Sponsored

Post a screenshot of your average MPG here!

High or Low AVG MPG's

• Total voters

Mail311

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
I don’t have screenshots handy but I’m not going to type outrageous numbers so I should be okay. I drove my JLU sport s manual with the 3.6 and a soft top from PA to California and back, 7500 miles through pretty much every type of driving environment one could ask for in August after I bought it. My best full tank was on a leg of straight highway driving through the Midwest. I got about 22.5 mpg. Through the trip, I averaged about 20.5. The worst averages were out west where I was fighting wind and driving in 80 mph speed limits. My overall average through the first 15000 miles is about 18-19 mpg. The best I have ever done in a Jeep was 26 mpg in my 2 door jk with a manual on a 75 mile leg of driving in a 40 mph zone. My only thought with these folks getting huge numbers is that it’s uninterrupted, relatively level or mostly down hill driving with the turbo and a 2 door.

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I don’t have screenshots handy but I’m not going to type outrageous numbers so I should be okay. I drove my JLU sport s manual with the 3.6 and a soft top from PA to California and back, 7500 miles through pretty much every type of driving environment one could ask for in August after I bought it. My best full tank was on a leg of straight highway driving through the Midwest. I got about 22.5 mpg. Through the trip, I averaged about 20.5. The worst averages were out west where I was fighting wind and driving in 80 mph speed limits. My overall average through the first 15000 miles is about 18-19 mpg. The best I have ever done in a Jeep was 26 mpg in my 2 door jk with a manual on a 75 mile leg of driving in a 40 mph zone. My only thought with these folks getting huge numbers is that it’s uninterrupted, relatively level or mostly down hill driving with the turbo and a 2 door.
and NO wind or a tail wind.

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I do not have a screenshot or picture but I record all my fill ups. My last fill was at 4748 miles and my overall average is 18.8 MPG. This is mostly city driving with a couple of two to four hour trips thrown in. 3.6 Auto JLUS.

When we had the JKUS we would take the RAM on longer trips because it got better mileage with the HEMI MDS than the 3.6 in the JK.

MarkK10

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 1999 F250 Diesel, 2007 Mustang GT, 2015 Escape
FuelEconomy10162019.jpeg
2019 Wrangler Sport S, two door, soft top, V6, manual transmission. All stock including Michelin tires. Mostly suburban and country driving with some highway trips here in flat South Jersey. I am satisfied with the mileage so far.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I dont understand why you reset the avg MPG. Look, you are after the overall ave MPG. Resetting simply gives you the average for that tank of gas. What you are after, is your jeeps overall ave mpg. Leave the reset button alone and drive your jeep . You will get the true average mpg. I have never hit the reset button and the reading I get is my jeeps true overall average mpg.
None of the dash readings are giving you the "true overall average mpg." The only way to figure that out is to calculate it by hand - see my post on page 7 of this thread. You know how many miles are on your odometer, and if you know exactly how many gallons of fuel you've put into it, you can calculate overall mpg.

The computer is optimistic about your mileage to the tune of about .5 mpg. Additionally, as others have pointed out, the computer calculates a running total for the last -roughly- 500 miles. This bears out when I compare my Trip B average mileage (which I've never reset) to the average of the last 2 or 3 tanks versus what I know to be my overall mileage. Same thing for the fuel economy display with the green half-circle- if I reset that, it quickly (within a few tanks) comes close to what the actual average is for those few tanks (edit: and it matches my Trip B mileage, which -again- I have never reset) but is not the same as my actual overall average.

I know this was long-winded but the bottom line is that the one-and-only tried-and-true no-shit way to know your mileage is to record the number of gallons put into the jeep and compare it to the number of miles driven.

Reactions: Udi

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
“Sahara w 35s putting up 20”! Like i said its has some un-wrangler-like mpg, still kind of surprises me.
I also get 20 the highway but take it back on city roads with all these stop signs and I get below 15 mpg

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
From my Fuelly app

2292A7BB-E404-407A-942F-625C02E6DDD4.jpeg

Udi

First Name
Udi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR 2.0L, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
None of the dash readings are giving you the "true overall average mpg." The only way to figure that out is to calculate it by hand - see my post on page 7 of this thread. You know how many miles are on your odometer, and if you know exactly how many gallons of fuel you've put into it, you can calculate overall mpg.

The computer is optimistic about your mileage to the tune of about .5 mpg. Additionally, as others have pointed out, the computer calculates a running total for the last -roughly- 500 miles. This bears out when I compare my Trip B average mileage (which I've never reset) to the average of the last 2 or 3 tanks versus what I know to be my overall mileage. Same thing for the fuel economy display with the green half-circle- if I reset that, it quickly (within a few tanks) comes close to what the actual average is for those few tanks (edit: and it matches my Trip B mileage, which -again- I have never reset) but is not the same as my actual overall average.

I know this was long-winded but the bottom line is that the one-and-only tried-and-true no-shit way to know your mileage is to record the number of gallons put into the jeep and compare it to the number of miles driven.
Absolutely correct. It is disappointing that Jeep (both my Wrangler and my Cherokee do this) doesn't display a true running total - cumulative MPG. My Honda Accord does this, why can't Jeep?

Last edited:

Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What are people getting in city miles preferably big city miles. I live in Nyc and am planing to buy a jlu I only can afford one car. So it will be my daily won't be upgrading tire size unless maybe buy second hand Rubi rims and tires.
This is according to the computer, I don't care enough to actually measure it or keep track of it.

I'm getting around 12 with 3.6 auto (6600 miles), 38" tires (heavy, 85-90ea), light wheels (fifteen52s) and all steel rubi stuff. I'm specifically not running a rear tire right now because I don't need another 140lbs on the back of me downtown. I usually have ESS off because of the stop and go but sometimes it's on. I drive about 6 miles a day from downtown dallas to a neighboring "downtown" neighborhood. I'll post a picture later, these threads are almost always full of people proud of their mileage and not those of us getting 200 miles a tank. And I really don't go over 2500rpm or shove the gas, maybe once every few weeks.

Oh, and before anyone asks why i don't bike/walk to work, it's texas, it's miserable 8 months of the year. Believe me I would love that ability.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This is my Ram 1500 standard work truck. I have 500-600 pounds of tools in the back plus a tonneau cover, or for my relatives, a trunk lid....:giggle:.

Essentially the same engine and 8 speed auto as my Jeep. So I know this engine/ tranny combo is capable of good gas mileage, I guess just not in my rig....:facepalm:

It’s getting 10-12 mpg better than the Jeep. I guess weight and aerodynamics plays a big part.....:)

17A68A47-E7B5-4A57-B9F9-89B9B425D0C4.jpeg

Lil Red

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The computer is optimistic about your mileage to the tune of about .5 mpg.
People always say the computer is optimistic. What makes people think the gas pump is telling you the correct amount of gas that you filled up with?