Sponsored

Possibly buying 2018 CPO Rubi Unlimited today, what things to look for??

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
Thanks for your reply. It has 31k miles, sorry to mislead you with my post, but I completely agree with you and was going to build out a model. Luckily this wasn't a former rental and a lease turn in.

A couple things, I'm out a vehicle as mine was just bought back by a different manufacturer. So, I don't really have time to wait for an order. 8% below invoice is awesome, its still almost 13k more for the same exact specifications. Plus the only option that I'd want is the advanced safety group and maybe the auto 4x4.

One of my best friends has been selling jeeps for 30 years and told me this is a good deal if I didn't want to buy new and wait. He did also recommend ordering new as well.

At the price point I'm getting, if I decide I want to order one I can do so without taking much of a resale beating in a couple years. Its already almost 30% depreciated, and I'm buying it for "trade in" values via kbb and nada.

Lasty, we actually do some overlanding/camping and something about taking a brand spanking new 60k jeep on the trail is a little unnerving (we did it with out last vehicle). Something about all the stone hitting the underside and rocks scraping, a little sad on a vehicle with 100 miles on the odo. However, a jeep with 31k on the odo, with some minor wear is a little more palatable. With the money saved over new, that is a lot of trips and life experiences over the next few years.

Yeah, if you are in a hurry, then it is worth it...if you can find a way to wait it out 6-10 weeks, I would highly recommend building one yourself, especially if you only need a few options you could be at about $42K for a brand new build that no one has farted in yet with a call to Kent lol

Good luck!!!

let us know how it goes
Sponsored

OP
OP
NomadicTaco

NomadicTaco

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yeah, if you are in a hurry, then it is worth it...if you can find a way to wait it out 6-10 weeks, I would highly recommend building one yourself, especially if you only need a few options you could be at about $42K for a brand new build that no one has farted in yet with a call to Kent lol

Good luck!!!

let us know how it goes
Haha I think I did plenty of farting in it last night on my second test drive. I had some spicy chipotle the night before haha

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I have an 18 JLUR optioned out similar to yours. It has been in for the rear axle replacement twice, the steering box replacement and the replacement of both batteries. Every time I get a dash warning I tell myself I'm getting rid of the thing. Then two days after I get it back from the dealer, I'm in love again. I've resigned myself to the fact that there will be more issues I'll have to deal with on my own and that smile on my face is worth the cost. If you can do the same, you'll be a happy camper.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Having looked at used JLU's, it seems like you have gotten a good deal for used car prices today. I looked quite a few used JL that were either price higher than a equivalent model today or atleast priced more than the 5-7% below invoice I knew I could get on new one.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
May I ask what you think is a fair price for a full loaded JLUR?

Did not mean to offend...Was also thinking in 2-door terms, I ordered a 2020 JLR that listed near $50K and after negotiations and rebates paid under $44K plus tax and license. Couple that with at or near 0% interest, a full new car warranty and just suggesting you look at all options. Best of luck in any case and welcome to the Jeep family!

Sponsored

JeepersCreepers2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I have an 18 JLUR optioned out similar to yours. It has been in for the rear axle replacement twice, the steering box replacement and the replacement of both batteries. Every time I get a dash warning I tell myself I'm getting rid of the thing. Then two days after I get it back from the dealer, I'm in love again. I've resigned myself to the fact that there will be more issues I'll have to deal with on my own and that smile on my face is worth the cost. If you can do the same, you'll be a happy camper.
On the rear axle, did you have the same problem both times? Just wondered as I had mine replaced around 13K. Wondering if more pain is in my future with the D44?

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Medicolegal Death Investigator
Check that the 8.4 is getting a GPS signal. There seems to be a growing number of us whose air card has shit the bed, rendering nav and any other connected service (besides Sirius) worthless. Replacement of the whole radio seems to be the fix for ~$2k. Making an appointment to have my JLUR looked at for this very issue. It's a 2018.
Yeah mine is getting replaced now. 2018 with one month left on the manufacturer warranty so pretty good timing!

OP
OP
NomadicTaco

NomadicTaco

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
On the rear axle, did you have the same problem both times? Just wondered as I had mine replaced around 13K. Wondering if more pain is in my future with the D44?
Yes, I'm also curious about this. Luckily the CPO comes with the ended warranty and things like this should be covered but anything I can be aware of to look for or attempt to prevent such from happening would be great. Thanks!

