Sponsored

Possibly buying 2018 CPO Rubi Unlimited today, what things to look for??

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Make sur EIR has the steel not aluminum steering box, check the water pump for signs of leakage, check that all electrical items are working...
Sponsored

OP
OP
NomadicTaco

NomadicTaco

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Is this a 4 door? I paid 41k for a custom ordered fully loaded JLR delivered with 13 miles on it, wondering if your price seems a little high.
Yea this is the 4 door. To build this identical spec from jeep new today, it would 60.6k + delivery fee then minus whatever discount I'd get. The msrp on it back in 2018 was 55k+ and prices of these have gone up 3% per year since 2018 (ouch).

i paid 44.9k for my new 2021 rubicon, was only a 2dr however. no leather seats or hard top

you should probably check the vaule on kelly blue book before you come to a final price
Just checked the KBB for this 44192 - 49127 with typical listing 47260 - based upon my zip here.

Seems like a good deal to me. They have it listed for 42.5 and have offered it for 41.5 without much haggling. Thats why I was going to it close to 40k.

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security
Hello Jeep Junkies,

I'm potentially buying a used 2018 Rubicon CPO today. Has 30k on the odo. 1 owner. Clean carfax w/regular maintenance. Very clean inside and out. Doesn't appear to have ever been off road either. Has 4 brand new K02s as well. Hoping to land it around 40k.

Features: Leather, cold weather group, black hardtop, color matched fenders, black wheels w/polished lip, safety group, tow/aux group, steel bumper group, 8.4in infotainment, remote start, proximity, and LED lighting group. Its firecracker red w/ the heritage tan leather. - so pretty close to fully loaded for the year -

Does anyone have any suggestions on things to look out for that are JL specific?

I buy cars very frequently, so I generally know what to look for but didn't know if anything with this model in particular. I have driven it once already and drove fine other than wind noisy freedom panels.

I plan to take it on an extended highway test drive today to make sure the steering isn't wanky. I also want them to possibly replace the seal on the hardtop (wind can only be heard above 50 mph).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first wrangler! Thanks!
Haven't read other comments but other than determining if a Jeep is for you following a couple drives, make sure any Recall/Warranty stuff was addressed. I am about to sell my 2018 and went though 3 dealer visits on the steering, and two on the rear defrost/rear glass.

OP
OP
NomadicTaco

NomadicTaco

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Haven't read other comments but other than determining if a Jeep is for you following a couple drives, make sure any Recall/Warranty stuff was addressed. I am about to sell my 2018 and went though 3 dealer visits on the steering, and two on the rear defrost/rear glass.
Yeah I searched the VIN on mopar's website, and it looks like it had 3 recalls, and all are complete. 1 for the rear quarter windows, 1 for the steering dampener, and 1 for reprogramming the powertrain control module. Its a good sign they have been completed.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Look very closely around body panels near hinges (door, hood, etc..) for small paint bubbles or body corrosion.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NomadicTaco

NomadicTaco

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Look very closely around body panels near hinges (door, hood, etc..) for small paint bubbles or body corrosion.
Good call. I did look closely at the door hinges last time because I had read about people getting bubbling paint. They were perfect. I'm going to take close look around the hood. The rest of the panels looked good.

I used to be an auto damage adjuster years ago. I have a pretty keen eye for body work/paint, and general blemishes - Forever unseen! haha

OP
OP
NomadicTaco

NomadicTaco

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
OP
OP
NomadicTaco

NomadicTaco

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Update: took the JLUR on a 40 min highway ride. It does not have the tsb completed for the steering box but, it did not wonder at all, and the steering was very tight with no dead zone. I tried allowing it to drift in all 3 lanes of the highway without any issue.

The dealership is willing to complete the tsb for me anyway if I want but I would have to schedule it. They said the parts are on back order.

It appears the manuals, window sticker, both sets of keys, tools to remove the top, and the jeep recovery kit are present.

It does have a chip in the windshield on the drivers side that they are going to have filled per my request.

All electronics appear to be working correctly with the infotainment. Nav worked quickly, and I used the off road pages gauges to monitor the temps on the 40 min trip. All temps seemed to be fine to me.

I used a creeper to get under the jeep, I didn't see any scratches on the skid plate, and the welds appeared to be in good order.

All in all, it looks like a typical leased vehicle turn in. Maintained by the dealership, and very clean. Some minor scratches on the front fenders that I missed the last time, and also one on the top of the door. Looks like someone may have struggled putting the hard top back on and scratched the door. Not terribly so.

Tstraley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350. jlu.
My 2018 jlus still has the original aluminum steering box and seems to steer fine. It has almost 36,000 mi now and I have not noticed a change in steering since new. They did install a new steering stabilizer under a tsb and I never noticed a difference.

Sponsored

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
Does it have any "mods" on it? Someone on here said they bought one with a 10 gallon gas tank of all things, and they didn't tell him about it.

