Sponsored

Possible Transmission/Transfer Case Seal Issue? Please help me diagnose it!

tdoga2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I went under my 18 JLUR yesterday to change the oil and while I was under there I found evidence of an oily residue to the rear of the transmission and/or transfer case. It was all over the cross member too. I can't tell if it was red in color or not (comes off as black on the rag I used) but you can see where it's oily. I really don't believe it is engine oil either, as it was a straight 5 quarts out/in as measured. Plus there was no evidence of any leak around the engine oil pan.

Any ideas? If you do know what this is, what should I ask for from my dealer if it's the transfer case and/or transmission leaking? Fortunately, it's still under 3/36 warranty. Please see pics.

Thanks, --T

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
tdoga2

tdoga2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I should also note, I've seen no evidence of leaking fluid on the ground. No puddles in the garage, otherwise I'd have caught this much earlier. ;)

Gillytickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2.0 Turbo, 2" MOPAR lift
I'd say it's the tranny pan seal. Probably an optical illusion but looks like those rear bolts on there are loose.

OP
OP
tdoga2

tdoga2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: Dealer just called me and indicated it's a transmission pan leak. Lost only 1.5-2 quarts. I was told that they don't just replace the seal, they replace the whole pan. They're special ordering it and should have my Jeep back in a couple of days.

They also told me the air filter is "dirty". They offered to replace it for $59.95! I told them it was a K&N and I'll clean it. LOL. I put it in less than 10,000 miles ago. $59.95! Ridiculous attempted money grab.

Happy trails folks!
--T

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
UPDATE: Dealer just called me and indicated it's a transmission pan leak. Lost only 1.5-2 quarts. I was told that they don't just replace the seal, they replace the whole pan. They're special ordering it and should have my Jeep back in a couple of days.

They also told me the air filter is "dirty". They offered to replace it for $59.95! I told them it was a K&N and I'll clean it. LOL. I put it in less than 10,000 miles ago. $59.95! Ridiculous attempted money grab.

Happy trails folks!
--T
I know this is an old thread, but did the "fix" work? My 2020 JLR has the same issue, it's been leaking for over one year now, seven visits to the dealership. They have replaced the Tcase, the trans pan gasket and the output shaft seal, leaks now more than ever. I too never saw the leak hit my driveway. I finally made a formal request on Friday that Jeep buyback my JLR. Fun times ahead, I love mine but not the headaches.
Sponsored