Sponsored

Post a screenshot of your average MPG here!

High or Low AVG MPG's

• Total voters

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I guess emissions depend on what you feed her.. It only matters in California though where they are banning regular cows and making laws that only electric cows can exist in the state.. :CWL:
If it is like some of the things the People’s Republic of California tried when I lived there like MTBE as an additive that proved to be a carcinogen that leaked into the ground water system. If I lived there (won’t ever happen again) I would just call my cow a goat. I bet they start mandating that you have to register your cows and getting bovine taxes for the legislature to waste.
Sponsored

OP
OP
¤|||||||¤

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
If it is like some of the things the People’s Republic of California tried when I lived there like MTBE as an additive that proved to be a carcinogen that leaked into the ground water system. If I lived there (won’t ever happen again) I would just call my cow a goat. I bet they start mandating that you have to register your cows and getting bovine taxes for the legislature to waste.
My cow self identifies as a goat:CWL::CWL:

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
It's pointless to compare. Terrain, speed and equipment as well as octane and engine and gearing will give you numbers all over the place.

I recently was pleasantly surprised though. Feeling a little envy of everyone on here talking about getting 22+ I was feeling like I got took. The EPA average seemed to me to be an average that does not include the Rubicon with the 4:10 gearing and larger tires. My BIL said he got 23 mpg frequently. My 2019 JLUR has been getting between 17.5 and 18.5. My Previous 2017 Sahara with the V6 got 17 on a great day and often in the 16 range. I don't know that I ever say more than 18 on a tank..

So this weekend I filled up in the mountains of WV and reset everything. Driving around on hilly roads but at 45 to 55 mph I got 21.7. Yea, pretty nice compared to my normal. So I filled up when I got home and today on the 4Lane instead of driving 75+mph I drove 65 or less and then drove on some 2 lane at under 55. I am getting 20.7 so far on the tank.

Obviously with the large flat frontal area there is a point where the aerodynamics of the flat front pushing air out of the way meets its point where mpg's go down drastically. At 55 mph even on hilly areas the 4cy turbo is giving me great results. Results I could never achieve with my Sahara V6, even on its best days. I can now see that people that live in flat land could indeed get 23+ mpg. I no longer feel like they are lying to us. But then again I figure so what? It all depends on what, where and how you drive.

OP
OP
¤|||||||¤

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
It's pointless to compare. Terrain, speed and equipment as well as octane and engine and gearing will give you numbers all over the place.

I recently was pleasantly surprised though. Feeling a little envy of everyone on here talking about getting 22+ I was feeling like I got took. The EPA average seemed to me to be an average that does not include the Rubicon with the 4:10 gearing and larger tires. My BIL said he got 23 mpg frequently. My 2019 JLUR has been getting between 17.5 and 18.5. My Previous 2017 Sahara with the V6 got 17 on a great day and often in the 16 range. I don't know that I ever say more than 18 on a tank..

So this weekend I filled up in the mountains of WV and reset everything. Driving around on hilly roads but at 45 to 55 mph I got 21.7. Yea, pretty nice compared to my normal. So I filled up when I got home and today on the 4Lane instead of driving 75+mph I drove 65 or less and then drove on some 2 lane at under 55. I am getting 20.7 so far on the tank.

Obviously with the large flat frontal area there is a point where the aerodynamics of the flat front pushing air out of the way meets its point where mpg's go down drastically. At 55 mph even on hilly areas the 4cy turbo is giving me great results. Results I could never achieve with my Sahara V6, even on its best days. I can now see that people that live in flat land could indeed get 23+ mpg. I no longer feel like they are lying to us. But then again I figure so what? It all depends on what, where and how you drive.
Not comparing.

More like wondering how some people have such high averages and ranges.

Numbers that Jeep doesnt even claim the Wrangler is capable of.

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Here is the trip odometer from our recent 1 week trip from Independence, Mo to Estes Park, Co o I70 running 70-75mph. Sightseeing in Rocky Mountain National Park for 4 days and a couple of hours of 4 wheeling in 4 Low one day. Then back to Independence, Mo on I70 . My stock 18 JLUR 3.6L Auto averaged 21.0 for the 1709 miles.
20190928_105243.jpg

Sponsored

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
I’m not really sure how accurate the computers estimation is. Only way to be sure if by checking when you fill up.

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Cherokee, 93 Wrangler, 19 Wrangler
Mine sees a lot of wheeling / 4-lo.

v-6, auto

3k miles on her and 14.2 total average. Running 35" tires for the last 2600 miles. I see well over 20 if I hang around 50mph, but drops bad when going over 70.

It totally screws my average when I go play in the sand dunes.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
If you’re crazy gentle on the accelerator AND you shift quickly you’ll do better. Also if you drive on the highway at 55 you’ll do a ton better.

my Volvo is 19/23 but if I keep the cruise on 55 (I just stay in the slow lane) I get to work with my Mpgs in the 30s. You spend a massive amount of energy fighting wind resistance above 45 and that’s in an aerodynamic car.

If I had a manual I’d find a good 10-20mi stretch and just keep it 55 in the highest gear it’ll take. Then do it again at 75. Betting a big difference. Do the same with an auto.

