Sponsored

Post a screenshot of your average MPG here!

High or Low AVG MPG's

• Total voters

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I've seen people posting screenshots of averaging mpgs in the 24's, 25's and as high as 28mpg with ranges of 400-500+ ranges.

.........do these number really exist or are people somehow fudging there claims?
Yes they exist.

mpg road trip.jpg

This was from a road trip to northern MI from June of this year. I got 26.7 mpg. I hand calculated when I filled a few hours later, and this was pretty close to what I calculated.
For details, I have a 4 door, Sahara, automatic with a 2" lift and hard top. I've got 34" KM2's and V6 burning 89 octane gasoline. I set the cruise at 65 mph and stay in the right lane so all the speeder can pass if they want to, so I rarely have to speed up or slow down. Maintaining speed is the key to efficiency because it keeps the rpm's down..
As you can see this is 168 miles, and 2 hours 47 minutes into the trip. If you do the math it works out to 60.6 mph, which accounts for the time spent on surface streets, but it was mostly interstate. This portion of the trip was pretty flat as I was heading southbound toward Ohio. I snapped the photo when I stopped at Cabela's because I was amazed at how well it was doing on fuel.

No way!! Theres more to this....that's impossible.

I'm not stupid by a long shot.

no way 30 average no way beat it
If I can get nearly 27 with my setup, I absolutely believe someone can get to the 30 mpg range with no lift, on stock tires. To be fair, they're probably not doing it at 70+ mph, but with the right conditions, I can see it happening.

But how? How did you get 28mpg? How.
My argument is, if someone can actually achieve 28mpg avg, why won’t FCA market the JLs as such, what are you doing that nobody else are to get those numbers? Is this repeatable?
I’m really curious to see the math behind it.
Someone already mentioned it, but the issue is that FCA is testing in a lab with specific guidelines on HOW the test must be done. The idea is to establish an AVERAGE mpg consumers can expect. It's reasonable that some people get better than reported efficiency because some people are getting worse than reported. As expected, that make the average land right round the reported numbers.
The EPA guidelines ensure that all manufacturers are testing the same way, so the consumer has a number that can be accurately compared.

Because they are driving in a more efficient manner than the EPA test standard. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml
Exactly my point. Thank you.

Exactly. How are some people getting such high numbers?

Honestly, I call bs.

Most screenshots are of brand spanking new Jeeps. Mine was like that first few tank fill ups.
Anyone with 5000 miles plus on there Jeep can claim these numbers?
My screen shot was when my Jeep was 11 months old. Not a lot of miles on it at just under 7,000, but still not fresh off the lot.

Why is Jeep claiming much lower averages then?
See above. They have to, because they have to report the average, as tested by the required methods.
Don't forget people ALSO get below the advertised average. Jeep doesn't have to claim the low end either, they only report the average.

....Just driving 60 mph instead of 70 mph, will reduce the horsepower required around 30% or more.......
This is probably the biggest factor in efficiency. These things are, and always have been, like driving a wall (or a barn :like:) down the roadway. The faster you go the more it has to work to overcome the wind.

People always say the computer is optimistic. What makes people think the gas pump is telling you the correct amount of gas that you filled up with?
Because the state auditor certifies the pump, and they place their seal on it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
¤|||||||¤

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Yes they exist.

mpg road trip.jpg

This was from a road trip to northern MI from June of this year. I got 26.7 mpg. I hand calculated when I filled a few hours later, and this was pretty close to what I calculated.
For details, I have a 4 door, Sahara, automatic with a 2" lift and hard top. I've got 34" KM2's and V6 burning 89 octane gasoline. I set the cruise at 65 mph and stay in the right lane so all the speeder can pass if they want to, so I rarely have to speed up or slow down. Maintaining speed is the key to efficiency because it keeps the rpm's down..
As you can see this is 168 miles, and 2 hours 47 minutes into the trip. If you do the math it works out to 60.6 mph, which accounts for the time spent on surface streets, but it was mostly interstate. This portion of the trip was pretty flat as I was heading southbound toward Ohio. I snapped the photo when I stopped at Cabela's because I was amazed at how well it was doing on fuel.

If I can get nearly 27 with my setup, I absolutely believe someone can get to the 30 mpg range with no lift, on stock tires. To be fair, they're probably not doing it at 70+ mph, but with the right conditions, I can see it happening.

Someone already mentioned it, but the issue is that FCA is testing in a lab with specific guidelines on HOW the test must be done. The idea is to establish an AVERAGE mpg consumers can expect. It's reasonable that some people get better than reported efficiency because some people are getting worse than reported. As expected, that make the average land right round the reported numbers.
The EPA guidelines ensure that all manufacturers are testing the same way, so the consumer has a number that can be accurately compared.

My screen shot was when my Jeep was 11 months old. Not a lot of miles on it at just under 7,000, but still not fresh off the lot.

See above. They have to, because they have to report the average, as tested by the required methods.
Don't forget people ALSO get below the advertised average. Jeep doesn't have to claim the low end either, they only report the average.

This is probably the biggest factor in efficiency. These things are, and always have been, like driving a wall (or a barn :like:) down the roadway. The faster you go the more it has to work to overcome the wind.

My life is complete now

Thank you

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
LOL

@minutemen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '20 JLUR
Not a lot of miles so far but here it is. Completely stock 4 door rubicon 3.6/auto. Healthy mix of highway/city but mostly with the soft top down.

Snapchat-1406374589.jpg

OP
OP
¤|||||||¤

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Not a lot of miles so far but here it is. Completely stock 4 door rubicon 3.6/auto. Healthy mix of highway/city but mostly with the soft top down.

Snapchat-1406374589.jpg
My numbers almost look identical

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Yes they exist.

mpg road trip.jpg

I’m super curious what I can expect. I’m super light on the gas and drive almost all highway, 55 to and from work. Even in my car now I don’t care the speed limit is 65. There no traffic and I just enjoy setting it at 55 and relaxing for 20mins.

I plan on doing a stock rubicon 3.6 manual. The Manual is rated at better highway mileage than the 2.0. The bumpers I’ve debated the steel vs aftermarket aluminum. I like the look (and price) of the factory steel but I don’t want to add weight.

the only heavy thing I plan to add is about 200lbs of Rock slid engineering step slides so my elderly parents and 5yr old can get in.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
That reminds me. It's worth mentioning that I don't have a lot of weight in my Jeep either. I don't load it down with gear, it was just me on the trip, and I pack light when I go fish.

The other thing to note, is that the screen shot is NOT my typical mileage. It was a road trip over primarily flat terrain and a long steady speed. As GreyFox mentioned terrain matters. I live in NE Ohio (technically the foothills of the Appalachian mountains) and the roads around here are far from flat. Much like her area though, it's rural so most speed limits are 45-55 and there's not really any stop/go traffic to worry about. I assume my driving is what would be considered "highway" and my typical average is right about where FCA claims it should be. I wouldn't expect to get higher than they report, though it can be done given the right situation.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I've got the 3.6 manual, on a sport with AT tires. I normally average around 21.5 mpg but I resent it when I got my oil changed.

20191018_112937.jpg

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I've got the 3.6 manual, on a sport with AT tires. I normally average around 21.5 mpg but I resent it when I got my oil changed.

20191018_112937.jpg
2 or 4 door. Thanks. This give me hope I can do decent with a soft foot.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport

Bee-Rad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
22.0 since the last oil change. 2-dr Sport with the stock pizza cutters.

Better than the last JK got even on 235s and embarrasses my TJ.

IMG_20191019_140735.jpg
Sponsored