and you see a red light, don't drive right up to the light and brake hard to a stop. Ease off the throttle before you get there, and maybe even coast a bit. You should come in at a speed that allows you to break easy/soft when you have to stop. A lot of times the light will change as you get there and you can then ease back into the throttle to get back up to speed.
  • Speaking of slowing down. You mentioned driving a manual. It may be fun to hear the engine/exhaust as you down shift, but don't use the engine/transmission to slow you down by downshifting as you approach a stop. Every time that tach jumps up as you row through the gears you're consuming fuel. It's okay to shift, but let the brakes slow you down, not the engine.
  • When you accelerate away from a stop (or even from a slower speed) don't mash the gas to get going. I'm not saying to baby it, but if you're running the tach up to/near the red line with every shift you're not doing yourself any favors. We always referred to it as "granny shifting" but by shifting at lower rpms you'll burn less fuel.
  • As for freeway driving, don't zig-zag and jockey for position. Get to a cruising speed and maintain it. From a purely physics standpoint it is more efficient to maintain a speed than it is to increase it. So every time you have to speed up, even if it's a minimal amount like 5 mph you're being less efficient. That's one of the big reasons why trying to drive 5-10 over the limit is less efficient than at the limit. When you drive the posted limit you can usually hang out in the right lane without ever adjusting your speed. When you go faster than that you get jammed up behind the slow semi who chose to pass in the other slow semi, you get get bottle necked behind the guy who doesn't know how to merger, etc. Every time you encounter those people you have to slow down a bit. Then you speed back up to your target speed and consume extra fuel.
  • Likewise, don't tailgate. I know a lot of people think "drafting" is efficient. On a race car at 1 foot following distance, while on a race track, sure. In the real world, not so much. You may save a little fuel while you follow someone real close, but the problem is that every time the tap the brake you'll likely do the same. Now you're back to the whole speed up and use extra fuel issue.
  • The other issue with driving fast is that the engine runs at a higher rpm. So not only do you use more fuel to get to your target speed, but you'll be cruising at a higher rpm which uses more fuel.

TLDR: A few minor changes.
Plan ahead and be easy on the brakes.
Don't use the transmission/engine to slow you down.
Ease into the throttle, and/or shift sooner.
Pick a cruise speed that allows you to maintain that speed.
Don't tailgate.
Slow down.

Do those things and you'll be more efficient. Some people don't enjoy the ride when they drive like that. If that's the case, just consider the lower fuel economy as part of the cost of driving more "spiritedly".
The biggest thing hurting my fuel economy is that I drive in town about 90% of the time, but even on the highway I don't see a major improvement. I always shift between 2-3k RPM, never at redline. I rarely use the transmission to slow me down. I tend to drive around 65 and don't try to race around, partly because I'm getting too old for that crap and partly because I'd have to drop to 4th gear all of the time. 5th and 6th have zero pick up.

RedLine

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon (replaced 2018 Cherokee Trailhawk), 2013 JK Sport (Bought for Daughter)
Here are my results after about 3 weeks and 875 miles in my Rubicon: 14.7 Avg MPG. This is the 3.6L and my driving mix so far is about 60% City / 40% Freeway. I have the 2" Mopar lift, 315/70/17 Falken AT tires steel bumpers, hardtop.

Not as good as I thought it would be, probably the Rubicon gearing has something to do with it too. Oh well, smiles per mile :)

MPG AT 875 MI.jpg

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
The biggest thing hurting my fuel economy is that I drive in town about 90% of the time, but even on the highway I don't see a major improvement. I always shift between 2-3k RPM, never at redline. I rarely use the transmission to slow me down. I tend to drive around 65 and don't try to race around, partly because I'm getting too old for that crap and partly because I'd have to drop to 4th gear all of the time. 5th and 6th have zero pick up.
Sounds like you're doing what you can to get the best possible result. As you're aware, that "city" driving is an efficiency killer.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I've got the 3.6 manual, on a sport with AT tires. I normally average around 21.5 mpg but I resent it when I got my oil changed.

20191018_112937.jpg
This is high average for me, its about 50% highway, 30% backroads, 20% city driving.

20191104_113133.jpg

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
This was on a trip from Winston-Salem, NC to Arlington, VA (Never drive in DC itself :surprised:) 60-65 MPH on the cruise control, I-40/85/95 for pretty much the whole way.

IMG_1907.JPG

RedLine

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon (replaced 2018 Cherokee Trailhawk), 2013 JK Sport (Bought for Daughter)
This was on a trip from Winston-Salem, NC to Arlington, VA (Never drive in DC itself :surprised:) 60-65 MPH on the cruise control, I-40/85/95 for pretty much the whole way.

IMG_1907.JPG
Wow!

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
3.6, Automatic, 255/70R18 Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure tires from the factory.
Thanks, good to know - my last variable, prior to ordering, was what engine, well that and color:). I always liked the 3.6L, however I'm not against new technology (2.0L). I plan on going with the 3.6L with automatic (to old to be clutching and shifting on a daily basis).

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, good to know - my last variable, prior to ordering, was what engine, well that and color:). I always liked the 3.6L, however I'm not against new technology (2.0L). I plan on going with the 3.6L with automatic (to old to be clutching and shifting on a daily basis).
I originally wanted the 2.0, but delays in the release of that engine caused me to just buy this one off the lot. I have since test driven one with the 2.0 and they perform so similarly that I just kept the V6. The Start/Stop with the BSG 2.0 is much smoother than the standard system on the V6 though.

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
I originally wanted the 2.0, but delays in the release of that engine caused me to just buy this one off the lot. I have since test driven one with the 2.0 and they perform so similarly that I just kept the V6. The Start/Stop with the BSG 2.0 is much smoother than the standard system on the V6 though.
I still plan on test driving a 2.0L, however I come from the KISS school of thought which is why I lean to the V6.
Sponsored