Doing 55 in a 65 has another advantage; you’re never on the brakes. The moment you touch the brakes you will spend gas accelerating back to speed.
I timed myself. It’s an extra 3mina to get to work, I don’t have to weave through traffic, my cruise never touches the brakes, there’s less wind noise with the windows open, and I get a 30% bump in fuel economy minimum.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Not comparing.

More like wondering how some people have such high averages and ranges.

Numbers that Jeep doesnt even claim the Wrangler is capable of.
I'm guessing their PR person said not to advertise higher mpg, because when some dumb ass doesn't get that 24mpg, they start yelling scam, fraud, and "I'm gonna sue them for lying to me". Blah blah blah

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If you’re crazy gentle on the accelerator AND you shift quickly you’ll do better. Also if you drive on the highway at 55 you’ll do a ton better.

my Volvo is 19/23 but if I keep the cruise on 55 (I just stay in the slow lane) I get to work with my Mpgs in the 30s. You spend a massive amount of energy fighting wind resistance above 45 and that’s in an aerodynamic car.

If I had a manual I’d find a good 10-20mi stretch and just keep it 55 in the highest gear it’ll take. Then do it again at 75. Betting a big difference. Do the same with an auto.

Doing 55 in a 65 has another advantage; you’re never on the brakes. The moment you touch the brakes you will spend gas accelerating back to speed.
I timed myself. It’s an extra 3mina to get to work, I don’t have to weave through traffic, my cruise never touches the brakes, there’s less wind noise with the windows open, and I get a 30% bump in fuel economy minimum.
In Los Angeles rush hour traffic, the flip side of this all is that while the one guy that is "super-mile-ing" is getting great mileage, the dozens of daily commuters breaking hard to avoid him, accelerating back to the flow of traffic and are getting shitty mileage, not to mention the potential fender bender collisions. Overall, the flow around the "super-miler" is getting less mpg. The planet didn't benefit. It might work in places with less traffic, but SoCal freeways run at 110% during rush hour.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
In Los Angeles rush hour traffic, the flip side of this all is that while the one guy that is "super-mile-ing" is getting great mileage, the dozens of daily commuters breaking hard to avoid him, accelerating back to the flow of traffic and are getting shitty mileage, not to mention the potential fender bender collisions. Overall, the flow around the "super-miler" is getting less mpg. The planet didn't benefit. It might work in places with less traffic, but SoCal freeways run at 110% during rush hour.
I hear ya. I promise I’m not an a-hole. I work nights so I’m going against the flow. Very little traffic and 4 lanes each way. I stay far right The other side of the highway is bumper to bumper. I’m a 20min drive to and from work. If I worked days that would be over an hour.

Reason #458 I work nights.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I hear ya. I promise I’m not an a-hole. I work nights so I’m going against the flow. Very little traffic and 4 lanes each way. I stay far right The other side of the highway is bumper to bumper. I’m a 20min drive to and from work. If I worked days that would be over an hour.

Reason #458 I work nights.
No sweat. I was venting a bit. I see it here during rush hour sometimes. Usually a Prius or similar. They buy a little super econo car and then drive it like Granny to play games on their mileage computers to see how much fuel economy they can get. On the otherhand, Tesla model S drivers are usually leadfoots. They pay $100k for a car and get free fuel anywhere but home. But, lets face it, if you can afford a $100k car, it doesn't matter about fuel economy.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
mine is 14 if I baby and those people drive me nuts
Couldn't have said it better myself

But how? How did you get 28mpg? How.
My argument is, if someone can actually achieve 28mpg avg, why won’t FCA market the JLs as such, what are you doing that nobody else are to get those numbers? Is this repeatable?
I’m really curious to see the math behind it.
EXACTLY. These threads are always around. Had one for the Grand Cherokee and another sporty car I had. I can't even get half of what some people claim. I don't feel like folks are lying but I just don't get it. In one car I had I literally drove it and made sure I was so light on the pedal I stayed in eco mode for an entire tank and my avg increased by like 2 MPG's.

2018 JLUR 3.6 bone stock was getting about 16 MPG. I then added a million pounds in bumpers, belly pans, heaviest wheels and tires you can buy in 35" and a few other mods and dropped down to 14 MPG. I will get a screenshot later. Oh yeah and I always use 87 octane.

palumbum

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Sport
But how? How did you get 28mpg? How.
My argument is, if someone can actually achieve 28mpg avg, why won’t FCA market the JLs as such, what are you doing that nobody else are to get those numbers? Is this repeatable?
I’m really curious to see the math behind it.
I got roughly 33mpg on the highway driving to myrtle beach airport. 87 fuel, stock sport 2.0 with eTorque going all highway, no traffic, from speeds of 45-70mph. I replicate this almost every time. At the end of a normal week or two I average 24-27, never below. I'm light on the acceleration if that helps, but I'm fully stock

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I use the Fuelly app to track mileage on all my vehicles, I've only filled up 2 times so far, but I'll post back later when I've filled up a few more times... So far 21-22mpg.
Sponsored