OP
OP
NomadicTaco

NomadicTaco

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Does it have any "mods" on it? Someone on here said they bought one with a 10 gallon gas tank of all things, and they didn't tell him about it.
Haha I think its bone stock. 10 gallon gas tank? Why?!?!?

Price seems a bit on the high side for a 2018...
May I ask what you think is a fair price for a full loaded JLUR?

Here is the information I posted earlier regarding this inquiry. It is by far the best deal within a very wide distance. I didn't state it was an unlimited, so that may be why you think its a little pricey.

To build this identical spec from jeep new today, it would 60.6k + delivery fee then minus whatever discount I'd get (I have been offered invoice by several places). The msrp on it back in 2018 was 55k+ and prices of these have gone up 3% per year since 2018 (ouch).

Just checked the KBB for this 44192 - 49127 with typical listing 47260 - based upon my zip here.

Seems like a good deal to me. They have it listed for 42.5 and have offered it for 41.5 without much haggling. Thats why I was going to close the deal at 40k.

Edit: just checked NADA guides for a second opinion compared to kbb and its clean trade of 42.1k and clean retail of 45.4k and CPO of 47.15k. It didn't have the option to select every little thing like kbb.

Last edited:

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
Just my .02 cents

I was in your position a few weeks ago, but quickly realized I was better off buying new for what dealers and private party are asking for used and the fact that 80% of the used JLU market were former rentals...some of these knucklehead dealers are asking more than the original window sticker for used ones...lmfao that they didn't realize the original window sticker shows up on the carfax...haha
it just made sense to me to stretch the budget a few grand and buy new....

The money you save now will be in the red when it comes time to resale considering it already has 30K miles and is three years older than a 2021 with updates....not too mention brand spanking NEW
that you can build yourself.....kinda cool to spec your own vehicle

Search the forums here and you'll find a dealer close enough to make it make sense to buy new.

I'm glad I came here first and did my research and found people talking about Kent in Idaho where I got 8% below invoice. I just Built a Sting Gray JLUR with everything I wanted with a $53,355 MSRP and got it for $47,255....I will gladly buy a $100 plane ticket and make a nice road trip 850 miles back home to So Cal for that deal!!! Can't wait!!!

my advice.....buy new

I usually like to save money and buy CPO's , I saved a ton of money on my BMW and Cayman by doing that, but it just didn't make it worth it when it came to the JL, as they are too closely priced to brand new ones and the fact you can find dealers on here that can get you a nice discount on new

Last edited:
OP
OP
NomadicTaco

NomadicTaco

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just my .02 cents

I was in your position a few weeks ago, but quickly realized I was better off buying new for what dealers and private party are asking for used and the fact that 80% of the used JLU market were former rentals...it just made sense to stretch the budget a few grand and buy new....

The money you save now will be in the red when it comes time to resale considering it already has 40K miles and is three years older than a 2021 with updates....not too mention brand spanking NEW
that you can build yourself.....

Search the forums here and you'll find a dealer close enough to make it make sense to buy new.

I'm glad I came here first and did my research and found people talking about Kent in Idaho where I got 8% below invoice. I just Built a Sting Gray JLUR with everything I wanted with a $53,355 MSRP and got it for $47,255....I will gladly buy a $100 plane ticket and make a nice road trip 850 miles back home to So Cal for that deal!!! Can't wait!!!

my advice.....buy new

I usually like to save money and buy CPO's , I saved a ton of money on my BMW and Cayman by doing that, but it just didn't make it worth it when it came to the JL, as they are too closely priced to brand new ones and the fact you can find dealers on here that can get you a nice discount on new
Thanks for your reply. It has 31k miles, sorry to mislead you with my post, but I completely agree with you and was going to build out a model. Luckily this wasn't a former rental and a lease turn in.

A couple things, I'm out a vehicle as mine was just bought back by a different manufacturer. So, I don't really have time to wait for an order. 8% below invoice is awesome, its still almost 13k more for the same exact specifications. Plus the only option that I'd want is the advanced safety group and maybe the auto 4x4.

One of my best friends has been selling jeeps for 30 years and told me this is a good deal if I didn't want to buy new and wait. He did also recommend ordering new as well.

At the price point I'm getting, if I decide I want to order one I can do so without taking much of a resale beating in a couple years. Its already almost 30% depreciated, and I'm buying it for "trade in" values via kbb and nada.

Lasty, we actually do some overlanding/camping and something about taking a brand spanking new 60k jeep on the trail is a little unnerving (we did it with out last vehicle). Something about all the stone hitting the underside and rocks scraping, a little sad on a vehicle with 100 miles on the odo. However, a jeep with 31k on the odo, with some minor wear is a little more palatable. With the money saved over new, that is a lot of trips and life experiences over the next few years.
Sponsored