OP
OP
NomadicTaco

NomadicTaco

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
May I ask what you think is a fair price for a full loaded JLUR?

Did not mean to offend...Was also thinking in 2-door terms, I ordered a 2020 JLR that listed near $50K and after negotiations and rebates paid under $44K plus tax and license. Couple that with at or near 0% interest, a full new car warranty and just suggesting you look at all options. Best of luck in any case and welcome to the Jeep family!
I wasn't offended, sorry to leading you to believe I was. I was genuinely curious as to what you thought was a fair price. I know buying vehicles around here is extremely difficult and more costly. I usually have to travel quite a ways to get a deal. I have before but, it didn't seem like anything was worth the trip this time.

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Recon, 99 Miata, 90 Silverado
My two cents, buy it. I don’t think you’re going to get a better deal. Have fun!

Sponsored

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Jeep Junkies,

I'm potentially buying a used 2018 Rubicon Unlimited CPO today. Has 30k on the odo. 1 owner. Clean carfax w/regular maintenance. Very clean inside and out. Doesn't appear to have ever been off road either. Has 4 brand new K02s as well. Hoping to land it around 40k.

Features: 3.6 v6 w/auto trans, Leather, cold weather group, black hardtop, color matched fenders, black wheels w/polished lip, safety group, tow/aux group, steel bumper group, 8.4in infotainment, remote start, proximity, and LED lighting group. Its firecracker red w/ the heritage tan leather. - so pretty close to fully loaded for the year -

Does anyone have any suggestions on things to look out for that are JL specific?

I buy cars very frequently, so I generally know what to look for but didn't know if anything with this model in particular. I have driven it once already and drove fine other than wind noisy freedom panels.

I plan to take it on an extended highway test drive today to make sure the steering isn't wanky. I also want them to possibly replace the seal on the hardtop (wind can only be heard above 50 mph).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first wrangler! Thanks!
I got my 2018 CPO JLUR w/ 13k miles in 2019 for 40k. Cold Wx Pkg, 8" Uconnect, Tow Pkg, Aux Switch Pkg, Steel Bumper Pkg, LED Pkg. The only option is didn't have was leather and painted fenders/hard top (which I didn't want anyway). I also got the V6 w/ 6 Spd M Trans. You should be able to get it for less than $40k. I flew from Sacramento to Utah to pick it up though.

Hilaryl1983

First Name
Hilary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ocean blue Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Check that the 8.4 is getting a GPS signal. There seems to be a growing number of us whose air card has shit the bed, rendering nav and any other connected service (besides Sirius) worthless. Replacement of the whole radio seems to be the fix for ~$2k. Making an appointment to have my JLUR looked at for this very issue. It's a 2018.
Yep, just had it replaced on my 2020 rubicon. Not sure why it’s crapping out on us and how the only fix is to replace the entire unit!!

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Haha I think I did plenty of farting in it last night on my second test drive. I had some spicy chipotle the night before haha
You need to find terrain where farting is only the beginning of something much more snifficant.

chris87114

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
To the OP, did you end up buying the JLUR? If you did, what kind of deal were you able to get? Where are you located?

I’m in a similar situation, and found a very similar 2018 JLUR at a dealer close buy with almost the same equipment and mileage (even the same color). I haven’t gone for a test drive yet as their asking price is $45k on the website which just seems too high. Like yours, it would likely sticker for around $60k now. I’d be more interested around $40k but even that is a lot for a 3 year old vehicle that doesn’t have a bumper to bumper for 3 years, and my guess is that they wouldn’t come down to $40k. But who knows until I’d go see. Trying to get my head around the current used market prices which seem a bit nutty. Not sure if it’s because of stimulus money or what that things seem to drastically more expensive than they should be right now.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Normally, I wouldn’t mind buying a CPO.

But there’ve been posts on these forums by members who bought a CPO JL only to get stuck with endless quality problems, which the dealers were unable to fix despite repeated visits, or the generous CPO warranty.

State laws are unclear when it comes to disposing of buyback vehicles. My hunch is that FCA may have found a loophole and has been repurposing buybacks as CPOs.

Given FCA’s history for stretching interpretation of the law, and what I’ve seen posted on here, I’d stay away from buying a CPO from FCA.
Sponsored